PDA

View Full Version : 'Rack 'em up' best pool song ever?

02-17-2002, 02:38 PM
Jonny Lang's song 'Rack 'em up' paints a picture of a by-gone era at Jack's pool hall, with a wonderful blues shuffle, walking bass line, and some fine lead guitar work.

Everyone I've asked for their opinion agrees that this must be the best pool song ever, with most unable to even remember another one at all.

The most I've been able to remember are songs with smallish references to pool in the lyrics, but not really about pool.

The Dead have a line, 'what's the use of calling shots, if the cue's not straight in line? Cue ball's made of styrofoam, and no one's got the time.' But that's not the topic of the song.

Last night, while agreeing that Lang's song was top of the list, a guy told me of an old country western song about playing a stranger, whose shots went in like the balls had eyes, and ended up taking the singer for $180, his watch and ring and keys to his Cadillac.

Anyone know that song or anything about it, or any other songs about pool?

02-17-2002, 04:15 PM
croche, leroy brown

02-17-2002, 04:57 PM
Jim Croce's 'Bad, bad Leroy Brown' has lyrics about pool?!?!

I just remember a dice game or something. Must have just been a line or two on pool. What was the lyric there?

02-17-2002, 05:37 PM
"Steal my daddy's cue and make a livin' outta playin' pool" Rod Stewart's Maggie May, and "Dirty Pool" by Stevie Ray Vaughn

Hippie...loves music more than this new board

SPetty
02-18-2002, 10:29 AM
No, Phil, Anon meant Croce's song "You Don't Mess Around With Jim", which of course, is all about pool.