PDA

View Full Version : cue ball weight

06-08-2002, 11:56 AM
Hey gang, been awhile since I've been here! Got a question for you physics people out there. My room recently went to Diamond bar boxes with a lighter cue ball. I am able to get UNBELIEVEABLE english/draw with this ball, but can't for the life of me figure out why a "lighter" ball would run faster and respond like this. It just doesn't make sense to me. Ok, the draw makes sense, the expanded throw and run doesn't. Any ideas?

TN Jim

Tom_In_Cincy
06-08-2002, 12:37 PM
http://dickjacobs.com/

This site has some good reading about cue ball weights and how they relate to standards and stroke.

The heavy bar box ball will not react to the standard weight object balls. The same weighted balls react more consistantly than balls with different weights.

The lighter cue balls (5.5 to 6 ounces) compared to the weighted Barbox balls, will react better, because of the mass and weight differences.

The standard weight of pocket billiard balls is approx. 5.8 ounces.

06-08-2002, 06:55 PM
Who told you that the cue-balls were lighter? If it is a Red Circle, it could be heavier than the object balls....randy

06-09-2002, 10:40 AM
The bar owner told me these particular tables take a lighter ball. They do actually feel lighter in your hand, I'm pretty sure they are.

06-09-2002, 10:48 AM
thanks for the info Tom. By the way, I'm going to be in Cincinnati the week following the 4th of July, where
s the good places to play?:

Tom_In_Cincy
06-09-2002, 12:03 PM
My Website has directions to SnookerS my regular place to play. http://www.geocities.com/cincytom314/

There is also Westminsters on Main St. Downtown Cincy
Michaels, in Fairfield, (good place for action)
Beachmont Billiards off Beachmont road. (another good place for action
Bocca Billiards in Milford good tables and good players.

Pool Hall finder has these locations listed and driving instructions.

TonyM
06-12-2002, 03:23 PM
Quite often the typical bar box cueball is weighted in order to activate the cueball selection mechanism. Other times they use a metal core and select the cueball magnetically. Since the Diamond tables uses an optical selctor, any cueball can be used.

I've seen bar boxes with a 7.5 ounce cueball (1.5 ounces heavier than the object balls!)!

Tony
-gotta have the cueball the same weight as the object ball....