PDA

View Full Version : I'll throw match for £50k

PQQLK9
05-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Is this a credible Newspaper?

By GARY O’SHEA

SNOOKER bad boy Quinten Hann has been caught by The Sun agreeing to throw matches for money.

Aussie Hann, 27, secretly sealed a £50,000 “deal” to deliberately lose at the China Open so an illegal betting group could cash in.

HANN vowed to resume his snooker career yesterday after he was cleared of groping and beating up two women he met at a nightclub.

The cue ace was said to have lunged at the pair — an 18-year-old dancer and a singer aged 32 — “like a wild animal” and attacked them after they spurned his sexual advances.

But Hann insisted he was only trying to retrieve stolen keys.

Jurors at Isleworth Crown Court found him not guilty of sexual assault, ABH and common assault at his London flat.

Hann hugged pals in the public gallery as he left court.

He said in a statement: “The accusers’ lack of credibility has clearly been exposed.

“I now wish to have the opportunity to return to my life as a professional snooker player.”

Three years ago, Hann was acquitted of raping a student at London’s Savoy Hotel.

Jurors were told she had willingly frolicked with the star.

Hann has said groupies often pursue him, claiming one stripped naked on a snooker table pleading for sex.

He has also boasted of having sex with a blonde aboard a Jumbo jet.
web page (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005211629,00.html)

SpiderMan
05-10-2005, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Hann has said groupies often pursue him, claiming one stripped naked on a snooker table pleading for sex.
<hr /></blockquote>

Wow, that European snooker really does have higher payoffs than 9-ball! Can't imagine that happening to Buddy Hall (or me).

SpiderMan

Teadaemon
05-26-2006, 05:19 AM
I'd hesitate before describing the Sun as a credible newspaper, but in this case, at least according to the WPBSA, they've got it right. Basically they set him up by using a 'journalist' posing as a representative of some gamblers and offering £50,000 for Hann to lose a match (n.b. £50,000 was more than the winner's cheque for that particular tournament).

Unfortunately for Hann, merely agreeing to throw his match breaches the WPBSA code of conduct, and a little while ago they gave him an eight year ban from professional Snooker and IIRC a £10,000 fine, plus costs.

Evidently this hasn't put off Kevin Trudeau, as I checked a few days ago and Hann appears on the IPT website as having a tour card for 2006.

Of course, if he treats the game of Pool like he treated the game of Snooker he's unlikely to accomplish much - he may have a great natural talent for hitting balls around a table, but not enough to win tournaments without practicing or go out drinking the night before big matches.