PDA

View Full Version : Who's who of cuemakers?

mdavis
05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm trying to select a custom cue.
In doing so, I've discovered that there are a tremendous number of quality cuemakers. In my own mind, I've started to categorize them,

1. Best Players Cues
2. Best Collectors Cues
3. Longest waitlists (which you would think would correlate to #2)
4. Insiders cues
5. Best of the best, price no object
6. Best production cue
7. Best break cues

I'm looking for a cuemakers which may have the hit and construction as good as anyone. I'm personally looking for a players cue, not a collectors cue, but if there is a good players/collectors cue, that could be cool too.

Since I'm still learning, I'd hate to publish my foolish lists...But I'll do it anyway :-)

best Players cues
-----------------

best of the best hitting cues:
Southwest <--
ZYLR <--
Scruggs <--
Bender <--
Hagan Cue
Tad, before 1993

really good:
Layani
Omega/DPK
black boar
gilbert

good:
capone
jensen - mike johnson
raven
lucasi

hot cuemakers (probably correlates with waitlists??)
----------------------------------------------------
? - 2005
? - 2004
bluegrass - richard harris 2003
searing - 2002
? - 2001
lambros - 2000

best production:
pechauer
schon

insider cues -- those cues which are seeked out by the most sophisticated collectors, players
-----------
kersenbrock

best of the best / best collectors cues
---------------------------------------
kersenbrock (insider)
southwest
bill schick
joe gold
ernie gutierrez
danny tibbits
mottey
tascarella
ginacues
cognoscenti
tad
szamboti
joel hercek
josswest
black boar
balabushka - old
thomas wayne
Bill Stroud
D. Searing
richard black
mike bender

really good wood/wood cues:
---------------------------
schulers
lambros

longest waits
-------------
Hercek
mottey
southwest
bluegrass
Josswest
Shick

break cues:
-----------
sledgehammer
fury

Cues that are probably worth looking into (which may not have a category above yet):

Scruggs
Schulers
Shurtz
Bender
Thomas Wayne
Gilbert
Weston
Black Boar
Mike Webbs
TAD
capone
Omen
Layani
Dzuricky
DPK
Hagan
Zylr
Jensen
Dzuricky
dpk
old joss
pechauer
omen
gilbert 417-743-2759 (mostly breaks)
Bob Dzuricky
black boar
coker
whisler
skip weston
mark bear
shurtzcue.com
jacoby
nova
judd
mike webbs
terbrock
bloodworth
jerry olivier
schuler
scruggs
huebler
cocaby
Efren Reyes

What are your lists???

Thanks, Mark

Cueless Joey
05-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Good luck in sorting them out.
I would chime in but you have information overload already.

Popcorn
05-09-2005, 03:53 PM
A cue is not the purchase of a life time and I don't have that much in the way of preferences other them my personal dimensions. If the cue doesn't make noises and overall has a look of quality I'm happy with it, with the knowledge once I own it my search for the next magic cue will begin. I must have owned a few hundred cues over the years both new and used. Some were exceptional others just another cue and many I was not happy with and did not miss when I sold them. That is not to say the cues I didn't like weren't the perfect cue for the next owner. In your other post you have such a range dimensions that you don't seem yet to know what you like in a cue. You can't even begin to order a cue if you don't know what you play with. As for your list, any name on that list will build you a cue that will be acceptable, but that does not guarantee you will like it, no matter who makes it or what you spend.

tateuts
05-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Now you need a short list, a budget, to list out your personal preferences, and to make some phone calls.

Just remember, it is your cue. It doesn't matter what the other players think. You are not buying a badge or a game.

Chris

mdavis
05-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Agreed, I realize it's just a pool stick.

But, I also think it would be productive to try to trim this list a bit. I can only try the cues in my market, which is perhaps 5-6 of the ones I listed.

Perhaps the list in inaccurate. Wrong, etc. what is your list?

Perhaps another way to look at it.

First, you create short lists for the categories above.
Then, one could list the attributes of each cuemaker, ie.

If you like wood/wood joints, a long pro taper, and lots of artisan inlays, you would like <>.

If you like no points, no inlays, very high quality wood, the feel of a SW, etc, go with <>.

If you like low-deflection shafts, go with a 314 or a Z.

Etc...

My problems:

1. I can't try them all
2. I don't even know which attributes define each of the custom cuemakers...

-Mark

Popcorn
05-09-2005, 06:41 PM
If you could try them all it would not make any difference. When you got your new cue it will in it's own way be unique. I have always been happier with used cues. I try it out and if I like it, it is just a matter of a meeting point on the price. If you find a cue you really like, "I mean really like" don't let the money stand in the way as long as it is within reason. Cues hold their value by the way. If you decide you don't want it anymore and sell it, you may make a little money, lose a little money, but you will have had the use of the cue for very little cost actually. Try to say that for most anything else you own. A $200 pair of shoes won't bring $20. at a yard sale and a $50.00 shirt will be worth a buck.

woody_968
05-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Here is my list.

