PDA

View Full Version : Growining up in small town with lots of abilty

05-23-2005, 09:07 AM
I come from a small town with 150.000 people,I've always loved playing Billiards,meaning 8 ball-9 ball,snooker.I have won all titles in my community at one time or another,traveled within Canada,played in nationals,but never finished that well,finished well in alantic Canada on a few occasions.I have finely made the move to get out of my town and start the process of being able to compete at world class level.I know i have a long way to go,I'm still in ONT,Canada.I'm working to support myself and make my dream come true.I believe in myself and my ability at the table,but as you all know,we need the experience or competion to make this happen.This road I'm on feels very overwhelming today, not very many friends up here yet,and sometimes very hard to make them. Just thought I would throw that out ther and see if anybody can relate or share their experience with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="red"> </font color> <font color="red"> </font color>

BoroNut
05-23-2005, 11:35 AM
The important thing is not to let it get you down. I know that it can seem like life has dealt you a bum hand, but you've got to grin and bear it. Remember, quite a few other people are from Canada too. I saw someone on the news last night who was from Afghanistan. How crap must that be? In some respects it's even worse there.

Boro Nut

Deeman2
05-23-2005, 12:45 PM
Boronut,

I agree with you, 123 has to overcome that Canadian thing. Most outgrow it but I do think you took an unfair shot at Afghanistan by making the Canada comparison. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

NH_Steve
05-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Good for you! I believe you have get into action with players that can really challenge you in order to push ahead to the next level. Big fish in small ponds get stuck -- and become in fact the over confident 'short stops' that qualified road players are happy to feed on /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's why for years so many great players have come out of the great 'player rooms' like Hard Times in CA (Cochran's before that), Chris's in Chicago (Bensingers before that), etc, etc.

If you truly have the natural ability, immersing yourself in that kind of competitive environment will bring it out -- staying at home will not, IMHO.

Stretch
05-23-2005, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Boronut,

I agree with you, 123 has to overcome that Canadian thing. Most outgrow it but I do think you took an unfair shot at Afghanistan by making the Canada comparison. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

That's ok Dee, we can take it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif but what's this about a Canadian thing and most out grow it? Tell you what, i'll grow out of the Canadian thing when you grow out of the American thing. lol St. ~~thing swinging~~

hawk
05-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Hey Boronut, no need to respond here.If we need an opinion from England we'll just ask GWB.

Dee , I've read in other post how you don't care what other people think, if that is really true why do you always work so hard at reinforcing your A-hole reputation?.

BoroNut
05-24-2005, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hawk:</font><hr> Hey Boronut, no need to respond here.If we need an opinion from England we'll just ask GWB.<hr /></blockquote>

I think you need a few lessons from Stretch on how to respond to the sort of bollocks I spout. You just draw attention to you totall lack of eduction - especially by making no attempt to spell Goerge W Bush!

Boro Nut

rukiddingme
05-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Goerge is sutch a nowledgeabel uhhhhh good ole bouy...a fine perisident of the Planet eaerth...lloll
ruk

BoroNut
05-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Yeah well, it was worth a try.

Maybe I wasn't being subtle though. Maybe it was a genuine mistake. Or maybe, just maybe, I might happen to have his signed autograph.

Boro Nut

Deeman2
05-24-2005, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> That's ok Dee, we can take it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif but what's this about a Canadian thing and most out grow it? Tell you what, i'll grow out of the Canadian thing when you grow out of the American thing. lol St. ~~thing swinging~~ <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Stretch,

You know I love Canada. I made the response as it just sounded like it needed that type os remark. I knew you knew what i was saying. It went over some of these guys heads I guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

I think we should both swap our citizenship about now. Maybe Afghanistan ain't so bad...

Deeman
Oh Canada....

