PDA

View Full Version : A Real Texas Bar

SPetty
05-12-2005, 02:02 PM
If someone said to you that they'd like to see "a real Texan bar like what I've seen in the movies!", what do you suppose they mean?

9 Ball Girl
05-12-2005, 02:08 PM
teehee.

SpiderMan
05-12-2005, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> If someone said to you that they'd like to see "a real Texan bar like what I've seen in the movies!", what do you suppose they mean? <hr /></blockquote>

If their impression of Texas comes from movies, they probaby expect something like Billy Bob's or Gilley's.

SpiderMan

PQQLK9
05-12-2005, 03:14 PM
http://www.rootsweb.com/~txpstcrd/humorous/CuteBar.jpg /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wolfdancer
05-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Several years ago, the last millennium actually.....my ship pulled into the port of Houston....and I headed for the nearest bar. It was small, one pool table,and the only other two customers were playing. while I was on my first drink, an argument broke out, one guy pulled out a gun, and shot the other guy point blank.......
Turned out to be only a starter's pistol however.
That's what comes to mind when I think of a Texas Bar

Stretch
05-12-2005, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> If someone said to you that they'd like to see "a real Texan bar like what I've seen in the movies!", what do you suppose they mean? <hr /></blockquote>

Well since i live up here with eskimo's /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif I know nothing of Texas. My first impressions were like in the John Wayne Movies. They don't have bars. They have Salloons with the bat wing doors and your shot slides down the bar top. Open Range land, you never went anywhere without a weapon. Then OIL! Instant "Dallas" JR Ewing. Money Power, the BEST of everything.....but i'm sure reality differs somewhat from the HollyWood Version. At least ya got something down there. What do we have up here? Moose, Mounties, and Mountains. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif St.

9 Ball Girl
05-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I thought cowboys. Lots and lots of them. And a little dance area where people can line dance--with a jukebox playing Achy Breaky Heart?

Oh man I can't wait!!!

Wendy&lt;---Marisa Tomei to Joe Pesci, "Yeah. You blend." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AmazingBrewdini
05-12-2005, 06:01 PM
I imagine a honky-tonk with lots of friendly people, 4 or more pool tables, dart boards, a few tables for groups of friends to sit and have a few beers and grub, a stage for live entertainment, a dance area, a kitchen that serves up tex-mex and burgers,and a juke box with a good mix of country, country rock, texas swing and then a little of everything else. Oh and a damned good selection of quality tequilas! Damn! I wish they had a place like that in North Jersey! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wolfdancer
05-12-2005, 06:24 PM
I think there was a place like that in the movie
"Pleasantville"

The amazing screwdini...watch as I make virgin after virgin disappear

PoolFool
05-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Speaking as a 5th generation Texan, I don't think there are any like the ones in the movies. I've been in a lot of bars all over the U. S. and the the music, beer signs (Texas has a lot of Lone Star)and the people are the only things that make a bar unique to it's local setting. Billy Bob's and Gilley's are tourist attractions. All you need at your place are a few Lone Star Beer signs and maybe a "Posted, Texas Land and Cattle Co. " sign and you would have it down.
Maybe a little more Wilie and Hays Carll on the Juke box.

PoolFool (Chili King of Texas)

Fran Crimi
05-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Definitely the bull.

You gotta have the mechanical bull.

Then us Yanks know we're in Texas.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
05-13-2005, 01:05 AM
A saloon style, with wooden swinging doors, everyone square dancing and yee-haaaaaaaaaa- ing!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DickLeonard
05-13-2005, 05:01 AM
SPetty I saw that the fatest people in the US are in Houston, is it the Chili that they get at the Texas Bars.####

Sid_Vicious
05-13-2005, 06:26 AM
Hmmmmm, Do I sense a remodel of Petty's Point? It must include my ability to ride my horse into the bar(Goldwing bike) and be able to smoke stogeys and spit tobbaky on the floor ;-) sid

9 Ball Girl
05-13-2005, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>You gotta have the mechanical bull.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>OMG yes! Spetty, take me to a mechanical bull place. I would looooove to ride one! Then I can rip my top off the way women do in the movies when they ride a mechanical bull! Yeeeeeeha baby!

