PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong

Drop1
05-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Today,I missed a shot and lost the game. The object ball was sitting about one half inch from the center of the pocket right side behind the spot. The next ball was at the other end of the table about three inches from the rail,and eight inches from the pocket. I wanted to sink the object ball,and go down the table with the cue ball for position. I hit my cue ball with high right english,and it followed the object ball right into the pocket. What did I do wrong?
The cue ball was about six inches from the spot,almost a straight in shot.

Scott Lee
05-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Drop1...Sounds like you shot too straight and followed the CB in. Sometimes you have to cheat the pocket a little, when you're shooting with english, to make sure the CB catches the rail, so the english can help carry the ball up table. Why don't you post the shot on the WEI table, so we can see it?

Scott Lee

Drop1
05-20-2005, 06:58 PM
Scott,I don't know what a wei table is,or how to use it.

PQQLK9
05-20-2005, 07:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr> Scott,I don't know what a wei table is,or how to use it. <hr /></blockquote>

wei table (http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html)

Scott Lee
05-20-2005, 08:06 PM
Steve...This is a very cool site. Click on the link Nick put up, and then "drag" the balls around the table to where you want them, by holding down your mouse button. Then you copy and paste the shot into your post here on the CCB, and it shows up as a bunch of numbers and letters, that we can also copy and paste on the WEI table, so that we can see the shot, and make comments accordingly. Don't feel bad, it took me a YEAR to figure this out, and I got a lot of help from others here! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee

Scott

Drop1
05-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Got it down loaded,and will learn how to use it. I owe you guys a big thanks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nostalgia
05-21-2005, 05:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Drop1:</font><hr>I hit my cue ball with high right english,and it followed the object ball right into the pocket. What did I do wrong?<hr /></blockquote>
My guess is the English did you in. This has happened to me too many times. I assume you aimed to hit the right side of the OB, cheating the side pocket a bit. When you put right English on the CB, you probably got a bit of squirt causing the CB to go further left than you intended, causing you to hit the OB full. Scratch.

Just aim a little thinner next time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Joe

Sid_Vicious
05-21-2005, 05:35 AM
English took off on ya, squirt/swerve steered wrong, a little anxiety, i.e. choke. Any of the above things got you, but I doubt I could say without seeing it played over which one it was. You can learn from this if you find the answer. Some purely straight in long shots needing a tiny bit of redirection for mid table position after the ball drops can be made with "bending the rules" other than simply aiming to cheat the pocket, which is btw the fundamentally right way to do it IMO. You should set that shot up and hit it some more and analyze it for yourself. The answer is there somewhere...sid

Billy_Bob
05-21-2005, 06:47 AM
Practice intentionally doing what you don't want to happen.

So practice getting the cue ball to follow the object ball into the pocket. Practice this over and over. Practice using high, high right, and high left. Then practice doing this while cheating the pocket.

By learning what you need to do to get the cue ball to follow the object ball into the pocket (actually can be quite difficult), you will also learn how not to do it.

I also practice trying to scratch intentionally.

I started doing this to learn how not to do these things, but guess what? I've started learning new strategies for winning games (by playing better players). I now sometimes want to intentionally give my opponent ball-in-hand. And sometimes I play in tournaments where safeties are not allowed. So I can shoot a ball in, scratch intentionally, then my opponent has to shoot a shot which will break out the game ball or my ball.

Anyway practicing scratching intentionally can come in handy in some situations.