PDA

View Full Version : right side cut

Drop1
05-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Why do I have no trouble with a cut to the left,and screw up with the right side? I'm right handed. What does shoot like a girl mean?

Cane
05-20-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm sure others will chime in here, but I need to ask you something. When you miss the cuts to the right, are you missing them the same way every time? I mean do you overcut every RH cut or undercut every RH cut? If your misses are constantly fat or thin, then I'd say it's just a matter of perception and you'll have to just adjust your aim a little bit for the RH cuts. If you're missing them "all over the place" then it's hard, without seeing you play, to tell what's going on. Set up a right hand cut on a table. Don't make it too tough, just about a 30° cut to the right, maybe the OB two daimonds out of the pocket and the CB two diamonds from the OB. Mark the CB and OB position with paper hole reinforcements so you can duplicate the shot as many times as needed. Shoot the shot over and over and over and see if you're missing to the same place every time. If you are, then you're simply going to have to adjust or "calibrate" your aim for right hand cuts to correct them. After you figure out where you're missing, then you can make a slight adjustment and practice that adjustment until it's "burned in" and the problem with RH cuts will disappear.

Any other thoughts from Instructors or Players??? I'm actually interested in seeing other ideas on this... not an uncommon problem with intermediate players to cut one direction better than the other. I am VERY interested in any suggestions or solutions that anyone, player or instructor has.

Drop1: Thanks for asking this question! I think the answers to it will not only benefit you, but might benefit other players and instructors on here as well.

Oh, Shoot Like a Girl USED to be a belittlement of a players ability... not these days. I've played against many girls that I'd be proud to shoot like! I've been accused of breaking like a girl... a 6'4" 275 pound girl... (broke a cue ball once in a local bar, but I was younger and stronger then! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif )

Later,
Bob

Drop1
05-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Bob
Thanks for the reply. I miss the same way each time.

Cane
05-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Great! I don't mean great that you miss, but great that you miss the same way every time. That is, IMO, MUCH easier to fix than if you were mixing up undercutting and overcutting. Try the exercise I told you about and maybe some others will come up with some other things to help the problem.

Later,
Bob

Billy_Bob
05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
At one time, I practiced progressive cut shots - always cutting to the left. After a while, I noticed that my cuts to the left were good, but my cuts to the right were bad.

So I started practicing both. I'll alternate sides each practice session.

Stick
05-20-2005, 01:27 PM
In Volume #43 of Bert Kinisters video tapes he says states that right handed players prefer to cut to the left and visa-versa for the lefty. I am afraid he does not explain why he just says that is the way it is for most people. I would imagine that it has to do with field of vision, but I will leave that to the instructors.

BoroNut
05-20-2005, 01:31 PM
You don't cue straight. It is compensated by your bad aim cutting one way which cancels it out, but compounds itself cutting the other way. The only way to sort it is to learn to cue straight. Hit some balls dead straight - as long and straight as possible, ie corner to corner. Straight pots are the easiest of all, even long ones as long as you cue dead straight, and are the best way of telling you what’s wrong with your cue action.

See if you consistently knock the object ball to one particular side or the other, meaning your sending the cue ball off line the other way. The causes include:
1 - bad angle judgement - unlikely - it's dead straight.
2 - your cue doesn't follow your eye - very common - sort it out in a mirror checking the aim at one eye.
3 - you don't draw the cue back straight. - very common -sort it out in a mirror - shorten it.
4 - you don't follow through straight - sort it out in a mirror
5 - you don't hit the cue ball in the middle. - pay attention

Don’t grip too tight and keep your cue arm nice and relaxed like a conker on a piece of string. Try just thumb and forefinger grip and release the last three fingers on the backswing to keep the cue horizontal. In contrast keep your bridge hand rock solid.

You can do your best practice at home sorting your cueing out. Spend time with the mirror. Stand up some flat head nails in parallel rows spaced only just wider than your cue/tip. Place one nail at the end to act as the cue ball target and another dead in line 6” further on. Practice knocking both nails over without disturbing any of the others.

If you do all this and still miss, get your money back. The table is off.