Fran Crimi
05-13-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm sure the locals would love that, Wendy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But don't deprive yourself of watching those cowboys ride that bull. It's a beautiful sight to behold! Yeeee Ha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fran

SpiderMan
05-13-2005, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Several years ago, the last millennium actually.....my ship pulled into the port of Houston....and I headed for the nearest bar. It was small, one pool table,and the only other two customers were playing. while I was on my first drink, an argument broke out, one guy pulled out a gun, and shot the other guy point blank.......
Turned out to be only a starter's pistol however.
That's what comes to mind when I think of a Texas Bar <hr /></blockquote>

The day before Thanksgiving about 20 years ago, I was playing pool with a date in a bar called "Mickey Finn's" on Mockingbird Lane in Dallas (across from the old Dr Pepper bottling co.). A group of Mexicans came in and started an argument with another group already present. In the shootout, which probably lasted at least ten minutes and also spilled into the parking lot, three were killed and all were gone by the time the police arrived.

Later, I heard from our draftsman (who knew one of the families) that the argument was over the sister of one of the second group, who had been jilted by one of the first group.

SpiderMan

MosconiJr
05-13-2005, 09:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>You gotta have the mechanical bull.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>OMG yes! Spetty, take me to a mechanical bull place. I would looooove to ride one! Then I can rip my top off the way women do in the movies when they ride a mechanical bull! Yeeeeeeha baby! <hr /></blockquote>

Wendy,

We have a mechanical bull here in Chattanooga. It's at a club called "The Electric Cowboy". You're welcomed to come down and ride our bull anytime /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MosconiJr

wolfdancer
05-13-2005, 09:26 AM
that would be scary....glad that you and the lady, were not hit

Brian in VA
05-13-2005, 10:02 AM
I'll want the video!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Brian in VA - secure in the knowledge that at least one bull would die happy!

ryushen21
05-13-2005, 10:06 AM
being from here and knowing what other people expect i think there are two possible interpretations.

1. The Classic Old West Saloon - sawdust on the floor, no fancy drinks just whiskey and beer, swinging doors, hitching post for your horses, brass spitoons on the floor, a couple of card tables, a guy playing a piano with some woman in a corset top dress singing

2. The modern day movie portrayal - the "honkey tonk" of such legend as Billy Bob's. Big dance floor with people two steppin, several pool tables, a few bars throughout the place so there isn't one huge line, dartboards, and of course the mechanical bull.

at least that's what i think of.

SpiderMan
05-13-2005, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> OMG yes! Spetty, take me to a mechanical bull place. I would looooove to ride one! Then I can rip my top off the way women do in the movies when they ride a mechanical bull! Yeeeeeeha baby! <hr /></blockquote>

How 'bout if SPetty just gets a volunteer on to buck around on his hands and knees on top of her Valley table? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

9 Ball Girl
05-13-2005, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr>2. The modern day movie portrayal - the "honkey tonk" of such legend as Billy Bob's. Big dance floor with people two steppin, several pool tables, a few bars throughout the place so there isn't one huge line, dartboards, and of course the mechanical bull.<hr /></blockquote>Now that's what I'm talking about!

9 Ball Girl
05-13-2005, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>How 'bout if SPetty just gets a volunteer on to buck around on his hands and knees on top of her Valley table? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote>Well, from what I gather, I'm going to be sleeping in a room with a bunch of strange men. Teehee.

landshark77
05-13-2005, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> everyone square dancing and yee-haaaaaaaaaa- ing!

<hr /></blockquote>

Why shoot Carol..we have that here. Next time your down this way I'll swing you by my grandmothers and she can show you all of her square dancin' outfits...and the pictures to prove so wore 'em...in PUBLIC!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Stretch
05-13-2005, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I thought cowboys. Lots and lots of them. And a little dance area where people can line dance--with a jukebox playing Achy Breaky Heart?

Oh man I can't wait!!!

