PDA

View Full Version : Need Lessons in NYC

howard23
05-07-2005, 12:18 PM
After 25 years playing pool I think I qualify as a "pool shark". Seeking to pass on my skills to beginners and those with some knowledge to greatly improve your game at just $20.00/hr. + play time.(Manhattan,Queens or Brooklyn only) Prefer regulation but "bar tables" are ok. Call Howard @718-641-0889 or email: hkb23@earthlink.net /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PQQLK9
05-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Are you BCA Certified?

Stretch
05-07-2005, 01:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Are you BCA Certified? <hr /></blockquote>

Doubtful....More likely BS Certified. St.

Barbara
05-07-2005, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Are you BCA Certified? <hr /></blockquote>

More importantly, are you Master BCA certified?

Like Fran Crimi?

Barbara

wolfdancer
05-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Does Fran stay at Holiday Inns?

Stretch
05-07-2005, 02:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Does Fran stay at Holiday Inns? <hr /></blockquote>

What's that suppose to mean? St.

landshark77
05-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Guys...I think you all are missing the point...this guy has even said himself that he qualifies as a "Pool Shark". How many BCA certified people can say that??? Huh?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Vagabond
05-07-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Stretch,
in USA there is a TV commercial.In that commercial the guy claims that he is smart because he stayed in Holiday Inn express.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sneakypapi
05-08-2005, 03:16 PM

I wonder how important having a BCA certification is? I think that could be subjective. I am decent not great player and had the luxury of playing a local BCA certified instructor on Regulation tables in 8 and 9 ball and have beat him more than I expected. I understand they have to undergo certain types of tests, or show their skills in order to teach. Of course this is just one local respected teacher, so I can not judge all the local pros on that one instructor.

SPetty
05-08-2005, 04:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sneakypapi:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Are you BCA Certified? <hr /></blockquote>I wonder how important having a BCA certification is? ... I understand they have to undergo certain types of tests, or show their skills in order to teach. <hr /></blockquote>Yes, I wonder. Are you sure that BCA certified instructors have to undergo certain types of test, or show their skills in order to teach? I've never heard that before.

Fran Crimi
05-08-2005, 04:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Yes, I wonder. Are you sure that BCA certified instructors have to undergo certain types of test, or show their skills in order to teach? I've never heard that before. <hr /></blockquote>

Yup. There's training and testing involved to enter the program, and more training and testing to upgrade to higher levels. Instructors have to submit student feedback forms to the BCA every year to maintain their active status, and we also have mandatory continuing education seminars for all instructors.

The program has really evolved and continues to do so. The BCA teaching certificate isn't just a piece of paper with a signature on it. It really does mean something.

Fran

SPetty
05-08-2005, 05:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>The program has really evolved and continues to do so. The BCA teaching certificate isn't just a piece of paper with a signature on it. It really does mean something.<hr /></blockquote>Hi Fran,

I hope it didn't sound like I thought a BCA teaching certificate doesn't mean something. I know that training is involved, and I know student feedback is involved, but I had not heard that there are actual tests required to demonstrate the skill to teach, as indicated by the previous poster.

Is it a standardized test or series of tests that all instructor candidates are required to take?

Fran Crimi
05-08-2005, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
Is it a standardized test or series of tests that all instructor candidates are required to take?
<hr /></blockquote>

Hi SPetty,

Well, yes and no. How's that for an answer? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All upgrade candidates are required to take written tests, but the tests are composed and graded by the Academy where they take their upgrade course. The Instructor Program's official position on that is that there isn't just one way to teach pool, and instructors are encouraged to develop their own teaching style through the guidance of the academies.

Also, instructors looking to advance can only attend the same Academy twice for testing. So if they're serious about advancing, they will have to have exposure to the methodologies of different academies.

Fran

SPetty
05-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Hi Fran,
That's all good information. Thanks for the clarification.

randyg
05-10-2005, 05:38 AM
FRAN: You are the best. Great explanations. We are tested and re-tested in teaching areas, not the playing field.....SPF-Randyg