PDA

View Full Version : Statewide smoking ban signed

PQQLK9
05-11-2005, 03:34 AM
Video (http://javascript:playVideo('417831', 'Businesses%20%20concerned%20about%20smoke%20law', 'v', 'News', '131933', 'News', '', '');)

web page (http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=3320676&nav=5kZQZglK)

Statewide smoking ban signed
May 9, 2005, 6:37 PM

Thomasville- Georgia now has a statewide smoking ban. The governor signed the bill Monday afternoon. It greatly restricts the types of places smokers can light up.

Now in the Peach State, people can only smoke in a handful of places, including their homes, retail tobacco stores, and long-term care facilities. People can also smoke in bars and restaurants so long as those establishments don't allow people under 18 inside. And that's what concerns some business owners who have a variety of customers.

The Billiard Academy in downtown Thomasville is known for its chili dogs. But owner Joe Kirkland says it's also known as an "everyone invited" hang out where people could once smoke openly. Until today's new smoking ban, that is. "Our beer drinkers, pool players, 90 percent of them are smokers. So it would hurt us, in a way, on beer drinking and pool playing," says Kirkland.

Kirkland says the new ban wouldn't affect his hot dog sales though. But that's because non-smokers have the option of never having to go inside. "About 60 percent of our business is walk up window business," says Kirkland.

Some non-smokers say the ban protects their health, keeping them clear of second-hand samples. "Whether you're in this section or that section, the smoke's going to drift around," says non-smoker Pat Christopher. But the same non-smokers also say they can respect people's former right to puff where they want to, just like they have the right to go elsewhere. "If you don't want to smoke, then choose your places where you go where they don't allow smoking," adds Christopher.

That's a choice this new smoking ban helped make for many people, including most of Kirkland's customers. "The majority would probably still come in, because they can walk out back and smoke, then come back in," says Kirkland. That's a compliance with the law Kirkland calls "going with the flow" of changing times.

This new smoking ban is actually fairly broad compared to many other states. A survey conducted by state legislators shows that only Florida has as broad a ban as Georgia.

The smokers are not being as outspoken as you might think. None of the five smokers at the Billiard Academy wanted to go on camera. All but two likened the ban to the seizure of their personal rights.

The law will take effect July first.

Big_Jon
05-11-2005, 11:38 AM
This is just an innocent, simple question.

Now that all these places, all over the country, have everybody that is out and about, smoking on the street, how long will it be until people complain about not being able to walk down the street without having to breath other peoples smoke?

Where will it all end??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cueless Joey
05-11-2005, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> This is just an innocent, simple question.

Now that all these places, all over the country, have everybody that is out and about, smoking on the street, how long will it be until people complain about not being able to walk down the street without having to breath other peoples smoke?

Where will it all end??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
For now, it ends indoors.
Some apartments in LA are already offering smoke-free apartment buildings. Smokers cannot rent rooms there.
Some government buildings are also banning smoking period.
Time to quit bud. It will be hard but in the end, you will be glad you did. I do not know of one person who regretted quitting smoking.
I work with a lady who smoked 35 years. She's on her 29th day of being smoke-free.
Efren Reyes smoked for decades until his doctor told him he HAD to quit. Efren has not smoked since 1997.

Big_Jon
05-11-2005, 12:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> For now, it ends indoors.
Some apartments in LA are already offering smoke-free apartment buildings. Smokers cannot rent rooms there.
Some government buildings are also banning smoking period.
Time to quit bud. It will be hard but in the end, you will be glad you did. I do not know of one person who regretted quitting smoking.
I work with a lady who smoked 35 years. She's on her 29th day of being smoke-free.
Efren Reyes smoked for decades until his doctor told him he HAD to quit. Efren has not smoked since 1997. <hr /></blockquote>
I've regretted quitting, 6 times /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I'll give it another try here soon.
An old player here smoked for around 40 years and just up and quit one day because his pack was empty and he didn't feel like going to the store at that particular moment /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
He never smoked another.
I just can't do that.
I get ill if i try to quit.
You don't want to be around /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
I guess i'm just weak /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I've been beaten by a 3" stick...

ted harris
05-11-2005, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Video (http://javascript:playVideo('417831', 'Businesses%20%20concerned%20about%20smoke%20law', 'v', 'News', '131933', 'News', '', '');)

web page (http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=3320676&amp;nav=5kZQZglK)

Statewide smoking ban signed
May 9, 2005, 6:37 PM

Thomasville- Georgia now has a statewide smoking ban. The governor signed the bill Monday afternoon. It greatly restricts the types of places smokers can light up.

The law will take effect July first.<hr /></blockquote>
Sweeeeeeeeeeet! I just moved to Georgia 2 months ago...

ted harris
05-11-2005, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr>Where will it all end??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif<hr /></blockquote> When tobacco products are no more...

ted harris
05-11-2005, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr>I've regretted quitting, 6 times /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I get ill if i try to quit.<hr /></blockquote>
Good luck when you do...relaize that you will only be sick for a month or so...then you will get better every day. If you ever want to talk about quitting or need support, call me @ (706)778-9611.

