PDA

View Full Version : Stolen cues

szambushka
05-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Upon reading the recent threads about stolen cues, Joe in Vegas, Scott Lee etc.. I find it fascinating. I had a cue stolen from a "friend" a long time ago.

Do people usually get insurance on their cues? What constitutes right of ownership? Does the individual have a reciept? I think legally a police report doesn't prove ownership, since anyone can file one. What about the possibility of someone getting sellers remorse OR selling the cue and then getting the insurance money after reporting it stolen. I mean I would find it troubling if a person had a "history" of getting cues stolen, that would send up a red flag.

Szammy

Wally_in_Cincy
05-20-2005, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote szambushka:</font><hr> I would find it troubling if a person had a "history" of getting cues stolen, that would send up a red flag.

Szammy <hr /></blockquote>

If a person turned in a claim for a stolen cue more than once the insurance co. would drop them like a hot potato.

Barbara
05-20-2005, 08:11 AM
This is a good question.

I have a copy of the shop order from Barry when we sat down and drew up my cue 9 years ago. It has my name and info on it so unless there is magical twin to my cue out there, I believe I could pretty much claim ownership of it if (God forbid) it was stolen from me.

Barbara~~~knocking on wood this shall NEVER happen...

SpiderMan
05-20-2005, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote szambushka:</font><hr> Upon reading the recent threads about stolen cues, Joe in Vegas, Scott Lee etc.. I find it fascinating. I had a cue stolen from a "friend" a long time ago.

Careful - Your "friend" might be reading this, and he'll find out you "had his cue stolen".

SpiderMan

szambushka
05-20-2005, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote szambushka:</font><hr> Upon reading the recent threads about stolen cues, Joe in Vegas, Scott Lee etc.. I find it fascinating. I had a cue stolen from a "friend" a long time ago.

Careful - Your "friend" might be reading this, and he'll find out you "had his cue stolen".

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

LOL What I meant to say was a friend, or exfriend, of mine stole a cue I had..

Szammy

Deeman2
05-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Szambuska,

If you cue is one of a kind and you locate it, there is a group of us on here who will retreive it for you. We are all over 6'2" and 250 lbs. and are mostly silver backed males. If it was a Meucci, we'll just give you one of ours... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman

szambushka
05-20-2005, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Szambuska,

If you cue is one of a kind and you locate it, there is a group of us on here who will retreive it for you. We are all over 6'2" and 250 lbs. and are mostly silver backed males. If it was a Meucci, we'll just give you one of ours... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

LOL..

Scott Lee
05-20-2005, 10:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote szambushka:</font><hr> Upon reading the recent threads about stolen cues, Joe in Vegas, Scott Lee etc.. I find it fascinating. I had a cue stolen from a "friend" a long time ago.

Do people usually get insurance on their cues? What constitutes right of ownership? Does the individual have a reciept? I think legally a police report doesn't prove ownership, since anyone can file one. What about the possibility of someone getting sellers remorse OR selling the cue and then getting the insurance money after reporting it stolen. I mean I would find it troubling if a person had a "history" of getting cues stolen, that would send up a red flag.

Szammy...I first took out insurance on my cues, when I had my first custom cue design made for me by Bill Stroud. At the time, I had a collection of cues that included Josswest, Balabushka, Ginacue, Rambow, and a few others. When you have personal property that is valuable, most normal people attach it to their insurance policies, via riders (just like people do for jewelry).

In my 34 years of being a poolplayer, I have had a total of 3 cues stolen...a VERY early Meucci (1971, before he even put his name on his cues), an expensive custom Josswest, and the Ginacue. I got the Meucci back, after seeing someone in my town playing with the cue, and calling the cops. I never got the Josswest back...and I "found" the Gina last year, 13 years after it was stolen from me. So, actually, that in itself, gives me hope that I might someday find the Joss too (it was my own design, something that I waited 12 years to get, and as such, will always be close to my heart /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif)!

FYI, the police report DOES prove ownership, but it was only one of FOUR distinct forms of "proof" that I have.
Added together, they incontrivertably prove that the cue belongs to me.

Scott Lee

Popcorn
05-20-2005, 11:07 AM
I had a cue stolen from my car and it was covered by my homeowner insurance. When I filed the claim I had to get a letter from the maker attesting to its value. What was funny was, the insurance adjuster balked at my original claim to the value. When I got the letter from the cue maker putting it's current value almost twice what I had put it at, he was quick to give me what I had originally claimed and I accepted it.

Morrolan
05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
OK, I know they're not super high-end, but here is where I can see an advantage to Joss putting a unique serial number on the joint of all their production cues. It certainly makes your cue identifiable, assuming it isn't immediately filed off after a theft.

szambushka
05-20-2005, 04:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>
FYI, the police report DOES prove ownership, but it was only one of FOUR distinct forms of "proof" that I have.
Added together, they incontrivertably prove that the cue belongs to me.