Bob Griffin.

For me, its the only name I need to know /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Cueless Joey
05-09-2005, 09:38 PM
I apprenticed thru one of your first 6 makers.
He doesn't need any more orders or phone calls.
Everytime he delivers a cue, the phone keeps ringing.
One of the makers on the list was kidnapped by the UFO and now cannot be found. His cues are nuts as well. I cannot get a hold of him since the aliens took him and his wife. I'm copying his shaft taper.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I'm going to venture to say, you will own a few cues before you settle on one. I hope it'll be fun for you.

Fred Agnir
05-10-2005, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mdavis:</font><hr> I'm trying to select a custom cue. <hr /></blockquote>
Where are you located?

opossum
05-10-2005, 11:54 AM
I would recomend you buy a used cue that you can hit with to get an idea of what feels good to you then once you know you can go custom.

mdavis
05-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the help guys...I may just get a Pechauer or a Schon for the time being, and put my name on some waitlists...

-Mark

1Time
05-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Some can and would appreciate a better cue while others cannot or will not. Minimizing the importance of a better cue as a few here have done indicates the later. For many such as the common Joe pool player on a bar table, any standard cue in good repair will suffice.

However, to suggest better players cannot benefit from a better cue is absurd. It's like saying a marksman would do no better whether shooting with a cheap 38 special or a specialized target rifle with a scope.

To sharpen the point, while I play better with a better cue, I still can easily beat the average Joe on a 7' table with any house cue. And, with a little effort I can do so with the butt end of the cue. However, to compete with a better player on a 9' table, a better cue makes all the difference.

1Time
05-11-2005, 01:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mdavis:</font><hr> Thanks for the help guys...I may just get a Pechauer or a Schon for the time being, and put my name on some waitlists...

-Mark
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm sure these 2 brands make fine cues and you most likely will enjoy either. However, I also recommend hitting as many different cues as you can before ordering your custom cue. This will allow you to get a feel for what differences in a cue you prefer and help you get the most out of your custom cue.

mdavis
05-11-2005, 01:10 AM
I've owned and used the same cue since about 1981. It's a 2-piece dufferin SP with a 11.5mm shaft, highly tapered, 18oz. I don't like the taper, the weight, or the shaft size. ;-) And it was a gift. Actually, I haven't played much in the last 7-8 years.

I'm certainly not a pro, but could probably benefit from a new cue.

-Mark

1Time
05-11-2005, 01:21 AM
Then, I suggest you would benefit even more than most by taking my advise as previously posted, whether you go with a custom cue or not.

Rich R.
05-11-2005, 02:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mdavis:</font><hr> Thanks for the help guys...I may just get a Pechauer or a Schon for the time being, and put my name on some waitlists... <hr /></blockquote>
Both of these companies make fine cues. My wife has a Pechauer and it hits as well as cues costing a lot more.
Another good thing about Peachauer is that the company helps sponsor several of the regional tours. It is nice doing business with a compay that gives a little back. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After buying one of these, you can try others, over time, and decide which custom cue maker you like the best. Then order the cue of your dreams. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bustah360
05-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Would anyone know if the pin used makes a huge difference in feel? I hear that the radial, or big brass pin give more feeling of wood when you hit with it due to the brass.

daviddjmp
05-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Southwest uses a brass pin I believe, Capone uses steel (or titanium), Richard Chudy uses G-10 Glass epoxy like Cognoscenti. Brass is definitely in the minority. One cue maker in CA uses a Bronze pin. I am not sure if the pin has as much effect on the hit as the type of joint. The Capone is flat-faced wood, as is the Chudy. Schon, for example has a piloted steel joint. It's how the whole cue feels when it is assembled and you hit balls with it. It is what you feel most comfortable with-

Nightstalker
05-12-2005, 07:46 AM
You have Bob Dzuricky on the lower part of the list twice. The first instance you list the Dzuricky and the second you list Bob Dzuricky. He happens to be the cuemaker that I am employing to make my custom at this moment. I should have the finished product sometime this August.

jerrodbottini
05-27-2005, 10:48 AM
In this poster you talk about cognoscenti cues. I live in Carson City Nv, You may have heard of him his name is Bobby Hunter Joey Gold (who make cognoscenti cues ) Is the one who tought him how to make cues you should take him into consideration for A future cue to buy... He has A web site www.huntercues.com (http://www.huntercues.com)
Jerrod