PDA

View Full Version : UPS Delivery Amiss Advice Please

Sid_Vicious
05-21-2005, 05:48 AM
I had a package tracked to my doorstep Friday, a pricey piece of electronics, and when I got home it was not here. I have an obvious sign in the window on my door asking drivers to tuck the package inside an outside vehicle but in this case it seeme the guy simply left it on the ground, and it walked off(my guess.) Catch22 is that the vendors business hours are over until Monday morning, so they don't even know "all's not well" and a tracer can't be initiated until then.

"What, if anything can/should be done on my part right now?" Lets assume that it did indeed get stolen by a roaming thief during the time it was dropped off and when I got home. Do these kinds of things get fixed without me being dinged for a suspected honesty question(did I steal it myself) worry from their prospective?

Waiting until Monday to have this company alerted worries me in itself. Is it too early to call the CC company for an alert pertaining to the funds?

Thanks,
Sid~~~always worried about theft of ground packages, hence my neat sign about the outside vehicle

SnakebyteXX
05-21-2005, 06:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I had a package tracked to my doorstep Friday...

<font color="blue">Sid, UPS packages can be misdelivered by the driver. The tracking system record is based on a report made by the driver. Mistakes can be made. The UPS knows this and will not make a big deal over whether the package actually got to its proper destination or not.

On more than one occasion I've had expensive computer hardware (CPU's, etc.) left on an unknown neighbor's doorstep because the driver was new and couldn't figure out which address went with which house (idiot). Luckily my neighbors were honest enough to contact me and get the package its proper destination. Meanwhile, the UPS tracking system indicated that the package had been delivered to me - NOT.

The bitch here is that problems like this need to be sorted out on the local level but when you call UPS you get some dumbphuck in Timbuctu who will take the information and promise to get to the bottom of it. They will rarely if ever give you a local contact number so that you can actually speak to someone who knows the driver and the route. This sucks. You may be best served to wait until Monday morning and then go directly to the local delivery center to get your problem resolved.

Now for the bad news. Unless you pay extra, normal UPS shipments are only insured for up to $100. If the package has been lost and you only had it insured for the minimum - that's the most you can expect to be compensated for your loss.</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
05-21-2005, 06:16 AM
"Now for the bad news. Unless you pay extra, normal UPS shipments are only insured for up to $100. If the package has been lost and you only had it insured for the minimum - that's the most you can expect to be compensated for your loss."

This issue was not in my control, the vendor woulda had to have insured it themselves. Am I liable for their lack of foresight? sid

SnakebyteXX
05-21-2005, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>
This issue was not in my control, the vendor woulda had to have insured it themselves. Am I liable for their lack of foresight? sid
<hr /></blockquote>

Sid - vendor/shippers will sometimes pay for extra insurance on shipped packages as a hedge against loss from damage during shipping. UPS is notorious for claiming 'insufficient packaging' as the reason that the contents of the package you've sent got destroyed after being dropped several feet from ten different conveyor belts and used as a step stool to reach other packages by one of their drivers. They will rarely if ever acknowledge that shipping damage is due to their mishandling of packages.

You should check with the vendor to find out how much extra insurance coverage (if any) was built into the cost of the missing shipment.

LARRY_BOY
05-22-2005, 12:58 PM
99% of the time UPS does an excellant job, unfortuanly they are human. I once had a package delivered to the wrong address and once one was damaged. Be patiant as the "tracing process" will take 4 to 5 weeks. I know this seems like an eteranity but trust me there is nothing you can do but wait.....good luck! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rip
05-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Sid,
It's actually very simple and you are not at risk assuming you paid with plastic. If the merchandise is not RECEIVED by you in a reasonable length of time, notify your credit card company and let them know you want to dispute the charge for "non-receipt of merchandise". They will put the amount of the charge in suspense and give the merchant ample time to respond and/or resolve the problem. If the merchant cannot provide a signed Acknowledgement of Delivery signed by yourself, the cc company will rule in your favor and issue a permanent credit to your account for the amount.
Don't flip out as you have several months to dispute the charge.
Regards,
Rip

Sid_Vicious
05-22-2005, 06:09 PM
A neighbor did bring it yesterday y'all...sid