PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Prime time! The Palmer Collector

tateuts
05-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Well, maybe I am, maybe I'm not - you tell me!

I've been working hard on a site for Palmer cue collectors. I have sections on the first 3 catalogs as well as PB and PM catalogs and old Palmer cases.

It takes a while to look through the site. There are detailed photos of the models I have. In the 2nd Catalog section there is a spread on Dick Leonard's Model J(####).

I plan to also offer sections on Fellini, George, Jay Flowers and Centennial Cases, as well as work by Jack Justis and Dennis Swift.

Please let me know what you think!

Chris

www.palmercollector.com (http://www.palmercollector.com)

DickLeonard
05-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Chris For my money there was no one better than Petey Balner
the only thing was Pete was getting to big to do the cues and the business part of the cue business. I asked if he could make me a Balabuska style cue with the ebony butt and he said no problem, I sell him all his parts I'll use my joint so it will not look like Georges work. That was 30+
years and I am still using that cue. If my memory serves me Pete was driving a Bentley then.

I had a Willie Hoppe butt that Pete made two 14 mil shafts for. I never noticed any deflection with those shafts.####

tateuts
05-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Dick,

I really appreciate your help with the information you already gave and anything you can help with.

Here's Dick's Page:

Dick leonard's Model J (http://www.palmercollector.com/ModelJ.html)

For everyone else, here's a sample - this is a good page about the Model 20, Palmer's most unbelievable cue.

Palmer Model 20. Who's your mama? (http://www.palmercollector.com/Model20ThirdCatPage.html)

Chris

DickLeonard
05-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Chris I let my daughter take that cue to the Univ of Buffalo for most of her first 4 years there, then the cues started going up in value and she didn't think it was safe there any more.####

Leviathan
05-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Nice job, Chris. Now I understand why people are interested in Palmers!--AS

Scott Lee
05-21-2005, 07:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Chris For my money there was no one better than Petey Balner
the only thing was Pete was getting to big to do the cues and the business part of the cue business. I asked if he could make me a Balabuska style cue with the ebony butt and he said no problem, I sell him all his parts I'll use my joint so it will not look like Georges work. That was 30+
years and I am still using that cue. If my memory serves me Pete was driving a Bentley then.

I had a Willie Hoppe butt that Pete made two 14 mil shafts for. I never noticed any deflection with those shafts.#### <hr /></blockquote>

Dick...IIRC, didn't Pete do very little cue work in the shop himself? Gene and his wife did most of it, until Gene died, and then I thought another relative continued working in the shop with his wife. Pete went into the video business in his mid-20's, with Pete Margo, and made a fortune. I'm sure they made some money when they sold the Palmer name to a chinese company, and Pete did try to stay in the pool biz, but not very deep. In the 90's he was a part owner of Mali, but sold out after just a couple of years. He made $100 million when he sold his video rental company.

Scott Lee

randyg
05-23-2005, 05:41 AM
Hi Chris.

What a great idea. What a great website. Later on we will talk about the largest Palmer Collection ever....Thanks,randyg

tateuts
05-23-2005, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Hi Chris.

What a great idea. What a great website. Later on we will talk about the largest Palmer Collection ever....Thanks,randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Randy,

I've heard that you have a nice collection, and I know Rick G. has one too. Whatever you can contribute in the way of information, history, etc. will be highly appreciated. I am digging up more and more stuff as I go. I'll get ahold of Rick G. at some point.

Chris