Scott Lee
<hr /></blockquote>

Scott,
False police reports are illegal and they are filed quite often. Thats why it cannot be considered proof of ownership.
But its good you have it, along with whatever other documents you have. Hopefully reciepts and or photos are always good

Szammy

Popcorn
05-20-2005, 05:18 PM
Proof of the original ownership as well as proof of the theft would be the primary things needed. This will be decided by a judge or arbitrator and that would be what they will be looking at. All the other detail will be worked out after they decide who now owns the cue. I would suspect Scott would get his cue back lock-stock-and barrel. Especially since the current owner is a professional and It would be his responsibility to not buy stolen property. He would have to recover his loss from the person who sold it to him and I would think he better be able to produce that information. He may also be exposing himself to an examination of the rest of his collection for documentation of where the cues came from. He could even be exposed to his books being examined and possible tax problems since much of what he probably does may be off the books and in cash at trade shows and the such. Much trouble could be caused for him by this.

Scott Lee
05-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Popcorn...Exactly! That's why it's so hard for me to believe Mark K. is being so pig-headed about this whole thing. To ANY reasonable person, when they heard my story, and it MATCHED with how they got the cue, described to a T, what kind and color of case it came with, and other details that were more than just "coincidence", you'd think they would WANT to do the right thing, whether they were required to or not...especially being the cue sales and collecting biz. The potential damage to Mark's reputation over one single cue that is quite obviousl mine, even though he had it as long as I did, seems like a huge risk.
Maybe he doesn't care. He has a cue collection worth hundreds of thousands of dollars...this is just ONE cue!
Like you said...a judge will decide!

Anybody wanna make a side bet as to who gets the cue? LOL

Scott Lee

Fran Crimi
05-20-2005, 08:49 PM
I'll tell ya, Barbara, it's a horrible feeling when you first realize your cue has been stolen. I had just finished paying the time at Chelsea one night. It was late and I was tired and not paying attention. I turned around to walk back two steps to the table to pick up my cue case and it was gone. I was sick. I immediately alerted the houseman and I searched the whole room for a half hour. Even searched the bathrooms. Nothing. I was getting a strange reaction from the houseman. He was kind of watching me with amusement. I was furious that he thought it was so funny. A crowd was gathering at the front desk and they were all pointing at me. I thought, great, I'm the entertainment for the evening. I couldn't believe that not one of them made any attempt to help me look.

Finally in frustration and anger I went up to the group and started yelling at them for staring at me like I was some kind of freak show. Then one of the group said to the houseman, "Should we tell her?" The houseman said, "I was gonna wait another ten minutes but I guess you can tell her now."

WHAT?? TELL ME WHAT??

That my cue was hanging on my shoulder the whole time.

Cripes.

I guess that's when you know you're a pool player. When your cue becomes a body part.

Fran

ceebee
05-20-2005, 10:32 PM
I like to have my GREAT Cues marked permanently. John Parker of Auerbach Custom Cues engraves my name under the wrap, fills it with a metallic epoxy during the development stage &amp; wraps it. It can be x-rayed to see the name without destroying the wrap. He then issues me a "Certificate of Authenticity" with a picture &amp; a full description.

John is now doing something special for high-end cues, so the proud owner has some concrete evidence of the cue's true owner. If the original owner sells the cue, the "Certificate of Authenticity" can be transferred.

SPetty
05-20-2005, 11:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> That my cue was hanging on my shoulder the whole time.

Cripes.<hr /></blockquote>HAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm sitting in my hotel room by myself with tears in my eyes laughing out loud at this story. That's FUNNY! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Scott Lee
05-21-2005, 12:31 AM
ceebee...What a great idea, to be able to see you engraved name, without having to take the wrap off! I like that!

Scott

Barbara
05-21-2005, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> That my cue was hanging on my shoulder the whole time.

Cripes.

I guess that's when you know you're a pool player. When your cue becomes a body part.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

LMAO!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Barbara

Cane
05-21-2005, 07:08 AM
geez Fran, are you sure we aren't distant relatives. I was telling Billie, my GF about your cue misplacement this morning... we both had a good laugh at your expense. Well, after telling her, I starting bitching... "what in the hell did I do with my coffee?" (coffee in a cup I got at Petty Point, btw). I'm looking &amp; nagging and Billie is laughing. I'm carrying it in my right hand, looking for it. Billie wouldn't allow me to not post this after laughing at you... said she was going to check the board and make sure I blew myself in.

Later,
Bob

Fran Crimi
05-21-2005, 09:13 AM
HAHAHAHA! That is TOO funny, Bob. Welcome to the club. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran