PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Recommendations PLEASE

Sid_Vicious
05-14-2005, 05:58 AM
I recently went to T-Mobile from Sprint and so far this company SUCKS! I've been through 4 phone replacements now, the latest being a Samsung E-315, supposedly a more receptive signal strength phone than the Motorola V300(had three sent to me over the last few weeks) and this phone is a piece of crap for me as well. Actually the Motorolla is even a tad better and much better in voice quality, just does not hold a call worth as damn outside central downtown Dallas, etc. T-Mobile service personnel during my calls have been crappy as far as any fixes for me, so I want advice about how to proceed, i.e. "Is there a granddaddy phone which works?" or "Is there an avenue to void this year of contract and go to a service which actually WORKS!"

My home sits 20 minutes outside of central Dallas, so you'd think that a cell phone would hold a signal, otherwise the so called free roaming feature advertised by T-Mobile would kick up another tower for me, BUT NOOOOOOOO! T-Mobile says, "Maybe we don't have an agreement with ATT or Cingular(GSM carriers) where you live", when I ask about T-Mobile's roaming service. That's unacceptable folks.

What's your advice to me as a 4 month, new customer to a phone contract which is basically useless for me? Is there a phone manufacturer which has super strength for urbanites? Is there a way to get out of this service altogether? Lastly, how do you deal with knuckle-heads in customer service with BS answers, and customer service people who say one thing like "I'll call you right back on your land line" and then never do!!!

Pissed off this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!sid

SPetty
05-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Sorry to hear that, Sid.

As you know, cell phones don't work out at PettyPoint very well. But, I've had the great opportunity to have people over with all different services. The last time Cane was here, he was standing in the middle of the pool hall with his phone in his pocket and it rang! And he answered it! And talked on it like it was no big deal!

That was the last indicator I needed - I traded in my Sprint (which didn't work here or at work) for Cingular. Had to sign a two year contract. It get's a little "iffy" every now and then, but it does seem to work in places that the Sprint phone never did.

Cingular says that if you are seeing new towers being put up, they're being put up by Cingular. The other providers think they're covered already. Ha! As you and I both know, that's untrue.

Sorry, I don't have better advice for your situation.

cueball1950
05-14-2005, 05:28 PM
SID. GO BACK TO THEIR STORE AND ASK TO LOOK AT A MAP OF THEIR COVERED AREA. IF IT SAYS THAT YOUR AREA IS COVERED AND YOU CANNOT GET SERVICE THEN TELL THEM YOU WANT OUT AS IT IS FALSE ADVERTISING. I USE VERIZON AND I HAVE NOT RUN INTO ANY REAL PROBLEM AREAS EXCEPT WHEN IN THE ADIRONDACK MOUNTAINS. THEY CANNOT TELL YOU YOU HAVE SERVICE IN A PARTICULAR AREA AND THEN NOT HAVE IT. JUST KEEP THE MAP YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOUR POINT.....HOPE IT HELPS.......MIKE
ps; sorry about all the caps. dod not know i had hit the caps lock key

DebraLiStarr
05-14-2005, 09:39 PM
I went through the same thing with T-Mobile a few years ago. It was just horrible service. I went through the same nightmare you are going through, and I switched phones a few times and finally (out of frustration) I bought a new phone. In the end, I could have bought a hundred phones and I would have still had their crappy service. Eventually, I paid to get out of the contract. By that time I didn't care anymore.

I have been with Cingular for over two years and I have nothing but good things to say about their service and their coverage area. Recently I was in your area (Dallas) and I did not have any problems with my Cingular service. T-Mobile always blamed the cell phone, but its their coverage and their service that needs to be fixed. From reading your post, they told you the same thing.

Scott Lee
05-14-2005, 09:46 PM
sid...I just recently changed carriers too. I had ATT for 4 years, and it worked pretty well everywhere in the country, EXCEPT where I LIVE! LOL When Cingular bought ATT last year, they told me that my service with ATT would get worse (in MT), and eventually would be inoperable! They were right! I could be driving down the street in Bozeman, and lose the call and signal simply be 'crossing' the wrong street! Grrrrrrrr! I went with Verizon, and it works perfects here, and elsewhere. I got the cheapest Motorola (V-265), because it was only $20. I wanted the new Motorola Razer, but it's only sold by Cingular, and costs $500!!! Yeah, right! LOL I checked coverage maps for all the nationwide services available, and Verizon has the best coverage.

