PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Dirty Balls?

MacGyver
05-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Only on a billiard forum is this a valid topic....

Anyway, I am currently a college student who plays mainly on school tables, and honestly we are a small college with a little budget and the balls have gotten extremely dirty and give huge amounts of throw not to mention they are just ugly to look at.

Getting a new set of balls is doubtful, and while they won't let me take balls out to play around with, I'm sure that if I cleaned/polished them in-house there wouldn't be any issues, and depending on cost I'd like to go ahead and try something.

Does anyone have any advice on how to clean up an old set of billiard balls? Type of cloth, what type of polisher, any extra steps, ect would all be appreciated.

Thanks for any help you guys could give!

catscradle
05-13-2005, 04:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> Only on a billiard forum is this a valid topic....

Anyway, I am currently a college student who plays mainly on school tables, and honestly we are a small college with a little budget and the balls have gotten extremely dirty and give huge amounts of throw not to mention they are just ugly to look at.

Getting a new set of balls is doubtful, and while they won't let me take balls out to play around with, I'm sure that if I cleaned/polished them in-house there wouldn't be any issues, and depending on cost I'd like to go ahead and try something.

Does anyone have any advice on how to clean up an old set of billiard balls? Type of cloth, what type of polisher, any extra steps, ect would all be appreciated.

<hr /></blockquote>

Grab an old cotton t-shirt, that'll do for the cloth just fine. You can buy specialized cleaner from aramith, but I think just any old liquid car cleaner/wax combination (like Turtle wax) would work fine. Others may disagree with the wax part of it, but thought I'd throw out my opinion.

SplinterHands
05-13-2005, 05:53 AM
Wash them in hot water (no soap). Then wax them with turle wax. Then go hit some draw shots for your buddies.

Fran Crimi
05-13-2005, 07:06 AM
Hey, whatever happened to using good old fashioned Windex? Didn't anyone see "My Greek Wedding?"

Fran

Oops...I meant "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"

andrew
05-13-2005, 07:10 AM
i waxed my balls just then...they feel great and are even better to play with /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

immaturity aside, turtle wax works fine for me

Troy
05-13-2005, 07:12 AM
Any soft cotton cloth will do just fine. Try Windex® or almost any other non-abrasive cleaner. Even a bit of soap in water will work.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MacGyver:</font><hr> Only on a billiard forum is this a valid topic....

<hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
05-13-2005, 11:04 AM
What I've learned on this forum also is to not put the balls in the dishwasher. Something about doing that permanently discolors the balls.

Harold Acosta
05-13-2005, 07:16 PM
MacGyver, I thought you would have found the "solution" to your dilema by now....LOL (I'm just referring to the TV show).

I've used alcohol to clean them. Just 99 cents at your local Walgreens....

AmazingBrewdini
05-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Wash them in warm water with a little bit of dishwashing liquid. Use a terrycloth wash cloth to help loosen the dirt and crud off the surface of the balls. Rinse in warm water and dry them off with a clean terrycloth towel. Apply a light coat of car wax, let the wax dry to a haze, polish with another clean terrycloth towel. Go play.

Be aware that because of reduced friction clean balls will not throw as much as dirty, draw and masse will be more pronounced, and speed will increase. It will take a rack, or maybe two, to adjust your stroke.

LJC_Cues
05-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Hey if you cant clean them and you ever want a new set I can get you a decent set of balls for $60 including shipping. They are A grade and if taken care of properly will last 10 or more years! There not super aramith pros but they are way better than those chinese imports you can get on ebay for $30. Plus if you go in with 2 friends they only cost you $20 and you can take them with you and keep them in your room!
Let me know if you ever need a new set!
Luke