PDA

View Full Version : Firepower? How about 120K rounds per min?

AmazingBrewdini
05-12-2005, 05:34 PM
You want firepower? Never fear DREAD is here!

By David Crane
Editor, DefenseReview.com

Imagine a gun with no recoil, no sound, no heat, no gunpowder, no visible firing signature (muzzle flash), and no stoppages or jams of any kind. Now imagine that this gun could fire .308 caliber and .50 caliber metal projectiles accurately at up to 8,000 fps (feet-per-second), featured an infinitely variable/programmable cyclic rate-of-fire (as high as 120,000 rounds-per-minute), and were capable of laying down a 360-degree field of fire. What if you could mount this weapon on any military Humvee (HMMWV), any helicopter/gunship, any armored personnel carrier (APC), and any other vehicle for which the technology were applicable?

That would really be something, wouldn't it? Some of you might be wondering, "how big would it be," or "how much would it weigh"? Others might want to know what it's ammunition capacity would be. These are all good questions, assuming of course that a weapon like this were actually possible.

According to its inventor, not only is it possible, it's already happened. DREAD Weapon System (http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_DREAD,,00.html?ESRC=dod.nl)

Scott Lee
05-13-2005, 11:32 AM
brewdini...Naturally the only real problem will be the availability of ammo! Our soldiers in the ME right now, do not have sufficient ammunition to even protect themselves adequately (let alone enough armor plating for their own personal protection in their vehicles). Gee, who owns THAT problem? I'm guessing it would come down to TWO people...the "commander-in-chief" and his "secretary of defense"! However, since their "asses" are NOT on the line, it doesn't seem to matter much to them!

Scott Lee

Voodoo Daddy
05-13-2005, 12:14 PM
The Vulcan or the "Dragon Slayer" has been around for decades. Water-cooled with rotating barrels this weapon reeks of mass destruction. Jesse Ventura carried one in "Predator" minus the 300 gallons of water it takes to cool the barrels, HAHAHAHA.

eg8r
05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey Scott, highsea had some great information about this in an ealier thread. I am not sure what the title was, but if you do a search you should find it. He had a lot of answers to the types of replies similar to yours.

eg8r

highsea
05-13-2005, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> ... Jesse Ventura carried one in "Predator" minus the 300 gallons of water it takes to cool the barrels, HAHAHAHA.<hr /></blockquote>Or the generator to run it...(he had an extension cord up his pant leg)...or the fact that he would have been on his ass about 2 seconds after pulling the trigger...lol. 2000 rounds (the backpack loadout) of M193 ball will weigh about 110 lbs. That XM214 microgun is ~10,000rpm, so 55kg of ammo gives him 12 seconds of fire. If you really want to be mobile, you need to carry some batteries, you need about 4HP to run the drive, so add another 20 kg or so. So we have a 60 lb. gun, 100 pounds of ammo, and another 50 lbs of batteries, gives you 12 seconds of fire, most of which will be straight up, since you are lying on your back after the first two seconds (240 lbs. of recoil)... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great movie though, it has two future Governors in it...hahaha, no girlie-men allowed...

highsea
05-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Ed, I think he can search "Rumsfeld" and find it.

Scott- come down, my friend, you've been too long in Montana...next thing we know you'll be giving pool lessons to Mark Fuhrman.

Lol, I don't even want to comment on this "Dread" gun, suffice to say that it will be throwing a wicked slice, and the round 7.62 ammo will come out incandescent. Can you say meltdown? The only threat with this gun is to the operator. Cute drawing though, I like the dual pistol grips. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

This is almost as good as the GPS-radar-guided golf balls...now where did I put my laser...