Scott

Sid_Vicious
05-15-2005, 05:21 AM
What gets me is the obvious BS and contradiction you get from the CS personnel, AND EVEN WHEN YOU CATCH THEM FLAT FOOTED! I've begun asking for employee names and employee numbers, plus asking specifically for managers instead of the "indians" you get when you call in for help. These monkeys JUST THINK they'll schmooze me over,,,somebody is going to be accountable and liable for false advertisement soon or later. I'd think it would benefit T-Mobile to let me out of this contract just because of the stink I'm ready to cause this company. The only reason I am not barking like a big dog at one right now is because the last one said I had 6 months of VIP service, i.e. only having to pay the taxes, etc and not the service. I'll find out come next billing statement, and if it is another lie, I am going to toss that guy's name and employee number around with T-Mobile upper management, plus everywhere else I can think of, BBB, you name it.

Btw, the local "problem" of coverage in my area was supposedly being worked on and scheduled to be fixed as of the 14th(yesterday.) Do you want to guess what my current status is now on the 15th, a lazy Sunday? Still SUCKS just as badly!!! I will accept the service today as long as the VIP is a reality, and that's the only reason I am still in their game at all. I've just never seen such total, obvious deception and out and out untruths with a company like this one. I ain't done with jacking T-Mobile's chain around yet...sid

SnakebyteXX
05-15-2005, 06:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When Cingular bought ATT last year, they told me that my service with ATT would get worse (in MT), and eventually would be inoperable! <hr /></blockquote>

This is due to the fact that when Cingular bought them out they chose to discontinue ATT's digital service and begin closing down the digital cell sites in favor of (for them) cheaper 'GSM' technology. The problem with GSM is that it's still not fully available in some parts of the country once adequately covered by digital. They are still in the early stages of building new GSM cell sites to resolve that problem.

For my wife and I here in Nor Cal the sale of AT&amp;T to Cingular translated to our being forced to switch from digital service to Cingular's GSM when her old cell phone broke and needed to be replaced. Cingular does not (would not?) sell replacement digital phones. In order to get a new phone from them we were told that we had to switch to the new GSM service and sign up for a 'new' GSM contract.

So... I got a brand new two person two year whiz bang contract complete with two brand new whiz bang Motorola 'Bluetooth' capable GSM cell phones and proudly brought them home. What a bummmer! Turns out our geographic area that was thoroughly covered by AT&amp;T digital service has very sparse GSM coverage. We couldn't even call each other's phones standing ten feet apart in our own home. 'CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!?!?!? The phones wouldn't work or worked very poorly in a multitude of areas around where we live. It really sucked to be unable to get service in many of the places where we had once had crystal clear connections.

Two days and tons of failed calls later I returned the new phones and cancelled the contract. That was the easy part. It took nearly a full hour and seven calls to various invisible buck passing entities at Cingular to 'port' us back to AT&amp;T digital service. Then I learned that because they won't sell digital phones any more and their charge for repairing a digital phone with a broken antenna was roughly equivalant to the traditional arm and a leg, I would have to find a replacement digital phone for my wife on eBay or some (any?) source other than Cingular. Talk about a pain in the ass.

Long story short? We have one year to go on our old contract at the end of which I will seriously consider switching to Verizon because they still offer digital service and digital service gets the job done where I live. Meahwhile, Cingular's AT&amp;T buyout is forcing many formerly satisfied digital service customers to switch to a new service technology (GSM) that may (as was the case for us) turn out to be vastly inferior to what they once had.

Snake

Gayle in MD
05-15-2005, 06:27 AM
Hi Sid,
I have Verizon, and have never had trouble with service unless I am driving in the area of those huge rows of power lines, then I go through a dead space.

When we were in the Bahamas, we went all over that area, and my cell phone was the only one out of four on board that worked everywhere! When I got home the bill for the month was $800.00, lol...sometimes it's better not to be the one with the phone that works, LOL.

Gayle in Md.

DebraLiStarr
05-15-2005, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> What gets me is the obvious BS and contradiction you get from the CS personnel, AND EVEN WHEN YOU CATCH THEM FLAT FOOTED! I've begun asking for employee names and employee numbers, plus asking specifically for managers instead of the "indians" you get when you call in for help. These monkeys JUST THINK they'll schmooze me over,,,somebody is going to be accountable and liable for false advertisement soon or later. I'd think it would benefit T-Mobile to let me out of this contract just because of the stink I'm ready to cause this company. The only reason I am not barking like a big dog at one right now is because the last one said I had 6 months of VIP service, i.e. only having to pay the taxes, etc and not the service. I'll find out come next billing statement, and if it is another lie, I am going to toss that guy's name and employee number around with T-Mobile upper management, plus everywhere else I can think of, BBB, you name it.

