PDA

View Full Version : Custom cue selection, opinions?

mdavis
05-08-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm looking for a NEW players cue to use as my primary playing cue.

I'm not really interested in fancy inlays. I'd like just 0 points, but not a sneaky pete. Imagine a maple or cocobolo forearm, either irish linen, leather, or lizard wrap, and either cocobolo or maple butt-sleeve -- just plain, no inlays, no points, etc.

Instead, I want to buy a cue that:

1. Will hit as good as any cue on the planet (SW, gina, etc)
2. Will be constructed as well as any cue on the planet.

I'd like to find the best wood, the best ferrules, best joints, tips, etc. I realize a lot of this will be user preference.

Some parameters:

1. I think I need a longer taper and a smaller butt diameter due to my relatively small hands
2. I prefer linen and leather to a plan wood wrap
3. I'd like to try the Medium Moori III tip
4. 12-13mm shaft diameter
5. Joint compatibility with the 314/Z would be nice.
6. Stainless, Ivory, or composite joint preferred over wood/wood.
7. 58" is fine
8. around 19oz to 20.5oz, probably prefer around 19.5.

If I go production, I think it would be:

1. Pechauer PS03 (new pro-line)
2. Schon STL-1

In that order.

Or, should I go custom?

Ideally, it would be from a shop where the artisan (cuemaker) is still making the cues himself, likely with yearly production around 100 or less.

Hopefully, my preferences for simplistic designs will allow me to get in on the bottom of some of the best cuemarkers in the world. Budget is whatever it needs to be, but not any more than it needs to be :-). Perhaps not at the level of SW, ginacues, black, zsamboti, but I'd hope for FUNCTION as good as these.

I do have the bluebook (2nd ed). I've also investigated some local shops. Finally, I've spent countless hours reading archives in the forums, which is just expanding my search space drastically.

Ideally, this cue would appreciate and would be from an up-and-coming star; however, I'm not buying this to put on the wall or collect.

Who would you recommend and why?

Thanks, Mark

sneakypapi
05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
One very important thing you forgot to mention...Price

mdavis
05-08-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully, my preferences for simplistic designs will allow me to get in on the bottom of some of the best cuemarkers in the world. Budget is whatever it needs to be, but not any more than it needs to be :-). Perhaps not at the level of SW, ginacues, black, zsamboti, but I'd hope for FUNCTION as good as these.
<hr /></blockquote>

$500 would be nice, $1000 wouldn't be unreasonable, more if absolutely necessary. I hate to set arbitrary values for this though. I'd like to find a stick that hits as well as anything out there and I would feel silly paying more than I should for that. How much do I have to spend to get that, given that I'm only interested in a level-1 level of stick, with no points or inlays? ...And how long is the waitlist? ;-)

-Mark

sneakypapi
05-08-2005, 09:11 PM
My opinion is this, the best thing to do is test hit a few cues if you can. That can be harder than it seems, but I would recommend going to a billiards show where there are many cue makers with hopefully a test cue to try out. Many cuemakers have somewhat of a standard configuration ie. taper style, joint, butt construction and the list goes on. They can customize the stick to the players preference, that is where the word custom comes into play. People are always asking this question ranging from the lowest to the highest price points. I feel that there are many decent and great cues out there and it all comes down to the individual and how he likes the feel of a particular cue. The simple fact the cue is only going to get you so far, the rest is going to be up to you and your skill set. I own a few cues and I found that I will adjust to any of them as I play, so I take the cue factor out and rely on my ability.

mdavis
05-08-2005, 11:21 PM
What shows do you recommend?

I still think that, given my area, I'm not going to be able to actually try enough of the cues to get enough coverage on what is out there.

I've spent some time trying the cues for sale from some shops in my area. One problem I have with trying the cues is how flawed the process seems. There are so many variables. I know I liked one cue's smaller wrap diameter, another's tip, another's taper (longer), another's hit, but who knows which variables, another's weight, etc. I can imagine going through a process where just one variable changes, but it's not practical. None of the stores in my area have a collection of 20-50 cues with just one change per cue. That would be nice :-)

I really look forward to your opinions.

Thanks, -Mark

Rackin_Zack
05-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Sounds like you're describing a Zylr. He doesn't make pointed cues and his standard joint is buckhorn. He offeres leather for 150 extra and starts at $1050 I believe. I think I heard that his list is 3 or so years at this point.

