View Full Version : What Type of Plywood to Use Under Table

05-16-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi All,

I had a 9 foot Brunswick table installed about 2 years ago on the first floor. (Camden II in Family Room...I mean Pool Room /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I was worried about the table settling after the install...and sure enough, the joints popped and the installers had to come back and fix it. (Not really a problem because they put a cut in the cloth on one of the rails and had to come back anyway).

It's been almost 2 years, the cloth needs replacing and the table is no longer level. I put a throw carpet under the table, as well, and the legs have sunk into the carpet and the carpet is all krinkled around the legs. (Also, throw carpet is on top of normal carpet!). I've heard that the best thing to do is to put some plywood under the table to help distribute the weight, to keep the legs from sinking into the carpet, and to help keep the table level.

So the questions is...what type of plywood (how thick; for size, how much beyond the legs should plywood extend; is there a best type of plywood for strength--pressure treated...etc.)

Hopefully someone has experience with this and will know exactly what to do and what type of plywood to use. Thanks for your help.

05-16-2005, 12:11 PM
I'd suggest making sure the floor is stable enough to hold the thing... after that I'd probably find beams that run along your floor supporting it, then instead of plywood sheets small squares for each foot. they don't have to be thick, 3/4 inch more so probably 1/2 inch... after that start using shimmies to level your table, or thin sheets of more plywood... one more thing, a table will never stay level forever, so keep checking it, weekly at first then monthly till it seems somewhat settled. But your house will always be settling, the carpet and wood will compact under the feet it's like a pool requires a great deal of upkeep