PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

loyter
05-19-2005, 08:24 AM
I am a brand new member. I have read through some of the threads, and I see that many of you are very serious about this stuff.

Brief bio: I started playing in the mid-80's in a buddy's basement because it was cheap and I was poor. I later played leagues for 2 seasons, but really didn't care much for it. (too structured, not enough games.) Then I fell away from the game for several years, but recently (a year ago) started playing local tournaments. I love tournament play, with its pressure and competition.

I have now become sort of a big fish in that little weekly pond and I would like to start playing with some of the better players/bigger tournaments. (I live in Salt Lake City)

I am hoping that I will learn something useful hanging around this board. Maybe, just maybe, I'll have something to contribute as well.

loyter

Rich R.
05-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Welcome. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
05-19-2005, 09:07 AM
loyter.

Welcome. I'm sure you will have much to contribute. Some of act like we take it more seriously than we do. Have fun...

Deeman

PQQLK9
05-19-2005, 09:58 AM
Welcome aboard, lots of good people here. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2005, 10:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> ...I started playing in a buddy's basement because it was cheap and I was poor. ...<hr /></blockquote>

I still play in my basement for that very reason.

houseman
05-19-2005, 11:12 AM
A big welcome from the houseman, I lurked here for a two years before I ever said a thing. Enjoy and have fun.

Scott Lee
05-19-2005, 11:23 AM
loyter...Welcome to the CCB! There are plenty of excellent poolplayers in SLC. To my knowledge, Ace Brown is the top local dog. Mark Tadd would also qualify, but he plays mostly poker now, instead of pool. Also, Surfer Rod Curry is still hangin' out in that area too. I have several students in the SLC area, and come through there fairly regularly.

Scott Lee

loyter
05-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I have met Ace, he is top flight. Also, there's Tommy Baker and Shane Miurbrook, who are great shooters.

I am getting close, but I am not quite on that level yet.

Gayle in MD
05-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Welcome to CCB /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in Md.

Stretch
05-19-2005, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> I am a brand new member. I have read through some of the threads, and I see that many of you are very serious about this stuff.

Brief bio: I started playing in the mid-80's in a buddy's basement because it was cheap and I was poor. I later played leagues for 2 seasons, but really didn't care much for it. (too structured, not enough games.) Then I fell away from the game for several years, but recently (a year ago) started playing local tournaments. I love tournament play, with its pressure and competition.

I have now become sort of a big fish in that little weekly pond and I would like to start playing with some of the better players/bigger tournaments. (I live in Salt Lake City)

I am hoping that I will learn something useful hanging around this board. Maybe, just maybe, I'll have something to contribute as well.

loyter <hr /></blockquote>

Welcome loyter. Chime in whenever you wish, and enjoy mineing for the nuggets. St.

Brian in VA
05-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Welcome loyter!
I spent a little time on business in SLC some years ago but never played any pool. It's a beautiful area for someone from VA. The people on this board are top notch and will make anyone feel welcome. They did me!

Brian in VA

Nightstalker
05-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Welcome to the CCB! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pooltchr
05-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the CCB! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

cueball1950
05-19-2005, 09:30 PM
welcome to the "WORLDS FINEST" pool discussion board. Sit back relax put your feet up and have a beer, and you are welcome to come join us in Sept. at the U.S. Open for our own little U S Open tournament called the CCB tournament at the Open. so come meet some friends and enjoy....mike

Wally_in_Cincy
05-20-2005, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> ...our own little U S Open tournament called the CCB tournament at the Open. ...<hr /></blockquote>

The Dave Syrja Memorial CCB Tournament I think it is called now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Billy_Bob
05-20-2005, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loyter:</font><hr> I have now become sort of a big fish in that little weekly pond and I would like to start playing with some of the better players/bigger tournaments. (I live in Salt Lake City) <hr /></blockquote>

I've done this recently. I frequently get into the money in the small local tournaments and have become accustomed to winning.

So then I started playing in tournaments with better players and will frequently go two and out. This is really hard on my ego.

It is really weird being a top player, "one of the players everyone tries to knock out of the tournament", at local tournaments, then going to a tournament with better players and being the "worst" player there. I feel like I am really out of my league. And feel that these guys must think it is silly for me to be there, etc.

Well after months and months of being beat-up (quite severely), frequently going two and out or just winning one game of one match, lo and behold... One night I managed to take 4th! I really had to battle to get there. At that point I was exhausted, so continuing on was just not in me. (Lost next game missing easy shots - just too pooped from previous protracted safety battle!)

I surprised myself though. (The next week these guys were "after me" and I went two and out again.)

The funny thing is that I look forward to the tournaments with the better players the most. Even though I'm always getting thrashed. I guess I like an impossible challenge! (And these guys are teaching me a lot of new tricks. I watch how they beat me and learn.)