PDA

View Full Version : Moori Tips

Huey9Ball
05-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I need help... Can anyone tell me what makes a Moori tip better than other layered tips.

Billy_Bob
05-18-2005, 11:09 PM
Well for every player who prefers Moori, you will probably find someone who prefers something else. In other words, all players never agree on which is the best tip - ever!

So I decided to try different tips myself and find out which I prefered. I now prefer Moori. To me, it seems like the Moori or pig skin is like a low pile carpeting - whereas a leather tip is more like a shag carpeting.

I feel that a Moori tip gets more contact on the ball than a leather tip, but that is just my guess. You would need a robot to accurately test different tips. Anyway, I feel I get more consistent "friction" or contact with the cue ball with a Moori.

Note that I also *always* keep my tip a dime shape and resurface the tip [with a sandpaper shaper] if it starts to become slick. So I'm *always* shooting with a tip in the same exact condition. I suppose you could do that with any tip and also get consistent results.

I would suggest experimenting with different tips. Also different tip shapes like nickel, dime, and quarter.

catscradle
05-19-2005, 05:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> I need help... Can anyone tell me what makes a Moori tip better than other layered tips. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not sure it is better than any other layered tip, but I like playing with it better than any other layered tip I've tried. I did like playing with Talisman softs, but they delamed on me.

bustah360
05-19-2005, 06:40 AM
I know that they're supposed to last much longer as far as usage. I always thought that was the main reason why they're pricier than all the others.

Nightstalker
05-19-2005, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> I need help... Can anyone tell me what makes a Moori tip better than other layered tips. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm not sure it is better than any other layered tip, but I like playing with it better than any other layered tip I've tried. I did like playing with Talisman softs, but they delamed on me.
<hr /></blockquote>

Were you using a tip pick on the Talisman? I guess I wonder how it delaminated. What methods were you using to scuff, shape, etc?

catscradle
05-19-2005, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> I need help... Can anyone tell me what makes a Moori tip better than other layered tips. <hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

Were you using a tip pick on the Talisman? I guess I wonder how it delaminated. What methods were you using to scuff, shape, etc? <hr /></blockquote>

No tip pick. If I shaped it or roughed it up at all it would be with sandpaper. I would burnish it by hand whenever I cleaned and burnished my shaft just by virtue of my stroke while burnishing the shaft extending all the way to the tip. That was about it.
I've heard of other people having problems and others never having a problem. At any rate, the Moori is fine and I'll just stick with that rather than trying a Talisman again.

Troy
05-19-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm not so sure Moori is really better. Just more expensive.
I have customers who have switched to Talisman Pro. Their tips have lasted about a year with everyday use. No problems with de-lamination.
My cue has a Talisman Pro Soft that's been on for about 15 months with no problems. I play mostly One Pocket.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> I need help... Can anyone tell me what makes a Moori tip better than other layered tips. <hr /></blockquote>

Rich R.
05-19-2005, 08:35 AM
I normally use the Moori medium, but I did put a Talisman Pro medium on an extra cue. I find it to be a little too hard for my taste, but it does play well.

Some day, I would like to try the Talisman soft, as I have to assume it would be harder than the Moori soft and may be just about right for me.

Nightstalker
05-19-2005, 09:36 AM
That is odd, I thought that the Mooris ran firmer than the Talismans at the same hardness rating. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Huey9Ball
05-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I guess Moori does not have a web site to show any technical data. A friend from the pool hall told me about this new layered tip Kamui that is supposed to be better than Moori. I found the web site with tech data. Kamuitips.com (http://www.kamuitips.com)
I am convinced to compare the two tips.

Rich R.
05-19-2005, 10:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> That is odd, I thought that the Mooris ran firmer than the Talismans at the same hardness rating. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I definitely thought the Talismans were harder. JMHO.

Nightstalker
05-19-2005, 10:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> Thank you all for your responses. I guess Moori does not have a web site to show any technical data. A friend from the pool hall told me about this new layered tip Kamui that is supposed to be better than Moori. I found the web site with tech data. Kamuitips.com (http://www.kamuitips.com)
I am convinced to compare the two tips. <hr /></blockquote>

Those are the one tip that is more expensive than Moori!

catscradle
05-19-2005, 10:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> Thank you all for your responses. I guess Moori does not have a web site to show any technical data. A friend from the pool hall told me about this new layered tip Kamui that is supposed to be better than Moori. I found the web site with tech data. Kamuitips.com (http://www.kamuitips.com)

Those are the one tip that is more expensive than Moori! <hr /></blockquote>
Since the original poster's join date was 5/16 and he started this thread on 5/18 and the last post sure sounded like a Kamui plug, I'm wondering if he is a shill for Kamui.
Just a thought.

Scott Lee
05-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Answer: NOTHING!

Like was discussed, it is an individual preference. Kamui tips are brand new, and comparable to other layered tips, except they are even MORE expensive than Moori. Talisman is still the better deal, imo.

Scott Lee

MosconiJr
05-19-2005, 12:27 PM

I used Moori Mediums exclusively until about 2 years ago. Seems like the last batch I got miscued easier. I tried the Sniper tip and have played with it ever since. It seems to play a little more consistently than the Moori. The quality on the Mooris used to be great, but there seems to be a little more inconsistency in the Moori tips now.

MosconiJr

catscradle
05-19-2005, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MosconiJr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> I need help... Can anyone tell me what makes a Moori tip better than other layered tips. <hr /></blockquote>

I used Moori Mediums exclusively until about 2 years ago. Seems like the last batch I got miscued easier. I tried the Sniper tip and have played with it ever since. It seems to play a little more consistently than the Moori. The quality on the Mooris used to be great, but there seems to be a little more inconsistency in the Moori tips now.

MosconiJr <hr /></blockquote>

I understand that is the reason they came out with the Moori III, the Moori II's were the ones with some minor problems.

Popcorn
05-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Of course he is, the web site was only set up a few weeks ago and he is trying to get out the word.

Billy_Bob
05-19-2005, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> ...Kamui...
Kamuitips.com (http://www.kamuitips.com)
<hr /></blockquote>

Ok this is pig skin also. See how "low pile" it is. Then look at a regular leather tip and notice the "strands" sticking up. It is my guess that the "lower pile" on the pig skin tips would get more friction on the cue ball as I mentioned above. (And again, you would need a robot to test this of course...)

Troy
05-19-2005, 05:07 PM
There is NO WAY I would pay $18.95 for a Kamui tip.

I will continue to stock Talisman Pro tips in Soft, Medium &amp; Hard, have them available to my customers for $20 installed, and sell them for $6.00 each (including postage to the lower 48 States) to anyone wanting to self-install their tips. BTW, Talisman Pro tips are also made from pig skin.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> Thank you all for your responses. I guess Moori does not have a web site to show any technical data. A friend from the pool hall told me about this new layered tip Kamui that is supposed to be better than Moori. I found the web site with tech data. Kamuitips.com (http://www.kamuitips.com)

Popcorn
05-19-2005, 05:23 PM
"Talisman Pro tips are also made from pig skin."

Not all pig skin is the same. The pigs found in the US and most of the world have coarse hair and it leaves the skin full of holes and less quality. Japanese pigs have skin like human skin and the hair is very fine. I was told this when I was doing research into making tips, I found there was a lot more to it. One breeder told me there aren't any pigs in the US just hogs, what ever that meant.

Troy
05-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Talisman tips are made in Thailand.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> quote

Not all pig skin is the same. The pigs found in the US and most of the world have coarse hair and it leaves the skin full of holes and less quality. Japanese pigs have skin like human skin and the hair is very fine. I was told this when I was doing research into making tips, I found there was a lot more to it. One breeder told me there aren't any pigs in the US just hogs, what ever that meant. <hr /></blockquote>

catscradle
05-20-2005, 04:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Talisman tips are made in Thailand.

<font color="red"> Have you had the opportunity to inspect their pigs for hair quality? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> quote

Not all pig skin is the same. The pigs found in the US and most of the world have coarse hair and it leaves the skin full of holes and less quality. Japanese pigs have skin like human skin and the hair is very fine. I was told this when I was doing research into making tips, I found there was a lot more to it. One breeder told me there aren't any pigs in the US just hogs, what ever that meant. <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

szambushka
05-20-2005, 07:28 AM

I don't think anyone knows why they are better.. I think its preference.. I like them, they are consistant.

Szammy

JimS
05-22-2005, 04:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Huey9Ball:</font><hr> I need help... Can anyone tell me what makes a Moori tip better than other layered tips. <hr /></blockquote>

Answer: NOTHING!

Like was discussed, it is an individual preference. Kamui tips are brand new, and comparable to other layered tips, except they are even MORE expensive than Moori. Talisman is still the better deal, imo.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

I like a hard tip. The Talisman Pro hard seemed to me to be harder than the Morri Quick but...

Now that I've had them installed for a few months I can't remember or tell by hitting them which is which.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Moral: I'll stick with the less expensive Talisman .... made by a US citizen living in Thailand.

Scott Lee
05-22-2005, 10:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Moral: I'll stick with the less expensive Talisman .... made by a US citizen living in Thailand. <hr /></blockquote>

Jim...Tony Jones, although articulate, intelligent, and a standup manufacturer of superior leather billiard products, is a citizen of Australia (living in Bangkok), not the U.S.! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

JimS
05-23-2005, 03:41 AM
Well blow me down. I had no idea.

SpiderMan
05-23-2005, 03:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Well blow me down. I had no idea. <hr /></blockquote>

Understandable, there are lots of us Joneses out there.

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
05-23-2005, 08:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>
Understandable, there are lots of us Joneses out there.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

...and you KNOW how hard it is, "keepin' up with the Joneses!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

Deeman2
05-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Scott,

I still use my old WB tips. Do any of you feel the layered tips bring that much more to the game? If I was miscuing and having my tips mushroom a lot, I might consider one. In your opinions, do these really perfrom better than a normal tip? If so, in what way?

Have their been independent tests that show improved performance?

Deeman