PDA

View Full Version : Fellini, Palmer, It's George Cases

tateuts
05-22-2005, 11:14 PM
I just added a collectible case section to my new Palmer Collector web-site covering Fellini, Palmer, and It's George cases. There is a lot of material there, brochures, ads, photos, etc.

The Palmer Collector (http://www.palmercollector.com)

Next up when I get some time will be Centennial and Jay Flowers and other tooled cases.

If anybody would like to contribute photos, ads, brochures, or other information, it would be appreciated.

Chris

Popcorn
05-23-2005, 08:32 AM
I would love to contribute. Do you have a Jay Flowers case? I have one around here somewhere and can send some pictures. Jay was a good friend of mine, I don't know if he is still alive.

tateuts
05-23-2005, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would love to contribute. Do you have a Jay Flowers case? I have one around here somewhere and can send some pictures. Jay was a good friend of mine, I don't know if he is still alive. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn,

That would be truly appreciated. Any stories you can give me about Jay would be helpful. The more detail you recall, years and dates, etc., what he was like, his shop, his career, whatever you got.

I have three of his cases, a 2X4 and 2 1X2's. These all have different tooling designs and they are natural in color. My cases (unfortunately) are all his later years cases and are new or in like new condition. Two were unsold stock when a pool room closed down and the one used one looks and feels like it was made yesterday. The reason why I say unfortunate is because these were made toward the end of his career and I would like to find some examples of his early work.

You can see from these cases how refined his work became. He was a top notch leather crafter. The 2 X 4 is really nice. The leather is the softest natural tooling leather I've ever owned.

I am going to put all the hand-tooled cases in one section, with pages devoted to Jay Flowers, Jack Justis, Dennis Swift, and Joe Porper.

I am trying to document these case makers so their stories won't be lost in the future.

Chris

Voodoo Daddy
05-23-2005, 09:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would love to contribute. Do you have a Jay Flowers case? I have one around here somewhere and can send some pictures. Jay was a good friend of mine, I don't know if he is still alive. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn, Jay passed several years ago.

nshahan
05-23-2005, 01:07 PM
Good cases

Eric.
05-23-2005, 02:22 PM
Nice looking site. My friend has an early 70's(?) Palmer. I'll try to get a pic and send it over.

Eric

tateuts
05-24-2005, 07:01 AM

The Jay Flowers pics are posted now here:

http://www.palmercollector.com/TooledCases.html (http://www.palmercollector.com/TooledCases.html)

As it turns out I struck out on biographical information on him. So whatever help you can give wil be most welcome.

Chris

Ps. I tried your old e-mail address I had and it didn't work.

tateuts
05-24-2005, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Nice looking site. My friend has an early 70's(?) Palmer. I'll try to get a pic and send it over.

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Eric!

Popcorn
05-24-2005, 07:41 AM
I will just say, you didn't want him as an enemy, and I mean that in the strictest sense of the word. I heard he had changed later in life, maybe he got religion or something. I believe he learned leather crafting while a guest of the state. I am not 100% sure but, he may have built the first jump break cues. After designing it he had them made for him by Hubler. You could do some research by calling Hubler. Is Paul Hubler still alive, if he is he could tell you something.

tateuts
05-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Do you know what approximate years he was selling cases, the approximate cost of the cases, and where he was located?

I believe all my cases are from the mid to late 1980's and he stopped making them somewhere in the late 1980's.

Chris

Popcorn
05-24-2005, 09:53 AM
He was from the Tampa area. A lot of people knew him, whether they will talk about him is up to them. You could call Bakers billiards in Tampa and maybe get some info. You could also call C.M. Lee at C.M's Place in Seminole Florida he may give you some info or steer you to someone. I think he had a daughter if I remember right. He used to drive a small motor home and had a very nice wife and a little dog he would bring in the pool room. I would say the early 80's he made the cases. I first met him in 1976 I was putting on a tournament and he came. I used to take pictures and I am sure I have a picture of him around somewhere. He played pretty good by the way.

tateuts
05-24-2005, 12:18 PM
Paul Huebler is still alive and last I checked he was still working - I ordered some cases from him maybe six months ago and I think he made them himself. I'll give him a buzz and call a few other people you suggested.

I would like to try to find an ad or catalog on Jay Flowers. I guess he didn't believe in advertsing. I've scanned a bunch of old magazines and couldn't find anything on him.

Chris

Popcorn
05-24-2005, 01:12 PM
I have some of his ad's. They were funny he used to say something, "With loving care will last a life time" or something like that. He used to put adds in the Billiard news. My scanner doesn't work but I will take a picture and post it so you can see it.

Popcorn
05-24-2005, 03:37 PM
I have the information for you I will PM you.

tateuts
05-24-2005, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I have some of his ad's. They were funny he used to say something, "With loving care will last a life time" or something like that. He used to put adds in the Billiard news. My scanner doesn't work but I will take a picture and post it so you can see it. <hr /></blockquote>

Thank you - that would be great to have a photo of the ads.

Popcorn
05-25-2005, 01:16 AM
I found three different ad's running from 1985 to 1993

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid170/pc429e2f9a138ac598dc266d196dae731/f3fc8ed1.jpg

I blocker the contact info.

tateuts
05-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks Popcorn, big help - it's on the site.

Chris

tateuts
05-25-2005, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would love to contribute. Do you have a Jay Flowers case? I have one around here somewhere and can send some pictures. Jay was a good friend of mine, I don't know if he is still alive. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn, Jay passed several years ago. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, I just found out that he's still alive but he's been battling illness.

Chris