Wendy&lt;---Marisa Tomei to Joe Pesci, "Yeah. You blend." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If i hear Achy Breaky Heart ONE MORE TIME lol..... Ahhh but times are a changing. I think the Latest Country Hits are like "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.

Voodoo Daddy
05-13-2005, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>You gotta have the mechanical bull.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>OMG yes! Spetty, take me to a mechanical bull place. I would looooove to ride one! Then I can rip my top off the way women do in the movies when they ride a mechanical bull! Yeeeeeeha baby! <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">What day will that be? &lt;EFG&gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

9 Ball Girl
05-13-2005, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>What day will that be? &lt;EFG&gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>It would have to be Friday night, I'll be arriving at about 3ish PM on Friday. I can always settle for a nice eatery too, Texas style, whatever that may be. What's EFG?

Voodoo Daddy
05-13-2005, 01:27 PM
&lt;EFG&gt;=Evil "F"ing Grin... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Wish I could make it but I cant break the No-Texas rule just yet, maybe someone could video Wendy on the bull? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Chopstick
05-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Something else about these Texas bars is ya gotta have a drinkin' license. At least the ones around Spidey's house require one. Mine's expired. I'll have to get another one.

SPetty
05-13-2005, 02:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Something else about these Texas bars is ya gotta have a drinkin' license. At least the ones around Spidey's house require one. Mine's expired. I'll have to get another one. <hr /></blockquote>I bought a permanent lifetime hard version of that license many years ago. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Several of the boroughs, I mean suburbs, around here had an election last week and will be changing that license law! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
05-13-2005, 03:20 PM
There's one right around the corner from my house, swinging doors, entrance looks like a covered wagon. Old West pictures. Uneven wood floors. All wood inside. It's called the Swamp Circle Saloon, been there since colonial days! Even has "Rooms" upstairs, lol...pool table, darts, jukebox,.... no bull, except for the stories, lol. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif]
Took Scott there on night...he fit right in!

Gayle in Md.

SnakebyteXX
05-15-2005, 05:32 AM
Looking back on a wild ride

Twenty-five years ago, Urban Cowboy immortalized a Pasadena honky-tonk and left Houston with the image as a redneck boomtown. Fortunes were made and lost, and all that's left are cracks in the concrete prairie and fading memories

By RACHEL GRAVES
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

PASADENA - They called it the concrete prairie back when its indoor rodeo attracted urban cowboys on mechanical mounts.

Today, what was once the world's largest honky-tonk looks more like its nickname than ever. The ramshackle building that housed Gilley's, the boot scooters, the dancers and glancers all are a thing of the past.

Only the concrete floor remains, weeds and bushes pushing through the cracks.

"Seems strange with that tree growing in the middle of the dance floor," Gator Conley said recently, on his first trip back to Gilley's since a bitter feud between owners Mickey Gilley and Sherwood Cryer shut the club's doors in 1989.

"Makes me damn sad," added Conley, who once worked, played and virtually lived at the mecca of country-western bars. "This was such a big part of my life."

Twenty-five years ago, the movie Urban Cowboy immortalized Gilley's and left the world with an indelible image of Houston as a rough, redneck boomtown, flooded with farm boys looking to cash in on the oilfield jobs.

People like Bud, John Travolta's character, risked their lives scrambling up and down refinery towers during the day, then donned cowboy boots and hats to two-step, throw punches and ride the mechanical bull.

The white-skinned, blue-collared, redneck Houston of the movie seems particularly dated today, in a metropolitan area that has become a rainbow of ethnicities.

Ninety languages are spoken in area schools. The mailboxes outside the Pasadena trailer homes where the "Gilley rats" once lived now bear names such as Perez and Garcia.

Local oil work has changed from low-skill refinery jobs to supporting oil exploration around the world, and the farm boys have been replaced by engineers from South Africa and India.

The concrete prairie's days are also numbered.

The Pasadena Independent School District acquired the haggard lot when Cryer did not pay his taxes. It is planning to build a school there, on a much-changed Spencer Highway.

The drag where Bud and Sissy wrestled in mud before agreeing to marry is now a mixture of the international and the suburban.

Discotecas featuring ritmo latino share the highway with a 24 Hour Fitness gym and posh housing developments with genteel names like Cinnamon Ridge and Pecan Crossing.

At Mamacita's Restaurant and Cantina, some of the bar stools are fake saddles, and the menu offers a NASA Dinner and Space Shuttle Burrito.

Even Conley has gone mainstream. Gray-haired and better fed, he often dresses in Dockers and loafers.

For the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and other special occasions, Conley brings out his signature all-black outfit of the Gilley's days: jeans, Western shirt, cowboy boots and hat cut with a gambler-style small brim, large belt buckle with a picture of an alligator, cigarillo hanging from his mouth.

An operations manager at Fluor Daniels engineering and construction company, Conley no longer looks forward to Saturday nights at Gilley's as the highlight of his week. Now that honor goes to Wednesday dinners with his 8-year-old grandson, Sean.

Conley is married for the second time to Joy Domingue-Conley, whom he met at a pawnshop. She worked there, and he lived in a trailer out back. The two wed in 1984 and again in 1992.

They own a brick house now, but Conley said he kind of misses living in a trailer.

Conley started going to Gilley's in the 1970s because he liked the dance floor. When Cryer put in the mechanical bull, Conley learned to ride it to impress women.

By the time journalist Aaron Latham showed up to write a story about Gilley's for Esquire magazine, Conley was as much a Gilley's institution as Gilley himself.

Cryer discovered Gilley, singing at a Pasadena club where he was making so little money he could barely pay his three-member band.

"He said, 'Well, how would you like to have a club of your own?' " Gilley recalled in an interview earlier this month. "He was like a dad to me."

The two went into business together in 1971, with Cryer running the club and Gilley performing. As the honky-tonk gained popularity, Gilley's recording career took off. He had his first national hit with Room Full of Roses and toured with Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty in 1974.

At the club, Conley and many of the other Gilley rats worked for Cryer, doing a bizarre assortment of tasks that included plastering cars in the parking lot with Gilley's bumper stickers and finding padding to put around the bull.

"We used to drive around neighborhoods," Conley said. "If somebody threw out a mattress, we'd grab it, throw it in the truck and take it to Gilley's."

Just like in the movie, the bull's operators made the ride dangerous.

"Those guys were drinking and throwing people," said Jim Adkins, another former Gilley rat who now displays the original Gilley's sign and other memorabilia at his Cowboy Ranch restaurant in Pasadena. "They did that a lot for pure ass meanness."

"I tried to get 'em not to hurt anybody," Cryer said in a recent interview. He admitted the bull operators could not resist when "smart asses" rode.

And, as in the movie, there were frequent fights at the club.

The crew dressed head to toe in Gilley's merchandise, including underwear with Mickey Gilley's face on it.

"I went about five years and never bought any clothes at all," said Terry Rinehart, who ran the Gilley's road show and now owns the Daily Double close to the old club.

The Gilley rats were united by the urban cowboy code, Conley believes, which included doing right by people and wearing Western clothes.

"The idea that you worked hard in the daytime, you played hard at night," he said. "All of our childhood heroes were cowboys."

"You come to Houston, make some extra money, and then you go back home and get yourself a piece of land," Bud says in the movie, explaining the urban cowboy dream.

"Of course," he continues, "with the high cost of living and all the things I've been through lately, I haven't been able to save a dime."

Houston was hardly the Old West, despite its frontier spirit. As the rest of the nation foundered in recession, Houston's rugged industrialism seemed shiny and modern.

"The unemployed pour into town in their hopeful thousands, clutching the want ads," writer Jan Morris said in a 1981 story for Texas Monthly. "Hour by hour the freeways get fuller, the downtown towers taller, the River Oaks residents richer; the suburbs gnaw their way deeper into the countryside; and what was just a blob on the map a couple of decades ago becomes more than just a city an idea, a vision, the Future Here and Now!"

Pasadena was nicknamed "Stinkadena" for the oil refineries and paper plants that brought the area its jobs.