Bassmaster
05-09-2005, 12:22 AM
Sounds like you need a base model Paul Mottey or James White cue

GeraldG
05-09-2005, 04:12 AM
Chris Hightower.

Hightower Cues (http://www.hightowercues.com/index.php?page=home)

Rod
05-09-2005, 07:17 AM
You need to know what your looking for. For instance, a certain size shaft and taper, write that down. What tip do you like? Remember that can always be changed. What size handle do you like? All cues have specs in inches and to thousands of an inch.

You can do some measuring yourself. Do the homework then any competent cue maker can make one to your specs. If you know what you like, it seems to me the difficult decision is who will make your cue. BTW the cue maker will help you in this process, get it from the horses mouth.

Rod

ceebee
05-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Hello there M Davis, please send me your email address, via PM, &amp; I will send you some pictures of some cues like you are looking for, made by Auerbach Custom Cues.

Auerbach Cues ( www.auerbachcustomcues.com (http://www.auerbachcustomcues.com) ) are warranted against any material or workmanship defects for as long as you own the cue.

JohnnyP
05-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Check out my special order Viking. It's 62" (31+31), curly maple, 12.5 mm pro taper, 19.3 oz after removing 1 oz bolt. Joint with inside/outside threads. Waited about six weeks, $530 through Triangle Billards.
JohnnyP's Viking (http://www.jandssafeguard.com/John'sCues/Viking)

Fred Agnir
05-09-2005, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mdavis:</font><hr>

1. Will hit as good as any cue on the planet (SW, gina, etc)

6. Stainless, Ivory, or composite joint preferred over wood/wood.

<hr /></blockquote>Because of these two statements, you are in a tough world of hurt. What do you mean by "composite joint" vs. "wood/wood"?
If you allow wood/wood joints (which so many cuemakers use, like SouthWest), then you are open to a lot of cuemakers and really are only limited to distance and cost.

Where are you located?

Fred

mdavis
05-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Fred-

I've found, so far, that the sticks with wood/wood hit too soft for me, but who knows, it could have been one of the other 100 variables...:-)

Thanks, Mark

mdavis
05-09-2005, 02:09 PM
Interesting advice...

How does a Mottey and White hit?

I'll admit, the Mottey is on my list...I'll post my "lists" shortly...

Thanks, Mark

mdavis
05-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks...

Yes, Zylr is on the list. The style is definitely there. How does it hit? How it is constructed? Given the popularity, I suspect it's quite good...Or, is it popular due as a collectors cue? Seems that the cues you have on order are also on some of my lists, how would you describe the differences??

mdavis
05-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Why hightower?

Do you think it hits and is made as well as a Scruggs? Zylr? Bender? Gilbert? Black Boar? TAD? etc...

Thanks, Mark

Rackin_Zack
05-09-2005, 07:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mdavis:</font><hr> Thanks...

Yes, Zylr is on the list. The style is definitely there. How does it hit? How it is constructed? Given the popularity, I suspect it's quite good...Or, is it popular due as a collectors cue? Seems that the cues you have on order are also on some of my lists, how would you describe the differences?? <hr /></blockquote>

Seeing as how Kerry only makes "plain janes" I don't think that the collectability factor is what is driving his current success. That being said, I think that his cues will remain sought after and thus will have some "collectable" value.

As far as the cues I have on order, I currently have a ebony and burl Skip Weston that is the best playing cue I've played with to date. A close second was the Gilbert that I sold a while back. I've not yet hit with either an ER or a Fanelli, but I hear they both hit very well and that ERs cues are some of the stiffest hitting cues out there. I will give detailed review as well as comparisson and pictures once I get the cues in as it's probably my favorite subject. Hope this was of at least some help.

Zack

Jay
05-14-2005, 08:10 AM
You basically described my custom Pete Ohman cue. Its a plain jane cocobolo cue. Highly figured cocobolo forearm and buttsleeve with ivory ring work. I even use a matching Omen break/jump cue with bem forearm and cocobolo buttsleeve. Ive always favored players cues because I dont like to be caught up in design. Something simple yet effective.

Drop1
05-14-2005, 07:41 PM
The best pen won't make a writer...dig? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif