PDA

View Full Version : winning

Drop1
05-18-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm not a good player,but I'm a winner. Better players beat themselves,while I wait. I can't draw a cue ball back two inches. Are there many others out there with the same problem?

Rod
05-18-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't draw a cue ball back two inches. Are there many others out there with the same problem?
<hr /></blockquote>

Believe me there are many with the same problem. I have a short answer. Hit the c/b well below center with enough force for the distance involved. Simple enough but the problem is, people may aim below center but they don't hit there on the actual stroke. ( A stroke flaw)

Many may not even know where center really is. Seems simple enough but you'd be supprised. There are several good books instruction books that cover basics, you may want to invest. Better yet find a good instructor for a good introduction to the basics.

Rod

Drop1
05-18-2005, 10:17 PM
I would love to find a good instructor,but I live in Guadalajara,and finding a good instructor is not likley. My wife and I have a large house,great view of the city,and would welcome non smoking instructors,who would like to exchange a little vacation time for lessons. I would even get Cabo Wabo for Barbara.

SpiderMan
05-19-2005, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I would love to find a good instructor,but I live in Guadalajara,and finding a good instructor is not likley. My wife and I have a large house,great view of the city,and would welcome non smoking instructors,who would like to exchange a little vacation time for lessons. I would even get Cabo Wabo for Barbara. <hr /></blockquote>

That is a very interesting proposition .... what do vacationers do in Guadalajara?

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
05-19-2005, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Many may not even know where center really is. Seems simple enough but you'd be supprised. There are several good books instruction books that cover basics, you may want to invest. Better yet find a good instructor for a good introduction to the basics.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Drop1...Rod is right on here! Here's a VERY easy way to "see" the 'center' of the CB (keep in mind this is the center as a circumference...as the REAL center is in the core of the ball). Place a new piece of chalk (Master of course) next to the CB. Position the middle of your ferrule on the point of one corner of the chalk. A new piece of chalk is exactly a 1" cube, and since the "center" area you want to aim at is exactly 1 1/8" from the surface of the table, put your cue there and you'll see where center is. Most folks "see" center somewhere between 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" off the table, usually due to perceptual vision errors, caused naturally by your head being above the surface of the table. Even if your chin is on the cue, at address, your head will still be around 6" off the cloth, creating a perception of center, but actual contact is somewhat higher, unless you adjust slightly downward. Like Rod said, you are likely not stroking the CB low enough. Put a stripe on the table with the stripe horizontal to the table. The MIDDLE of the stripe will correspond to the point on the chalk, as well. For easy draw, aim the TOP edge of your tip at the BOTTOM edge of the stripe. Use a slow, smooth backswing, and a loose grip...and you should draw the ball quite easily with no effort (keep the CB &amp; OB close...less than 1 foot apart, initially, until you can draw consistently with no miscues). BTW...did you buy the 8' table you posted about earlier?

Scott Lee

Stretch
05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> I would love to find a good instructor,but I live in Guadalajara,and finding a good instructor is not likley. My wife and I have a large house,great view of the city,and would welcome non smoking instructors,who would like to exchange a little vacation time for lessons. I would even get Cabo Wabo for Barbara. <hr /></blockquote>

Damn i smoke......Can i sleep in the Garage? St.

Drop1
05-19-2005, 07:06 PM
There are a lot of Churches here,and a lot of table dance places. The city is full of historic buildings,and transit police,in dirty uniforms. Our first year here,the buses killed 105 people by running over them. Don't do drugs,because its a sure seven years in prison,unless you have a lot of money. The air is heavy with smoke,from all the dry grass burning. Best way few days in Puerto Vallarta,and then to Guadaljara,to see the good the bad,and the ugly for a few days,give a lesson for a couple hours in the mourning and then tell me what you want to do. It all depends on where your head is. I don't do night life,so if thats your bag, you're on your own. If you want to bring a friend,thats cool.The idea is have a good time,and share your knowledge of playing pool.
Steve

Rod
05-19-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Place a new piece of chalk (Master of course) next to the CB <hr /></blockquote>

Green or Blue? LOL Great idea of finding center BTW.

Rod

Scott Lee
05-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Rod...Blue, of course! The green is .0000000077351mm smaller! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

Drop1
05-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Scott,
Thank you for the explanation. I will give it a try. No I haven't bought the table,but I'm hearing from alot of people. Again thank you for the reply.
Steve

Drop1
05-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Stretch,
Can't handle the smoke. A lot of people from Canada down here.
Steve