PDA

View Full Version : Home security systems

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2005, 07:18 AM
anybody had any experiences, good or bad, with home security systems? can they really make motion detectors that can be set off by a human, but not a dog?

Wally <~~ closing the barn door after the horse is out but before the cows can get out too

Barbara
05-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Wally,

If you have pets, then it's best not to get a motion detector in the house because you'd have to set it so far off, it would be worthless.

I would suggest getting a system that monitors all the openings of your house - the windows and doors - and one that automatically calls the police if the monitoring system can't get in touch with you before they call your local police.

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2005, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> ...I would suggest getting a system that monitors all the openings of your house - the windows and doors - .. <hr /></blockquote>

that'll cost a fortune /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PQQLK9
05-18-2005, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> anybody had any experiences, good or bad, with home security systems? can they really make motion detectors that can be set off by a human, but not a dog?

Wally &lt;~~ closing the barn door after the horse is out but before the cows can get out too <hr /></blockquote>

Afew years ago I had a system installed (commercial office) and the motion detecter was positioned or designed in a manner to only detect movement a couple of feet or so above the floor so the guard dogs would not set if off. I dont remember the name however.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2005, 07:36 AM
thanks

maybe i could put a motion detector in the bedroom (that's the first place they go) and leave the door closed when we're gone so the animals can't get in

i just saw a package online w/ 1 motion detector and 6 door/window contacts for $699

the guy i talked to offered 2 keypads, 3 m.d.'s and a 100db siren for $399 w/ 18.95/month monitoring fee (local monitoring)

eg8r
05-18-2005, 07:46 AM
I have had home security systems in just about every house I have ever lived in. Only the past 5 years has it been monitored (except we just cancelled that service). The only bad I have had was cancelling the service. It was stated in our written contract that I had to give written notice 3 months prior to the end of the contract. Well, that is not what the guy told us when he came to our house and set it up. I ended up having to pay for the service for one more year. Then they tried everything in the book to keep us, but we dumped them. When we fulfilled our contract we got to keep all the hardware and that was all I wanted.

As for the motion detector. There are a couple ways to arm the alarm. One is "away" and one is "stay". If you are leaving dogs out of their cages to roam the house, then you want to set the alarm for "stay". This will disable the motion detectors. The problem with this, is to save money most people will use one motion detector to cover the majority of a room including windows (usually a living room). Well, when you choose stay it disables the motion detectors which make the room a good opportunity to break in without triggering the alarm.

From my experience most alarm companies are so hard up for new customers they will usually give in to your demands. In my case, we had contacts placed on every single window, every single door with outside access and two motion detectors. We got all the hardware installed free and had a full warranty (which we had to use once and the call and service were free), all for 34.99/month. That was a great price for us, since all our friends and family had paid for installation and any extra contacts above the 3 or 5 that were being offered. In all we had 17 window contacts and 4 door contacts all installed for free. I was happy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
05-18-2005, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote barbara:</font><hr>
...I would suggest getting a system that monitors all the openings of your house - the windows and doors - ..
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr>that'll cost a fortune<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> Not really. If you get a few companies to come out to your house you can usually haggle with them. Also, if you let them know that they are competing for your business with x, y, and z other companies, then they will begin to bargain with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif We had 4 companies come out in sequential hours and they all saw the other companies coming or leaving. It worked great. These guys are quite hard up for business and the hardware is very inexpensive to them. Most used to charge $50/contact when they were getting them for a couple dollars. I am not recommending a DIY project (because their labor is built into the $50 also), but knowing that they hardware is inexpensive to them and they get 95% of their profit from the monitoring (not installation fees), you can understand why they begin to give a little when they know they are competing with each other.

eg8r

Troy
05-18-2005, 08:24 AM
Rottweiller.

Works great... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-18-2005, 08:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> ...If you are leaving dogs out of their cages to roam the house, then you want to set the alarm for "stay". This will disable the motion detectors. The problem with this, is to save money most people will use one motion detector to cover the majority of a room including windows (usually a living room). Well, when you choose stay it disables the motion detectors which make the room a good opportunity to break in without triggering the alarm.

<hr /></blockquote>

The guy I just talked to said the new md's are sensitive to location and size of the object

he said if a 70 lb. burlar crawled the whole time he was in the house he might be able to defeat it.

i wonder if he's blowing smoke /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

LARRY_BOY
05-18-2005, 12:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> thanks

maybe i could put a motion detector in the bedroom (that's the first place they go) and leave the door closed when we're gone so the animals can't get in

i just saw a package online w/ 1 motion detector and 6 door/window contacts for $699

the guy i talked to offered 2 keypads, 3 m.d.'s and a 100db siren for $399 w/ 18.95/month monitoring fee (local monitoring) <hr /></blockquote>

I had SCI. I don't know if that is national company but I think it is. It cost $99 to start and they supplied 3 door openings and 1 motion sensor. It cost $29.95 a month to be monitored. As stated the motion sensor can be aimed above a pets height. It works great.......hope this helped.

Chopstick
05-19-2005, 04:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> anybody had any experiences, good or bad, with home security systems? can they really make motion detectors that can be set off by a human, but not a dog?

Wally &lt;~~ closing the barn door after the horse is out but before the cows can get out too <hr /></blockquote>

I used to live with a woman that had a monitored system with motion detectors. I think it was Brinks. It would go off for me but it ignored my cat.

roscoe
05-19-2005, 07:07 AM
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;rls=GGLD,GGLD:2003-36,GGLD:en&amp;q="motion+detector"+pets

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2005, 07:32 AM
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;rls=GGLD,GGLD:2003-36,GGLD:en&amp;q="motion+detector"+pets]fixed google link[/url]

thanks roscoe. I had googled but did not find much.

the first link shows a md for pets up to 40 lbs.

sadly my puppy Seabiscuit is 55 and growing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dg-in-centralpa
05-19-2005, 08:22 AM
The best thing you can do is talk to someone in your area who installs them. They can make the best recommendation.

DG

Sid_Vicious
05-19-2005, 10:18 AM
It's your choice but I had my system complete with door and window sensors. I have indoor pets and chose not to have the motion sensor installed, besides the window and doors all being wired keeps me feeling much more secure. I'd dicker for that setup if I were you and blow off the motion sensor. My system is wireless, and should economical as all git in this day and time...sid

Wally_in_Cincy
05-21-2005, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> the first link shows a md for pets up to 40 lbs.

sadly my puppy Seabiscuit is 55 and growing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Got the system installed yesterday. I feel much better.

Haven't tested to see if the dog sets it off yet. I can't let her run loose in the house while we're gone anyway. She's still too frisky.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.