"That was the smell of money," Rice University sociologist Stephen Klineberg said.

Latham was fascinated by the contrast of "all those kids that thought they were cowboys" working industrial jobs. He hung around for a month, riding the bull (getting hurt every time) and searching for a love story.

"This girl came in named Betty Helmer, and she rode the bull standing up," Latham said in a recent telephone interview from his home in New York City.

Helmer was divorced from Dew Westbrook, and soon Latham had his whole cast of characters.

"Dew met Betty at Gilley's, twang-twang," he wrote in the 1978 Esquire story. "Dew fell in love with Betty at Gilley's, twang-twang. They had their wedding reception at Gilley's, twang-twang. But they quarreled over the bull at Gilley's, twang-twang. And then Dew met somebody new at Gilley's, twaaaang."

Gilley thought the article was condescending, but Cryer saw only dollar signs.

"You don't need to run that article down," Cryer told Gilley. "Somebody might make a movie out of it."

When Paramount Pictures bought the rights to the story, Cryer lobbied to have it filmed at the club.

Cryer was the only one in Pasadena that believed the movie would be made. When Cryer started advertising the filming and the upcoming chili cookoff, everyone got out their pots, brushing off the movie news.

"That was not the big deal," Adkins said. "The big deal was the chili cookoff."

Paramount called Cryer to say a "boy" was coming out to see Gilley's and asked him to pick him up at the airport. Cryer and his friend Bob Claypool, then a Houston Post music critic, took Cryer's old pickup.

All these "Hollywood folks" got off the plane, Cryer recalled in a recent interview. "Claypool said, 'Holy s---, you know who that fella is?' "

Cryer did not, but it was John Travolta, straight off his Saturday Night Fever celebrity. He had been cast as "Bud," based on the real-life Dew Westbrook.

The stars scrambled to rent a limousine and met Cryer at Gilley's, where Travolta looked around.

"Can you teach me how to dance country?" he asked.

"I don't dance with men," Cryer responded.

Cryer introduced Travolta to Conley, who showed him the moves on the dance floor and the bull.

"All that boy had to do was watch," Conley recalled. "He was a good dancer. Same thing with riding the bull."

Debra Winger was cast as "Sissy," the Betty Helmer character. When director James Bridges asked him to show Winger around, Conley found her glugging out of an upturned longneck.

"I thought, 'She fit.' "

The Gilley rats hung around, just as they always had, during the filming. Many made it on screen.

Jessie LaRive held Sissy's beer while she hit the punching bag. Steve Strange set Bud up with a threesome on his first night in Pasadena. Gilley and Johnny Lee sang. The bouncer in the movie and real life was David Ogle, whom everyone called "Killer."

And Conley, well, he was everywhere: dipping Sissy on the dance floor, riding the bull drunk, yelling at the crowd when they went into the parking lot to watch a fight, winning the dance contest.

Conley even wrote one of his own lines, Latham said, scoffing that ex-convict Wes' net shirt looked like it was made from his mama's hair net.

"I was getting paid so much money to do something I was going to do anyway," said Conley, who still receives occasional royalty checks. "If they'd said, 'Gator, come on out here and drink beer, and we're going to film you a little bit,' I'd have done it for free."

Travolta would take the locals in the cast out for lunch.

"You ride in his limo, and he'd get on that car phone. 'What's your mama's number? Let's call your mama,' " Conley said.

When the movie premiered in June 1980, high-society Houston stole the event out from under Pasadena. The invitation was from such noncowboys as socialite Lynn Wyatt, department-store magnate Robert Sakowitz, arts patron Dominique de Menil and Louise Cooley, wife of famed heart surgeon Denton Cooley.

Fashion designer Diane von Furstenberg and pop artist Andy Warhol flew into Houston for the event.

Limos swarmed to Gilley's for the party afterward, Conley said, and women in spike heels were "stumbling and bumbling" on the dance floor.

After that, Gilley's became a tourist destination. Houston socialites would call former Pasadena Mayor Johnny Isbell and ask him to arrange for a table at Gilley's for their guests from out of town.

"I guess they wanted to put on cowboy hats and boots and come to Gilley's and see how the other half lived," Isbell said recently.

A couple of the Gilley rats headed to Hollywood to try to make it as movie stars and open a Gilley's West, an idea Cryer put a stop to. They were back in Pasadena before long.

Cryer sold mechanical bulls to bars across the country, and lawsuits piled up as people broke arms and dislocated shoulders from California to Florida.

As new riches poured into Gilley's, Cryer was still unstopping the toilets with his own hands.

The hype ruined the club for the Gilley rats, who fled to another bar. They eventually lost track of Helmer, and though Westbrook still lives in Pasadena, he no longer stays in touch. (He did not return phone calls for this report.)

"When the tourists faded out, the regulars didn't come back in the same numbers," Conley said.

That started the rift between Gilley and Cryer, culminating in a lawsuit and when Gilley insisted on having his name removed from the bar the welding-shut of its doors in 1989.

"I guess I should've named it Sherwood's so he couldn't take it away from me," Cryer said. "He got the gold mine, and I got the shaft."

The building was damaged in an arson fire in 1990 and bulldozed.

The men who vacationed at Disney World together now will not speak or be in the same room. Gilley gave Adkins the club's original sign to display at his restaurant, but he regrets it because Adkins invited Cryer to the unveiling.

"If I'd known he was going to bring Sherwood over, I'd have destroyed it and never let him have it," Gilley said.

Even the Gilley rats who are still alive Claypool and "Killer" are among the many who have died are divided into two camps between loyalty to Gilley or Cryer.

Gilley has a virtual empire today that includes the Mickey Gilley Theatre in Branson, Mo., and restaurants in Branson and Pasadena. He has sold the rights to the Gilley's name to clubs in Dallas and Las Vegas.

Gilley, 69, performs a music and comedy show in Branson five nights a week, replete with Urban Cowboy references and film clips. He still lives on 20 acres in Pasadena with his wife, Vivian, and flies himself back and forth to Branson on his six-seater jet. He also performs at Indian casinos across the country.

Gilley wears a 2-inch diamond pendant with his initials as well as three ostentatious diamond rings that were gifts from Cryer.

"I feel naked if I don't have that on," Gilley said in an interview at his Pasadena restaurant, which resembles an upscale chain with its stone walls, leather booths and fake plants.

The walls are decorated with photos of Travolta and former President Bush.

A mechanical bull sits in the entryway.

"Please do not climb or sit on bull," a sign reads. "Bull is for photographs only."

Cryer, who once owned virtually every beer joint in Pasadena, lives in a trailer behind his closed-down Deer Park icehouse, G's. Reaching him by telephone means calling the pay phone at G's and hoping someone answers.

The icehouse is filled with dusty relics from Gilley's, empty beer cans and a half-dozen mechanical bulls, which Cryer still builds and sells.

At 78, Cryer walks with a cane and dresses in his signature coveralls and athletics shoes. He takes notes on everything, producing ages, addresses and maids' names when asked for a phone number.

Signs at G's advertise an Urban Cowboy reunion in July, but Cryer said he will not throw the party after all.

Once a multimillionaire, Cryer is now broke.

Ultimately, the cowboy code might have killed Gilley's.

"You know, Bud, sometimes even a cowboy's got to swaller his pride to hold onto somebody he loves," Uncle Bob advises in the movie after Bud and Sissy split up. "Pride's one of them seven deadlies, you know what I mean?"

Bud eventually comes around. But in real life, neither Cryer nor Gilley could let go of their differences to save Houston's beloved honky-tonk

web page (http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3181625)

PQQLK9
05-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks Snake, that was a good read. I think I will go get that movie as I have only watched the trailers. The story is kind of sad though /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Cane
05-15-2005, 10:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I can always settle for a nice eatery too, Texas style, whatever that may be. <hr /></blockquote>

Spetty, What in the hell is the name of the Steak House in Mesquite? I think it's right off of Military Parkway by Don Gay's Indoor Rodeo arena? now that would be a place to take Wendy to show her "Texas Wildlife" on a friday or Saturday. Eat a steak, drink beer from the Longneck bottle and there's a dancefloor there to 2-step on (Cane will give 2 step, Texas 2-step and 10 step lessons to Yankee Ladies!), then, the Rodeo is just down the street... real bulls, real cowboys, real guts and blood... "and the gold in the buckle he'll win the next go round..." oops, broke into song there for a minute! LOL

Wendy, unfortunately, I don't know any places where we can witness a shootout (well, close to the West End in Dallas, what's it called, Spetty, Deep Ellum??? but I'm NOT going there!), but we can sure get some Texas in your blood while your there!

Geez, Spetty, I feel BrainDead... what is the name of that steak house???? Sid, Marty, RandyG, anyone???

seeya then,
Bob .......Grew up on a ranch, or as it would be more properly articulated in Oklahoma and Texas "Growed up on a rench", working cattle and horses, still answers "Yes, Ma'am" to the ladies, regardless of whether they're 20 or 120, still calls most women "Young lady", "Darlin" or "Sweetheart", all terms which we in Cowboy Country consider titles of respect not belittlement, but promises to NOT wear his pointy toed boots, snap front shirt and Stetson! (well, I MIGHT bring the boots along if we can get some folks out to a dancefloor somewhere!)

Later,
Bob

SPetty
05-15-2005, 01:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Geez, SPetty, I feel BrainDead... what is the name of that steak house???? <hr /></blockquote>Sounds like you're talking about the Trail Dust...

If Brian in VA comes, don't take him while he's wearing his new pool tie! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cane
05-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Spetty,

Yep, Trail Dust is it! Haven't been there in a long time, but last trip there (about 4 Unisys cards ago) the food was great and the atmosphere was even better.

Thanks,
Bob

poolturtle
05-15-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It would have to be Friday night, I'll be arriving at about 3ish PM on Friday. I can always settle for a nice eatery too, Texas style, whatever that may be <hr /></blockquote>

If I can make it by Friday, I got dibs on the nice eatery with 9 Ball Girl /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ryushen21
05-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Are we all invited to go out to eat with 9 Ball Girl or is it a closed event? I wouldn't mind a little pre-event dinner with some CCBers.

Cane
05-16-2005, 06:15 AM
ryushen... When it comes to food, music and dancin', there isn't any such thing as a "closed event".

I think Billie and I are going to head down on Friday. Spetty found an RV Park for us that's just a few miles from Petty Point (my motorhome won't fit without trimming some of those beautiful trees she has, and nobody should have to trim back their trees for a damn box on wheels). In any case, we should be in Terrell or thereabouts, by Friday afternoon. I'll give details later on where we'll be and how to contact us. Maybe a few of us can get together Friday night and "southernize" Wendy! LOL

Later,
Bob

9 Ball Girl
05-16-2005, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr>If I can make it by Friday, I got dibs on the nice eatery with 9 Ball Girl /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>Sounds good to me!

9 Ball Girl
05-16-2005, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> Are we all invited to go out to eat with 9 Ball Girl or is it a closed event? I wouldn't mind a little pre-event dinner with some CCBers. <hr /></blockquote>Yeah yeah yeah! Lets all have a big PowWow! LOL

9 Ball Girl
05-16-2005, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr>Maybe a few of us can get together Friday night and "southernize" Wendy! LOL<hr /></blockquote>Y'all gone have me goin' 'round the world and do-see do-ing in no time at all! LOL

Wendy~~~"Y'all"--see, it's happening already, dang it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

poolturtle
05-17-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are we all invited to go out to eat with 9 Ball Girl or is it a closed event? I wouldn't mind a little pre-event dinner with some CCBers. <hr /></blockquote>

All right, since we're all going, I'll change my claim to the seat next to 9 Ball Girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ryushen21
05-17-2005, 06:41 PM
and i'll take the one immediately across....

9 Ball Girl
05-18-2005, 07:40 AM
poolturtle and ryushen21:

How about I do a little musical chairs thing and switch my seat after every bite. LOL

Deeman2
05-18-2005, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> poolturtle and ryushen21:

How about I do a little musical chairs thing and switch my seat after every bite. LOL <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

I may come on up on Friday evening just to watch this little circus.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mexican Liquor, Ryushen21, poolturtle and a beautiful woman under the Texas stars...I know these guys, Pool is not the only game they have goin' on... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

NBG, I'll sit anywhere and just provide comic relief. Unfortunately, I've already got the women of my dreams or these guys would be "suckin' hind tit" as they say in New Yawk....Later, you and I can take on these two chili bandits in Scotch Doubles and cool their heels a little.

Look forward to seeing you.
</font color>

Deeman

9 Ball Girl
05-18-2005, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>I know these guys, Pool is not the only game they have goin' on... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif<hr /></blockquote> Game, eh? Being from New York, all I can say is that it's hard to play a player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>Look forward to seeing you.<hr /></blockquote>Me too! Can't wait to see everyone. And maybe a couple of cowboys too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ryushen21
05-18-2005, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>

How about I do a little musical chairs thing and switch my seat after every bite. LOL <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

I may come on up on Friday evening just to watch this little circus.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mexican Liquor, Ryushen21, poolturtle and a beautiful woman under the Texas stars...I know these guys, Pool is not the only game they have goin' on... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
Later, you and I can take on these two chili bandits in Scotch Doubles and cool their heels a little.
</font color><hr /></blockquote>

Deeman,

You're right. While NBG is here, maybe we should have a No Limit Texas Hold 'Em tourney. I got plenty of games we can play. hehehe.

As far as "game", every bit that i have goes to my girlfriend. She's the only one for me.

But that doesn't mean we all can't have a good time with some good tequila, good food and good people. And of course good pool.

Oh yeah, and bring on the scotch doubles. That is if there is no fear in Poolturtle. lol.

Deeman2
05-18-2005, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ryushen21:</font><hr> Later, you and I can take on these two chili bandits in Scotch Doubles and cool their heels a little.
</font color><hr /></blockquote>

Deeman,

You're right. While NBG is here, maybe we should have a No Limit Texas Hold 'Em tourney. I got plenty of games we can play. hehehe.

As far as "game", every bit that i have goes to my girlfriend. She's the only one for me.

But that doesn't mean we all can't have a good time with some good tequila, good food and good people. And of course good pool.

Oh yeah, and bring on the scotch doubles. That is if there is no fear in Poolturtle. lol. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">I feel, uh, challenged...What do you think NBG should we dust off these puppies in a match?

However, I don't play Texas Hold'em against native born Texans. Just not a good idea...

Ryushen21, glad to hear your true to your girlfriend. Just don't bet against me and NBG in pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman
my new partner shoots like a girl, damn good....

9 Ball Girl
05-18-2005, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>I feel, uh, challenged...What do you think NBG should we dust off these puppies in a match?<hr /></blockquote>Yeah! There's nothing like playing Scotch Doubles after drinking a couple of Double Scotches! This should be fun...Heh heh heh

SpiderMan
05-18-2005, 01:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Are we all invited to go out to eat with 9 Ball Girl or is it a closed event? I wouldn't mind a little pre-event dinner with some CCBers. <hr /></blockquote>

All right, since we're all going, I'll change my claim to the seat next to 9 Ball Girl. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Doug,

Did you get the weekend off? Are you interested in hitting the Friday tournament at Kelly's after dinner?

SpiderMan

poolturtle
05-19-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you get the weekend off? Are you interested in hitting the Friday tournament at Kelly's after dinner?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

I'm assuming you're talking about the weekend at SPetty's?

Here's the deal on that weekend...

I have my son all month in June, and I'm having a little trouble with arrangements for someone to keep him. I'm working on it, though. There's a beautiful NY girl, and a challenge from Deeman (Something I could never turn down), plus something about double scotches /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

All that goes a long way toward my motivation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

oh yeah, I almost forgot about a hardwood floored pool room that is just calling to me.