Deeman2
05-24-2005, 01:12 PM
Dee , I've read in other post how you don't care what other people think, if that is really true why do you always work so hard at reinforcing your A-hole reputation?. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">
Hawk,

Lighten up. Gee, a guyed named Hawk reads a couple of non-pool related posts and he thinks he knows you. Just because I don't care what France and Germany think, doesn't mean I don't want a stand up Canadian guy like yourself to have the best opinion of me!

I love Canada. It provides a vista from our Northern border, it give refuge to the criminals among us. It has great fresh snow. Gee, I like it. I have never voted to Nuke Canada despite the rumors (and the t-shirt). Ask anyone, I love frozen tundra.

Yes, I cultivate my A-Hole reputation but I'm normally not that way at all. Just taking up the slack for a fellow poster who is on recluse right now...When he gets back and I reach 1125 posts, I'll settle back down.</font color>

Deeman
wonder if he's hostile or snikering....

Deeman2
05-24-2005, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BoroNut:</font><hr> Yeah well, it was worth a try. <font color="blue">
Boronut,
Don't make me and Strech come over there and rough you up. </font color>

Maybe I wasn't being subtle though. Maybe it was a genuine mistake. Or maybe, just maybe, I might happen to have his signed autograph. <font color="blue"> Maybe it's that dry British wit. But again, you may have a real autograph!

Deeman</font color>

Boro Nut <hr /></blockquote>

hawk
05-24-2005, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BoroNut:</font><hr>
I might happen to have his signed autograph.

Did he spell his name correctly? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif(like Dee said," This seemed like it needed a comment", so don't get your knickers in a knot. I'm only kidding. God save the Queen!

Stretch
05-24-2005, 03:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hawk:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BoroNut:</font><hr>
I might happen to have his signed autograph.

Did he spell his name correctly? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif(like Dee said," This seemed like it needed a comment", so don't get your knickers in a knot. I'm only kidding. God save the Queen! <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Dee. I knew you were kidding, and despite my sometimes obtuseness i still manage to laugh at myself as well as the frozen north. And i'm the first to say the USA is my favorite foreign country. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St. ~~glad he lives away from it all....now back to drawing water and hewing wood~~

hawk
05-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Dee , I've read in other post how you don't care what other people think, if that is really true why do you always work so hard at reinforcing your A-hole reputation?.
Hawk <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

<font color="red"> I have to apoligize for this, it is obvious you don't have to work very hard. </font color>

<font color="blue"> Lighten up. Gee, a guyed named Hawk reads a couple of non-pool related posts and he thinks he knows you. Just because I don't care what France and Germany think, doesn't mean I don't want a stand up Canadian guy like yourself to have the best opinion of me! </font color>

<font color="red"> I could concede this point. I literally read this thread right after watching coverage of a very somber and appreciated memorial at Fort Campbell Kentucky, honoring Canadian soldiers KIA in Afghanistan, who were there in support of our American friends. Still I thought you of all people would see a little humor in my reply.</font color>

<font color="blue">I love Canada.</font color> <font color="red">...Me too... </font color> <font color="blue"> It provides a vista from our Northern border</font color> <font color="red">...look but don't touch... </font color>. <font color="blue">it give refuge to the criminals among us.</font color> <font color="red">...Your welcome here anytime... </font color> <font color="blue"> It has great fresh snow. Gee, I like it.</font color> <font color="red">...don't try the yellow... </font color> <font color="blue">I have never voted to Nuke Canada despite the rumors.</font color> <font color="red">...Like Colin said" you break it, you own it. Seems to be working in Iraq... </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color> (and the t-shirt). Ask anyone, I love frozen tundra. <font color="blue">

<font color="blue"> </font color> Yes, I cultivate my A-Hole reputation . <font color="blue"> </font color> <font color="red">I compliment you on a job well done. </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color> but I'm normally not that way at all. <font color="blue"> </font color> <font color="red">I'll take your word for it. </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color> Just taking up the slack for a fellow poster who is on recluse right now... <font color="blue"> </font color> <font color="red">Can't wait to hear from him </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color> When he gets back and I reach 1125 posts, I'll settle back down.</font color>