Btw, the local "problem" of coverage in my area was supposedly being worked on and scheduled to be fixed as of the 14th(yesterday.) Do you want to guess what my current status is now on the 15th, a lazy Sunday? Still SUCKS just as badly!!! I will accept the service today as long as the VIP is a reality, and that's the only reason I am still in their game at all. I've just never seen such total, obvious deception and out and out untruths with a company like this one. I ain't done with jacking T-Mobile's chain around yet...sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,
Don't waste your time. I have a good friend that used to work customer service for another service provider. When you call customer service, you are actually talking to an inbound telemarketer that works for a company that is independent from T-Mobile. This company hires an hourly employee and trains them on the company (T-Mobile) and this telemarketing company has a big money contract with T-Mobile. Their main goal is customer retention. This is why they are quick to blame the cell phone and not the technology. I'm pretty sure the first person you talked to told you that there must be smething wrong with the cell phone. They take your information, and refer you to the nearest T-Mobile location to trade in your cell phone for a new one. They make a note on your account about what the problem was and how it was solved. Then they toss you back into the waters. You call again with the same problem as before and they convince you to buy a new cell phone. They told me about new technology, and how I needed to upgrade to a different phone blah-blah-blah. Being a dummy at the time, that is exactly what I did. With the new phone it was worse. I called, I kicked ass and took names of people who really didn't matter when it came to T-Mobile. I found out that the calling center that performed customer service was acting as a representative of T-Mobile. None of the people I talked to were T-Mobile employees, except for the people at the T-Mobile booth at the local mall. I would call and raise hell and scream and I wanted answers - dammit. They would do their best to calm me down, and this is why:

I was locked into a two year agreement, with 14 months left on it. They could have cared less what I said, how I said it, or why I said it. As long as they retained me as a customer, it was a successful conversation, regardless of whether or not my problem was solved. Knowing this, my advice is to you go back to a T-Mobile location, and ask your questions there. Look through your contract and find out how much it would cost you get out of it, and weigh that against paying the remainder of your contract out and receiving the same crappy service. The math I did for myself told me that I should get out of that contract, pay whatever I had to and move on to another company. That way I would be able to talk on my brand new cell phone. I saved money, time, and aggravation. So don't waste your time yelling at telemarketers that have been trained to ignore your anger. They know you have a contract, and when they pull your name up on a screen, it tells them exactly how long is left on that contract. They know that the last thing you want to do is to pay to get out of the contract. I was so fed up I didn't care what it cost.

armandito
05-18-2005, 02:48 PM
Sid,
I recently switched from Cellcom (a local company) to Cingular (which wasn't available in the area until they bought ATT). I had 5 lines/phones that I wanted to switch, but my reasons included long distance and international use, as I travel frequently.

To make the story short, I have switched three lines, two were cancelled immediately (with Cingular you have 30 days to cancel and if you cancel within 3 days, you aren't charged an activation fee).

I tried several phones before cancelling (the clearest were in this order Motorola, Nokia, LG), but with the digital or GSM networks the phones do not significantly improve reception. The example that I was given was to compare those signals to cable vs. satellite. With cable you can get distorted signals, therefore the connection is important, but with satellite (digital) you will get a good signal, or nothing at all.

I have to agree that complaining/taking names/threatening are not going to solve your problem, particularly if you purchased the phone(s) online. What I would recommend that you do is visit a non-corporate store that sells t-mobile, and ask them to help you (I purchased mine at such a store) in switching cellphones/companies. Those non-corporate stores do not receive a commission until after 6 months of service, and they have to provide the customer service that the corporate stores don't. You will need to decide if you want to pay $30 for the next 18 months (and have a useless phone), or pay $150-$200 cancelation fees and possibly use the same phone with another company (this will also mean that you do not have to sign contracts for 2 yrs).

The phones I ended up with are Motorolas. Two of the V551 and one of the RAZR V3. The RAZR is worth the $300 (with 2yr contract) price tag. Email, internet browsing, text messaging, plus the size/weight (the camera is not that good). /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AmazingBrewdini
05-18-2005, 06:43 PM
I have Verizon and I have never had a problem at home (New Jersey) or away (Southern US, West Coast, Midwest, New England).

I can get a signal inside buildings where Sprint, T-Mobile, and other cell phones can't. Am I happy? You betcha!

catscradle
05-19-2005, 04:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AmazingBrewdini:</font><hr> I have Verizon and I have never had a problem at home (New Jersey) or away (Southern US, West Coast, Midwest, New England).

I can get a signal inside buildings where Sprint, T-Mobile, and other cell phones can't. Am I happy? You betcha! <hr /></blockquote>

FWIW, I've only ever had Verizon and have had no complains at all.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2005, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote AmazingBrewdini:</font><hr> I have Verizon and I have never had a problem at home (New Jersey) <hr /></blockquote>

My housemate/scotch-doubles partner Kathy has Verizon and has no complaints. The only places she has been out of service was the hills of eastern OH and the mountains of SE KY