Big_Jon
05-11-2005, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ted harris:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr>I've regretted quitting, 6 times /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I get ill if i try to quit.<hr /></blockquote>
Good luck when you do...relaize that you will only be sick for a month or so...then you will get better every day. If you ever want to talk about quitting or need support, call me @ (706)778-9611. <hr /></blockquote>
I'll give it a try...
BUT, i might have to fax you a form to sign, that states that i'm not responsible for anything that i do, that it would be all your fault /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.
If there was such a thing as Smokers Anon, would you be my "sponsor"??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S.
I'll try and start now.
If i can make it through the rest of the day (i have a double shift or sorts coming up in about a couple of hours or so) i'll see how long it lasts.

tateuts
05-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Jon,

I am saying this in the hope of helping you out. I was a heavy smoker for many years since I was 14. I would wake up a 2 am and 5 am habitually every night to smoke. I had a daughter 10 years ago and decided to quit. By then I was a two pack a day habit.

It took me several years and many attempts to quit. I finally saw a psychologist because I could stop smoking but I could not do it without falling into a depression. I told him what was going on and he said "my god, I quit smoking too and it was a nightmare. I know exactly what you're going through." That made me feel better! The shrink says it drove him nuts too.

Quitting smoking was unimaginably difficult. Now I feel every minute of every day the same as I used to feel right after having a cigarette - lets just call it normal.

What makes quitting difficult is "cheating". Having a smoke here or there. Just shoot me, it's easier. The longer they are behind you, the better you will feel. The drug has very subtle effects on you. Like, for example, when you quit you may start coughing. That's because nicotine is a local anesthetic. Without it you can feel the discomfort it caused. You will probably get depressed. This is temporary.

The only thing that will make you feel better is ...
not having a cigarette. Do the best thing you can for yourself - you're a young guy and a very nice one - please do something for you and your family . Please stop before the damage is irreversible.

Chris

Big_Jon
05-11-2005, 02:49 PM
The hardest part (for me) has always been, to stop doing something that you enjoy.
I'll need to find something else to do.
Besides anything that would involve gaining weight.
That would not be good /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
Sugar free gum?

Keith Talent
05-11-2005, 03:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> People can also smoke in bars and restaurants so long as those establishments don't allow people under 18 inside.
<hr /></blockquote>

Sounded pretty good till I read this.

Rod
05-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I never thought i'd reply to one of these posts, Nick you instigator! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

However it sounds like a senseable approach, well that is from a business owners view.

Rod

eg8r
05-12-2005, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kirkland says the new ban wouldn't affect his hot dog sales though. But that's because non-smokers have the option of never having to go inside. "About 60 percent of our business is walk up window business," says Kirkland. <hr /></blockquote> This is a little funny if you think about it...The people of Georgia wanted the smoking ban (I agree that smoking is gross), and much of this is in the mighty word of Health. However, this article is pretty funny. All of these people who are so worried about their health are out buying hot dogs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am no smoker and I can see how smokers see the hypocrisy with non-smokers, but I understand people would rather kill themselves with heart disease and diabetes than go down with lung cancer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just wish all the non-smokers (me included) would quit the lying and whining about the health issues. Most Americans are overweight (myself included however I have lost 15 pounds on my way to losing 60 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) and they continue in the same fashion, but God forbid they breathe in some smoke in a pool hall while eating a chili dog. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
05-12-2005, 04:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is just an innocent, simple question. <hr /></blockquote> There is a simple answer, the pro-ban people are not interested in their ability to make a cognitive decision. They are more interested in having the government hold their hand and make their decisions for them. However as this thread shows, all those "health" nuts will still be eating those chili dogs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
05-12-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Good luck when you do...relaize that you will only be sick for a month or so...then you will get better every day. <hr /></blockquote> Great advice.

eg8r

catscradle
05-12-2005, 05:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Big_Jon:</font><hr> The hardest part (for me) has always been, to stop doing something that you enjoy.
I'll need to find something else to do.
Besides anything that would involve gaining weight.
That would not be good /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.
Sugar free gum? <hr /></blockquote>

I think you hit on the key "find something else to do". I quit 33 years ago when I was getting out of the service because of the cost outside (this was before all the current health concerns). I got a little booklet at the PX that helped a lot.
1. Make a list of all the reasons you want to quit and an honest list of all the reasons you want to smoke. I think you'll find the reasons to quit list longer, carry them with you at all times and refer to them often to remind yourself.
2. As silly as it sounds, get a small wallet calender, x off the days you didn't smoke, and carry it with you at all times as reference. As the length of those x's grow, it will provide you with a surprising amount of incentive to continue to grow it.
3. Avoid circumstances you're most likely to smoke. Go for a walk as soon as your through eating rather than light up, avoid bars where you tend to drink and smoke together, and, sad as it may, be avoid pool room if you have to for a while.
4. Engage in a physical activity that is incompatible with smoking. I started running (and still run) and going over the base gym for basketball everyday.
5. Broadcast to as many people as you can that you're quitting, create an environment where it will be embarrassing for you to start again.

Remember you can only quit if YOU want to, create circumstance to maximize your desire to quit and minimize the effort it takes. It isn't about willpower, willpower doesn't exist, it is about the environment you create for yourself.
Go into this prepared, not haphazardly.
Good luck, I'm positive you'll succeed if you want to.