PDA

View Full Version : Cueball Position After 9Ball Break

schnaaf
05-12-2005, 05:54 AM
Hi,

In numerous posts on this forum, books, publications, videos that discuss the 9-ball break state that the cue ball should stop center table about a foot in front of the spot. WHY? 9 out of 10 times(if the 1 doesn't go in the centerpocket) the 1 freezes up the short rail, which means that the cue ball should rather end up more down the table then center table. Or am I missing something?

tateuts
05-12-2005, 07:20 AM
If a table is breaking well, meaning balls are going in the lower corners, the odds are in your favor if you can stay somewhere around the center string and control the break speed so that the one comes up short of the short rail. Either that, or if you're breaking really hard, so the one bounces back off the short rail.

Here's the basic shot, with the cueball ending up at position "A":

WEI (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/)

START(
%Al5E5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%Pi6E6
%QX7L9%UQ2O0%Vh7F6%_i9H7%`X4[1%aO2P1
)END

In any case, it's up to you to control the speed and exact angle of the break to place the one in the right position. Practing this break will improve your break and run out percentage.

If you're getting lousy racks or the table is breaking poorly, then it's a different story. Just try to not foul on the break and be prepared for a lot of safety play.

The cueball will bounce further back if you are breaking really hard - that's just fine too.

Chris

Eric.
05-12-2005, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> If a table is breaking well, meaning balls are going in the lower corners, the odds are in your favor if you can stay somewhere around the center string and control the break speed so that the one comes up short of the short rail. Either that, or if you're breaking really hard, so the one bounces back off the short rail.

Here's the basic shot, with the cueball ending up at position "A":

WEI (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/)

START(
%Al5E5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%Pi6E6
%QX7L9%UQ2O0%Vh7F6%_i9H7%`X4[1%aO2P1
)END

In any case, it's up to you to control the speed and exact angle of the break to place the one in the right position. Practing this break will improve your break and run out percentage.

If you're getting lousy racks or the table is breaking poorly, then it's a different story. Just try to not foul on the break and be prepared for a lot of safety play.

The cueball will bounce further back if you are breaking really hard - that's just fine too.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

I agree, Chris. If the wing ball is dropping, then the break speed needs to be adjusted so the 1 ball only bounces 1 rail to here:

START(
%Aj5U8%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%Pi6E6
%QX7L9%UQ2O0%Vh7F6%_f6W4%`X4[1%aO2P1
)END

or, hit the pack harder to drive the 1 ball here:

START(
%Ai7H6%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%Pi6E6
%QX7L9%UQ2O0%Vh7F6%Wk6J5%Xq8Q6%_q6S8%`X4[1%aO2P1
)END

Eric

tateuts
05-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Eric,

How do you get the one to come back so straight? Your one ball must be traveling past the side pocket. I kind of pinch it over and it comes over to the other corner. Sometimes it goes in the side but I figure it's just a bad rack if it does.

Chris