PDA

View Full Version : Police investigate pool hall shooting

PQQLK9
05-22-2005, 07:00 AM
http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/L_IMAGE.fdd2bae839.93.88.fa.7c.499131d.jpg
Rack Runners Pool Hall on North Tryon Street

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police are investigating a murder at a north Charlotte pool hall.

Shots were fired early Sunday morning inside Rack Runners Pool Hall on North Tryon Street. When police arrived, scores of people were inside, and a victim lay dead on the floor with gunshot wounds.

"It's kind of unexpectable," said frequent patron Terrell Carter. "The last couple times I've been up there, it's been mellow out, and sometimes it gets all rowdy."

No one else was hurt. Detectives are still questioning witnesses.
The TV report indicated that two others were shot and treated at a local hospital.
This is the second murder in less than a year inside the Pool Room (7/04) and the third in this strip mall (03).

ABC officials are considering revoking the liquor license.

"why can't we all get along" ... Rodney King web page (http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/071804ccjrwcncpoolhallshooting.2338e17.html)

PQQLK9
05-22-2005, 09:15 AM
1 dead, 2 taken to hospital after shooting

08:43 AM EDT on Sunday, May 22, 2005

By Nicole Konkal / 6NEWS

An early morning shooting in northeast Charlotte left one person dead and sent two others to the hospital.

The shooting happened on north Tryon Street just before 2 a.m. Sunday.

Police were at the scene at the time of this writing.

More information will be released as it becomes available.

Scott Lee
05-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Nick...Remind me NOT to do any more lessons in that place! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott

PQQLK9
05-22-2005, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Nick...Remind me NOT to do any more lessons in that place! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Scott, sadly its gotten pretty bad. I don't know who the victims were and I feel for them.

Mark (the owner) is such a nice guy and does not deserve this.

I never go there at night.

sneakypapi
05-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Maybe its time to invest in metal detectors and some security?

pooltchr
05-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Nick,
I agree it's a bad situation, but it's not the first shooting up there. That's getting to be a pretty rough neighborhood. The ABC Commission is investigating, and may pull his license. And not to make light of this at all, but I think the city would be better served controlling the guns that get into pool rooms rather than the cigarettes that get in. I think it should be a much higher priority, but then, this is Charlotte!
There are only 3 rooms in the city I will go to anymore, Rack 'em, Smokin' Cue and the Green Room. The only shooting I want to be around is the kind you do with a cue stick!
Steve

PQQLK9
05-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Posted on Mon, May. 23, 2005

2nd fatal shooting at pool hall investigated

Man, 25, killed, and 2 others injured just before closing time

KYTJA WEIR

Staff Writer

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police investigated a fatal shooting at a pool hall Sunday morning, the second homicide there in less than a year.

Police said they were called to the Rack Runners Sports Bar &amp; Billiards club in the Northgate shopping center at 6701 N. Tryon Street near Tom Hunter Road about 15 minutes before the bar's scheduled closing time of 2 a.m.

When police arrived, Samuel Omar Brown Jr., 25, was dead. Two others were taken to Carolinas Medical Center, police said. One was released later in the day, they said, and the other was also expected to survive.

Brown has a lengthy criminal record in Mecklenburg County, court records show. The record includes convictions for breaking into vehicles, larceny and violating parole.

In July, a similar shooting occurred at Rack Runners on a Sunday morning, just before closing time. Calvin Harvey, 27, died from gunshot wounds.

Police do not believe the two cases are related.

Despite the pair of deadly shootings, some neighbors of the business said they haven't had problems with the pool hall.

Brian Lord, who runs a barber shop a few doors down, said the club attracts neighborhood folks, including senior citizens who come for the free pool.

"It's just a few people who mess it up for everybody else," Lord said.

By Sunday afternoon, no signs of the shooting remained outside the bar except for a handwritten sign posted to the door: "Due to circumstances, we will re-open soon. Sorry for the inconvenience."

It's not clear what the two slayings will mean for the bar, which allows members to bring guests.

Officers with the N.C. Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission visited there Sunday to investigate the case, said police Capt. Sean Mulhall. The commission's records show the bar has three active alcohol permits, all issued in 2000.

No one had been arrested in the homicide as of Sunday night, Mulhall said. The homicide captain would not discuss a motive in the case.

The shooting was the 26th homicide police have investigated so far in 2005, he said. At this time last year, they had investigated 18, records show.

Have a Tip?

Police ask anyone with information about the shooting to call Crime Stoppers at (704) 334-1600. Tipsters may be eligible for cash rewards up to $1,000.
Kytja Weir: (704) 358-5934; kweir@charlotteobserver.com

DvB
05-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Did "frequent patron" Terrell Carter really say the word "unexpectable"? Man oh man. I'm not sure what's worse for pool's image: another pool-hall shooting, or a quote from someone like Mr. Carter.

onepocketchump
05-24-2005, 10:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DvB:</font><hr> Did "frequent patron" Terrell Carter really say the word "unexpectable"? Man oh man. I'm not sure what's worse for pool's image: another pool-hall shooting, or a quote from someone like Mr. Carter. <hr /></blockquote>

Not any worse than describing Gerda Hofstatter as "revivified" in this month's Pool and Billiard Magazine.

John

DvB
05-24-2005, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DvB:</font><hr> Did "frequent patron" Terrell Carter really say the word "unexpectable"? Man oh man. I'm not sure what's worse for pool's image: another pool-hall shooting, or a quote from someone like Mr. Carter. <hr /></blockquote>

Not any worse than describing Gerda Hofstatter as "revivified" in this month's Pool and Billiard Magazine.

John <hr /></blockquote>

Well, maybe it's worse. After all, English ISN'T Ms. Hofstatter's first language. English is -- ostensibly -- Mr. Carter's first language.

catscradle
05-24-2005, 12:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DvB:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DvB:</font><hr> Did "frequent patron" Terrell Carter really say the word "unexpectable"? Man oh man. I'm not sure what's worse for pool's image: another pool-hall shooting, or a quote from someone like Mr. Carter. <hr /></blockquote>

John <hr /></blockquote>

Well, maybe it's worse. After all, English ISN'T Ms. Hofstatter's first language. English is -- ostensibly -- Mr. Carter's first language. <hr /></blockquote>

... but I don't think it was Gerda that used it, but the person writing the article, which is a different story.

DvB
05-24-2005, 01:21 PM
You're right -- that IS worse.