PDA

View Full Version : Travel restrictions

SPetty
05-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Since I'll be travelling to Vegas next week ( /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), I thought I'd look into the list of things not allowed to be carried on. While confirming that pool cues are still on the list (but fishing poles are mysteriously absent), I came across this information from http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=177 :

If you bring a prohibited item to the checkpoint you may be criminally and/or civilly prosecuted or at the least asked to rid yourself of the item. A screener and/or Law Enforcement Officer will make this determination depending on what the item is and the circumstances. This is because bringing a prohibited item to a security checkpoint - even accidentally - is illegal.

Just thought I'd mention it, because I know some folks have said that they go ahead and try to carry on their pool cues (and several have been successful!), but I'd never heard that it's illegal to even try to do that!

Scott Lee
05-12-2005, 11:59 AM
SPetty...If people have gotten through security with their cues, they're lucky...and it seems like that will stop before too long. It is so ridiculous that we cannot carry on our pool cues, but I've been through 4 different airports in different states, in the last couple of months, and ALL of them refused to allow me to carry on my cue! At the last one, I tried to just carry on a single, unnattached shaft, and they would NOT let me go through security! I had to go back out, and check the shaft through (after locating a box to put it it, so it wouldn't get damaged through the airlines "gentle" baggage care! LOL)Geez...

Good luck in Vegas!

Scott

CarolNYC
05-13-2005, 02:19 AM
Spetty,
Also, no matches,lighters and especially ZIPPOS!
Carol~believed that started in April /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

catscradle
05-13-2005, 04:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Spetty,
Also, no matches,lighters and especially ZIPPOS!
Carol~believed that started in April /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Even though I have not smoked for 30 odd years (not counting 2nd hand), I feel zippos are an American icon and should be allowed anywhere. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Next they'll be prohibiting the American flag because it could be used to strangle someone.

PS, IMO all this security doesn't do a bit of good. If terrorists want to get a weapon on board a plane, they'll think of a way.

Vagabond
05-13-2005, 05:45 AM
Add to the list:nail clippers,orange stick for cuticle repair,Tweezers,or any pointed/ protruding object whether sharp/blunted and no jokes of GIGGING/STABBING nature.Have fun with air travel.
Vagabond

catscradle
05-13-2005, 06:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Add to the list:nail clippers,orange stick for cuticle repair,Tweezers,or any pointed/ protruding object whether sharp/blunted and no jokes of GIGGING/STABBING nature.Have fun with air travel.
Vagabond <hr /></blockquote>

How about ...
pencil
pen
tie clip
cuff links
bobby pin
keys
safety pins for baby's diaper
shoe laces for making a garotte
belt for same purpose
... you could go on forever.

9 Ball Girl
05-13-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm only taking a carryon with me when I go to Texas next month, and I thought that I would do what others have done--wrap their cues in with their clothes in the carryon. After reading this, I guess I'll be checking in my cues.

SPetty
05-13-2005, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Add to the list: nail clippers, orange stick for cuticle repair, Tweezers <hr /></blockquote>Actually, these are allowed to be carried on, as are nail files, knitting needles, corkscrews, walking canes and umbrellas!

Gayle in MD
05-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Hello kiddo,
When I flew to NY I took Fran's suggestion and used a big suitcase and packed my case with the cue in it, in the case, wrapped in a towel, packed in between my clothes. No problem!

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ceebee
05-14-2005, 07:36 AM
The only horror story I know about lost cues in airline baggage is one about Ronnie from Cue Perfect. He lost 4 or 5 $2000+ cues in one incident in New Orleans. The airline company wanted to refund a portion of his money at a per pound rate.