PDA

View Full Version : Possible Scam?

Barbara
05-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Hey All, I have a Q...

My husband is selling his old truck because he has a nice new shiny one in the driveway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

We have a buyer. He's a "road warrior" in the fact that he works for the EPA and travels a lot and is in this area doing a cleanup in Camden, NJ. Geez, what part of Camden wouldn't need a cleanup?

Anyway, I told the hubby to either get cash and take it with the buyer to a store and verify each bill or get a cashier's check and immediately call the bank to verify that the friggin bank existed and the check was for real.

I'm only nagging him (and I really don't nag) because of all the scams that I see happening on eBay. We're delivering the title to this guy on Friday at noon.

So can anyone out there enlighten me as to any cashier's check scams they've heard of lately?

TIA,

Barbara

highsea
05-11-2005, 06:16 PM
There are lots of counterfeit cashier checks and money orders out there. They look good, but after about ten days the bank bounces them and takes the money back out of your account.

You can go with the buyer to the bank, and he can get a cashier check with a funds transfer, ATM card, etc- that would be safe, because the check would be issued by your local bank.

New bills are hard to counterfeit- if they have the strip inside and the watermark, you are safe.

Barbara
05-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Highsea,

Apparently this buyer is drawing the cashier's check on the same bank we do our biz with. My concern is about this check being a counterfeit. I'll look up the branches in the area we're conducting the biz in and leave mu hubby with the guy while I'll check out the check.

BTW, we stepped the mast today. Spincter factor of only 5.5. It's definitely easier putting it up than down. We're cool for a drop tomorrow and our first sail of the season maybe this weekend if the weather holds okay.

Happy Summer and Good Sailing!!

Barbara

highsea
05-11-2005, 07:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Happy Summer and Good Sailing!!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>Right back at ya'! I plan to catch lots of fish. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

catscradle
05-12-2005, 03:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Highsea,

...BTW, we stepped the mast today...

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Have you consider the possible consequences of this for your pool game?

Barbara
05-12-2005, 05:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>
Have you consider the possible consequences of this for your pool game? <hr /></blockquote>

Actually cat, I got sucked into playing a summer session for my APA team... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara

Harold Acosta
05-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Nowadays, even Cash could be a problem. You would really have to know or have seen all denominations to be certain that the money is not fake.

This is a tough call. Maybe ask him to go to the bank with you guys. (In separate cars).

Barbara
05-14-2005, 05:48 AM
Harold,

We did the deal yesterday and this guy was nothing but up and up. He had two copies of a sales agreement they both signed. It was definitely a real cashier's check with a hologram on it, and he even gave Pete a copy of his drivers license.

Since this guy lives upstate and he's using a rental car for the next week, the truck will be stored in a parking lot until he can get someone to drive him down here.

Not a problem!

Barbara