PDA

View Full Version : why, just why?

sack316
05-20-2005, 08:31 AM
the other night me and my gal were out practicing some, and I notice a friend of mine walking over to a group playing a few tables over (which was about 6 tables away from where he was playing). I see him grab a cue from the guys hand and say, "that's not a house stick" and walk away. The other guy simply says, "but I liked it" and laughed. OK, maybe a mistake with a friendly joke, but still I laugh a bit because it obviously was not a house stick. So the guy goes looking for another cue, and goes straight to where my friend was playing and starts rolling his break stick on the table. My buddy immediately notices and nicely says "that one's not a house cue either". just one of those things that makes me wonder what the crap are these people thinking?!?!

Nightstalker
05-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Tell your buddy to stop watching The Color of Money every day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
05-20-2005, 08:51 AM
I've had people walk away with my playing or jump cue several times--and they definitely don't look like house cues but bangers don't know that. They see a cue laid against the wall and they figure it's a free for all. Since I've got my beautiful Talisman case (shameless plug), I'm able to keep my cues in there while I play. I haven't had anyone confuse them for a house cue--yet--but I would be damn surprised if they thought that a cue stickiing out of a case belonged to the room.

Being that your friend had to walk 6 tables away from where he was playing to tell the banger that the cue was not a house cue, who's cue was it then? Where was the owner of the cue? The owner should be glad that someone didn't walk away with the cue.

sack316
05-20-2005, 09:01 AM
it was my friends cue that went over there to them. The guy had went all the way over there and picked it up off of the table next to my friend, where he and his opponent each had 2 cues laying on it.

Rackin_Zack
05-20-2005, 09:06 AM
I've had this happen a couple of times. Once was with my Huebler which had a cocobolo forearm with maple points, check rings and a steel joint sleeve, the second time it was with a fancy Gilbert with a leather wrap and ivory inlays...lol. Both times I had gone to the restroom and asked a friend to watch my stuff. Now I take my stuff with me to the restroom!

Popcorn
05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Why the use of terms like "Bangers". There are quite a few house cues out there that do look like two piece cues and a little nicer then the everyday house cue. I am sure there are beginning players who don't even know that players bring their own cues or think it is rare. Either way there is no need for put downs.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-20-2005, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Why the use of terms like "Bangers". There are quite a few house cues out there that do look like two piece cues and a little nicer then the everyday house cue. I am sure there are beginning players who don't even know that players bring their own cues or think it is rare. Either way there is no need for put downs. <hr /></blockquote>

That seems to be a pet peeve of yours and I can see where you're coming from. We were all bangers at some point. Plus the fact that the weekend "bangers" pay a lot of freight in a pool hall when there are 4 on a table paying $14 an hour for one table.

still you would think common sense would tell them to ask somebody before they grab a cue that is not in a wall rack.

sack316
05-20-2005, 09:34 AM
that was kinda part of the frustration and funny part at the same time that maybe I shoulda made more clear. He picked up the first one from that particular table. OK, giving benefit of the doubt and say it's a simple mistake. But then immediately after the guy takes his cue back, the other guy goes back to that exact same spot next to my friend and starts rolling the break cue.

Drop1
05-20-2005, 09:34 AM
I have two Tad cues,a Willie Hoppe signiture cue from the fifties,and a Sanpaio about thirty years old,with the ivory work on an ornate shaft. At one time or another,all of them have been walked off with. Another time a guy walked off with my ostritch Fellini case. Some people are jerks,and will steal anything they can.
Steve /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Rich R.
05-20-2005, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> I've had this happen a couple of times. Once was with my Huebler which had a cocobolo forearm with maple points, check rings and a steel joint sleeve, the second time it was with a fancy Gilbert with a leather wrap and ivory inlays...lol. <hr /></blockquote>
The next time that happens, take your cue and hit the guy on the right side of his head. Then take a house cue and hit him on the left side of his head. Then he should know the difference, between your cue and a house cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Repeat if necessary. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9 Ball Girl
05-20-2005, 11:06 AM
The times that it has happened to me, they were bangers. And, I never have and still don't think the term "bangers" is a putdown because for me, a banger is not a beginner. A banger does just that, bang the balls around so I don't see how that can be a putdown. Maybe I should've used my other word, "Yahoos".

Stretch
05-20-2005, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> that was kinda part of the frustration and funny part at the same time that maybe I shoulda made more clear. He picked up the first one from that particular table. OK, giving benefit of the doubt and say it's a simple mistake. But then immediately after the guy takes his cue back, the other guy goes back to that exact same spot next to my friend and starts rolling the break cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Ya sumthin aint right there. He must of been high on something, or he was looking for trouble. As to why? i guess you'd of had to be there. It's not unbelievable because i've bumped into a couple of people in remote locations..... that have no concept of ownership. A cue is a cue and everybody uses it. If the guy dosn't like what's available to him he'd probably expect you to share yours, NOT. For this reason i usually don't carry my gear around to a strange room. I got an 80 dollar 2 peice orchid, that i won as a door prize. If it ever walked out the door on me i'd consider it aprapeux. Or i just use whatever is available.

I've always treated other people cue's with respect. I know how much i love mine. A cue is like a man's wife. You wouldn't walk in and say "hey buddy, can i use your wife?" WHAT???...."ok then can we share her tonight?".

I don't think so. lol St.

Popcorn
05-20-2005, 11:23 AM
It's a put down. Anyone in an environment they are unfamiliar with can seem dumb, as well as someone within their comfort zone can feel superior, neither is necessarily true.

9 Ball Girl
05-20-2005, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It's a put down. Anyone in an environment they are unfamiliar with can seem dumb, as well as someone within their comfort zone can feel superior, neither is necessarily true. <hr /></blockquote>If you see the ones in the poolhalls where I go, (and they're regulars), you'll know what I mean.

sack316
05-20-2005, 12:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> It's a put down. Anyone in an environment they are unfamiliar with can seem dumb, as well as someone within their comfort zone can feel superior, neither is necessarily true. <hr /></blockquote>If you see the ones in the poolhalls where I go, (and they're regulars), you'll know what I mean. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with her here. Being in a bar or club that happens to have a pool table or 2 is one thing, but being in an actualy pool hall is something else totally... in this instance it was indeed in a pool hall

Cueless Joey
05-20-2005, 12:44 PM
A friend of mine was playing at Hard Times one night.
One gypsy walked by and grabbed his cue.
My friend yells at him, " Hey, that's my cue! ".
The obvious thief mutters, " I thought it was a house cue."
Right. A leather wrapped Judd cue as house cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nightstalker
05-20-2005, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> A friend of mine was playing at Hard Times one night.
One gypsy walked by and grabbed his cue.
My friend yells at him, " Hey, that's my cue! ".
The obvious thief mutters, " I thought it was a house cue."
Right. A leather wrapped Judd cue as house cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

What a [censored] liar. I hate thieves.

Popcorn
05-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I know what you mean but I doubt there is intent in most cases, just people out having a good time and a little lack of common sense. You see it every time you get behind the wheel of a car and wonder why. I actually had a kid sort of arrested for stealing a cue. When the group left pool room at closing the cue that was on the front table was gone. I ran outside and saw them driving away and called the cops. It was like 3 am and not a car on the road they found them right away and in like 15 minutes the cops were back at the pool room with the kids in tow. When we questioned them about the cue, it turned one of them thinking he was doing a good turn had gone around the room and put all the loose cues in the racks. Sure enough there was the cue. Some people just can't really tell one cue from another. I felt awful and gave them free pool for like the next week.

cuechick
05-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Once while playing a set with a friend at Corner Billiards some guys in suits, got on the table next to ours. One of the guys started to walk over to where our cues were resting and said,
"Hey are you guys using all of those?" with out skipping a beat I replied, 'Yeah, that's why we bought them." he took a longer look blushed a bit and went looking for a house cue.

sneakypapi
05-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Alot of the time I shoot at a local pub that has a few 9 foot tables. Almost without a doubt one of our cues will get picked up by someone. Usually, one of us will politely go up to that person and tell them it is not a house cue, mostly without any problems. When I play there I will bring a less expensive bang around cue so I don't worry as much. My friend has a few very expensive cues with his own holder, but from time to time someone will pick them up too.

People will steal anything, case in point I had a cheap magnetic chalk holder stolen from a table by my cue. What annoyed my the most was the not cost, but I was pretty certain who took it and confronted him and of course he played dumb. I was thinking of really putting the heat on but, I decided it was not worth it.

Get_A_Grip
05-22-2005, 09:36 AM
My two stories...

I bring a Brunswick two piece stick to the bars just so I have something straight with a good tip to shoot with. Linen wrap and dark stain...obviously not a house stick. One day I left it right next to our table leaning up against a pillar. Sure enough...I look up and a woman is playing with it. Instead of getting mad...since it is just a cheap stick that came with my table...I figure I would let her finish her game with it...but to keep an eye on it and get it when she was done with the game.

Sure enough...she no sooner finishes the game...and then she drops the stick. I keep watching to see if she will actually put in into the cue rack so I can go get it. Nope...turns out she works at the bar and takes it behind the counter with her. She rests it against the wall behind the bar and then goes into the back. I went behind the bar and retrieved the stick and headed out...because we were ready to leave. It turns out that the stick had two fairly big dings in it, serves me right...lol.

Another good story... I'm shoot in a large pool hall (&gt;50 tables)on a Saturday night with two friends. The place is full...guys and gals...not all serious players, just a Saturday night out for many... A gal on the table next to me shooting with a group of people asks if she can try my glove... Thinking nothinng of it, I say sure. Come to find out...it was a setup. She gives the glove to who I think was her boyfriend and he proceeds to fool around with the glove (obviously mocking me). He puts it on the last two fingers including the pinky...and shoots like that for a while... They kept looking at me to see if I was getting mad...but honestly, I thought it was the funniest thing. I waited until the joking got old and they just gave it back... So people taking or trying your equipment out...it's always in ignorance...lol.

Ives
05-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Just my thoughts here, but it shouldn't matter if a cue belongs to the house or one that someone brought in. If it's laying on a table that is obviously being used, stay away from it. If i'm playing with a house cue, than that cue is mine until i put it back in the rack. No different than a bowling ally, you don't walk up to a lane that is being used and take someones ball just because its a house ball. Common curtesy should pevail in this type of situation.

pooltchr
05-23-2005, 09:22 AM
As a general rule, I would say that the term "common courtesy" probably doesn't belong in the same sentence with the term "poolroom". /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Steve

Kato
05-23-2005, 10:20 AM
A few years ago I had a guy walk off with an 8 point Helmstetter, certainly no house cue. I simply told him that it wasn't a house cue, that was my play cue and he gave it back. Next thing we knew he was rolling around the 6 cues we had laying on the table at the time. But you know, they were on the table and not next to us.

PS. I'm officially a banger anyway. Thankfully I've got decent equipment to play terribly with /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato