PDA

View Full Version : why is it? (Re: 314 shaft)

sack316
05-17-2005, 11:31 AM
hey guys and gals, was just curious about something. As some of you know I've had a predator 314 for over a year now and love it. But one thing I have not been able to do well is jump with it. Now, I don't have a strong jump shot anyway, but usually if it's not too close I can jump a half ball or so... just not with my predator shaft. I don't know alot of the technical aspects of it, but my guess is that it has to do with the deflection. Am I right in thinking this? And if so is there any way to compensate for it?

Nightstalker
05-17-2005, 12:10 PM
I am not certain, but I believe that it may have to do with the low mass in the tip end of the cue. Typically jump cues have more mass in the tip end which would cause more deflection, but eases the act of jumping a ball.

Cueless Joey
05-17-2005, 01:55 PM
The combination of low-end mass ( 314's are designed to deflect off cueballs before the cueballs deflect off them ) and soft ferrule have to do with it.
314 might just be the worst shaft to jump with.

sack316
05-17-2005, 02:43 PM
thanks for the answers guys. OK, now if I am wanting to get a jump or jump/break cue, what would you suggest me looking into?

tateuts
05-17-2005, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> thanks for the answers guys. OK, now if I am wanting to get a jump or jump/break cue, what would you suggest me looking into? <hr /></blockquote>

I think that's a more complex question.

I have come to the conclusion that I break better with a hard leather tip, not phenolic. I have much better control of the cueball and the 1 ball. I also break better with a long cue, 60", and a long controlled stroke.

But I jump better with a phenolic tip. I can get the cueball up in the air faster with a short jump cue with phenolic and that's nice when facing a full ball jump.

However, I can aim long jump shots better with a long cue.
So, I now use my break cue (any kind with a leather tip is fine) for break shots and long jump shots when I can clear the object ball easily.

I use the short cue for short jump shots and full ball jumps when the object ball is close. They all seem to work pretty well.

My regular cue has a Predator shaft. I can jump with it and take half the cloth off the table at the same time.

Chris

ceebee
05-17-2005, 03:56 PM
The radial laminated shaft is great for playing with, the column strength of the shaft may be too great for a jump cue.

In a jump shot, the cue has to strike the cue ball, sending the cue ball ricocheting into the table &amp; on a path to the object ball. A shaft with too much column strength doesn't work well on a jump shot.

Cueless Joey
05-17-2005, 04:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> The radial laminated shaft is great for playing with, the column strength of the shaft may be too great for a jump cue.

In a jump shot, the cue has to strike the cue ball, sending the cue ball ricocheting into the table &amp; on a path to the object ball. A shaft with too much column strength doesn't work well on a jump shot. <hr /></blockquote>
That sounds good but I don't get it at all.