PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Custom Cues

bustah360
05-10-2005, 12:53 PM
I know its wrong to say due to the making of a cue can easily considered artistic and therefore might offend some cuemakers. But I just gotta know what some customs hit like, and I can't try them all.

The problem is researching on ordering a custom for myself, and I just don't want to invest a good chunk of change in something if I don't know what it hits like.

One of the best hitting cues I've ever played with was a Mike Capone. I had won this cue @corner billiards from the 8ball league. Now some rat bastard broke into the car and stole it with my brand new 2X4 Bentley case along with my Falcon break cue, but I'm over it.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows why the Capone cue felt the way it did? Was it the big brass pin he likes to use, or the way the joint was also pivoted, or something else? I'd really want a cue that feels that same way but I'm afraid buying one of his cues is really outta my price range. I'm just a 9-5 guy.

Does anyone know of any cues that feels pretty much that way? I'm looking for a cue with great balance also, the kind that you really can't tell where it weighs. I've found that the predator break cues have that same type of balance.

XRIFT
05-10-2005, 01:39 PM
I don't have much experience with custom cues... but I have owned and played with a few that after shooting with others I have a few favorites that I might suggest that you try to find someone that owns one a try 'em out...

Tim Scruggs makes an awesomely solid cue...The hit is hard and solid and the feel of the transfer is pretty nice...

Rick Howard, Mace cues, another great cuemaker and a little more affordable, His Jump/Break is as sweet to shoot with as anything else. I shoot with one now...

and other hand crafted cues maybe not custom but limited and affordable is Pechuaer. I own one of his as well...

If you want more detail about one let me know but these are my suggestions to try...

1Time
05-11-2005, 02:13 AM
I suggest hitting as many different production cues as you can. You may find one that has a similar feel. If so, buy it and call it a done deal. I don't believe there is a practical way to order a different custom cue that you have not shot with that will hit like your previous cue.

If you must have a custom cue, I highly recommend trying out a few that are already made (used if necessary), especially if you want one that has a similar feel to your previous cue.

bustah360
05-11-2005, 12:57 PM
sorry, but I haven't shot with any production cue that feels as good as a custom. I play with predator right now and honestly believe they're one of the best production cues to have, but there's no comparison.

bustah360
05-11-2005, 12:59 PM
I've been dying to try out a Tim Scruggs but its very hard to find someone who has one, let alone let someone else's paws touch it. The price range on one is unreal though. Need to get a part-timer for that one, LOL!

ceebee
05-11-2005, 01:40 PM
The feel of a Pool Cue is a personal thing. It's just like the feelings between men & women... some trip your trigger & some don't.

No Custom Cue Maker has ever made all of his/her cues hit the same. Same goes for production cues... Schon became a big company because their cues were great, Pechauer is great too, Richard Black & Joss West are very good.

None of them will make you a good pool player.

1Time
05-11-2005, 05:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bustah360:</font><hr> sorry, but I haven't shot with any production cue that feels as good as a custom. I play with predator right now and honestly believe they're one of the best production cues to have, but there's no comparison. <hr /></blockquote>

I appreciate your comparison between production cues and custom cues. I've never really considered custom cues before since I'm a firm believer in trying out a cue before buying it. Now I'm kind of thinking I might be missing out. Hope you get a good one.

bustah360
05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Yea I'm thinking about getting a eurowest cue, I'm waiting on a price quote from them now. Hopefully it won't break the bank, know what I mean...

1Time
05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Getting emotionally committed to the purchase of any product before knowing the price is not the best way to maintian a bank account. It's a pretty common sales tactic to suck customer's into wanting the product without first disclosing the price. Just watch any car sales commercial for a prime example.

It's got to be tough buying a custom cue and not really knowing what you're going to get. I know if I really considered getting one I easily could get all jacked up about it and just about ready to pay any price.

That said, I'm sticking to my "try it before I buy it" motto. That way I will save some bank and be sure to get what I want. A custom cue may be better, but for the sake of my bank account and my pickiness when it comes to cues, I may never know.