PDA

View Full Version : Plastic vs. steel joint ... your preference ?

Snyder1
05-11-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm surprised how many higher end cues have plastic joints. Which do you prefer ?
JS

Leviathan
05-11-2005, 08:31 PM
I generally prefer plastic joints for two reasons. First, I think that a polished steel joint very often looks out of place between a fine wooden forearm and a fine wooden shaft. However, some steel-jointed cues look great and many plastic-jointed cues look lousy! Most cues would look much better if their joints were shorter, IMO--but of course this stuff is a matter of personal visual taste. Second, many metal joints are very heavy and a heavy joint is inconsistent with the balance and total weight I like in my own cues.

Do you prefer metal joints?

AS

cubswin
05-11-2005, 08:55 PM
plastic or phenolic? Phenolic is pressed material ranging from glass to linen. Linen is used most often in cues from what I can tell. Its not what I would call a plastic, maybe it is by definition. Too late in the night to research more.

I like phenolic, stainless, or ivory. All depends on the cue, and the pin used.

Cueless Joey
05-11-2005, 09:39 PM
I prefer staghorn.
But, that costs more and takes more work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tateuts
05-11-2005, 10:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I prefer staghorn.
But, that costs more and takes more work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I like anything that is light that doesn't doesn't crack, rattle, dent, and generally break.

I have gotten used to the cored out ivory sleeve that Stroud uses. The glued up ivory tube is surprisingly tough.

Chris

catscradle
05-12-2005, 03:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Snyder1:</font><hr> I'm surprised how many higher end cues have plastic joints. Which do you prefer ?
JS <hr /></blockquote>

IVORY.

Billy_Bob
05-12-2005, 07:37 AM
I prefer a metal ring as it will not chip.

Nightstalker
05-12-2005, 07:55 AM
My current playing cue has a stainless joint, but to me the balance feels too far forward. My break cue has a phenolic over 3/8x10 flat-faced wood-to-wood joint and I like the balance that this cue has better than my playing cue. The DZ custom that I have Bob building right now will have a phenolic over 3/8x10 flat faced wood-to-wood joint so the cue will have a balance that I prefer.

tateuts
05-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Joey,

That picture is disgusting.

Chris

SPetty
05-12-2005, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> Joey,

That picture is disgusting.

Chris <hr /></blockquote> http://img251.echo.cx/img251/5746/89085165l8nj.gif

A fat happy dancing kid? How's that disgusting? Looks like he's gettin' jiggy with it.

Popcorn
05-12-2005, 10:29 AM
I haven't played with a steel joint cue in 30 years. The first non steel jointed cue I used was a Martin and I never went back. Even cues I had built by people like Stroud, Szamboti, Scruggs and others were all with either ivory or some other kind of material other then steel. Szamboti made me an ivory jointed cue I was surprised to see when I got it he had piloted it. I have an older Scruggs cue here now for a couple of shafts that has a micarta joint (yellow). I played with it last night for a couple of hours, (hope the owner isn't reading this), it is one of the best feeling cue I have picked up in a long time. Big Bob had one of those Scruggs cues with the micarta joint and it was his favorite cue for years.