<font color="blue"> </font color> Deeman
wonder if he's hostile or snikering....</font color> <font color="red">Snikering of course. I read some of your previous post, they always make me laugh... Just to be clear now, I'm only joking </font color>

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 07:22 AM
Hawk,

Good, now that all is well, I'll explain my "NUKE CANADA" Twice T-shirt...It involved an incident with Cliff Thor. in Detroit a few years ago. I was beaten out by two Canadians in succession in a tournament and may have made a Nuke Canada threat (entirely as a joke to Cliff). Years after, I am in Texas and a guy who works for a Canadian firm and down here on assignment recognises me from that tournament. He actually witnessed the little chat (faked yelling match, wolfing session)I had with Cliff and so, I had a neat t-shirt made up that has NUKE CANADA" "Twice" across the back, It happens to be on a great Easy Rider's design shirt wiht a skull and now one of my favorites. I wear it to PettyPoint and other pool functions. That being said, Don't think of me as a Canada basher, just as an instrument of spreading the good name of your country around the lower U.S. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman
Cliff was playing one pocket in Alabama a few weeks ago so he must be spreading the good will as well (he won)

SpiderMan
05-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Dee,

Didn't you write the Canadian section of "Foreigners Around the World" for Lampoon?

SpiderMan

05-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Canada is a great place for great players, it's all about location in Canada that can set you back. The procress for me is to put myself in the right place to bring myself to the next level in competion,and go from there. After that who knows where I go. Thanks for the support.

Terry
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi 123,

I hope you reach that next level. Ont. will take you there i'm sure. I live in Atlantic Canada myself, you wouldn't be from NB would you? Terry

05-25-2005, 09:45 AM
You make the most sence so far,out of all the replies I read concerning my post. Someday hopefully I will make it to the USA to compete. MY friend told me once that a emty vessel makes the most noise,need I say anymore. THANK'S 123.

05-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Terry thanks for the interest, answer to your question is I choose to remain a stranger from a small town, the reason is because of the negitive influnce I have experienced living in the area I grew up in, the area where I come from nobody takes any chances with ther life, they sit back take your inventory and say how folish your are to try make your dreams come true, meanwhile they set back and cry over there life wishing they would have followed there dreams. With change there comes growth, With growth there comes change. I wish to have no interferance with this process, no offence to you intended. Look foward to chating with you again. 123

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 10:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Dee,

Didn't you write the Canadian section of "Foreigners Around the World" for Lampoon?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I am greatful you remembered. </font color>

Deeman
how being identified as an empty vessel has ruined my life...

Stretch
05-25-2005, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Dee,

<font color="blue"> I am greatful you remembered. </font color>

Deeman
how being identified as an empty vessel has ruined my life... <hr /></blockquote>

Ahhh Dee, if it'll make you feel any better, i always thought your cup runeth over. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St.

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 11:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

Ahhh Dee, if it'll make you feel any better, i always thought your cup runeth over. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif St. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Maybe, just a bit. </font color>

Deeman
can't skate but loves Canadian beer....anyone seen the Stanley Cup recently? It was around here somewhere. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Terry
05-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Hi 123,

I understand your wanting to remain anonymous and ofcourse i'm not offended. Like I said I hope you reach your dreams. I think if the dream is strong enough then it should be followed. I love the game but live in a town of 3,600 people and just play a weekly tournament because my family needs don't allow me to put the time or money into my game to go beyond this. I have to say that i'm happy with my life as it is though. I got to play in provincials last year and did very well. I have a daughter that is playing and i'd take her to the ends of the earth to play if she gets the opportunity ( not just because of pool though ) because of the experience of competing, traveling, meeting people and seeing other cultures and places in the world, I can help her in this way because I work, I could never make a living from playing pool, I will never be that good so i'll just enjoy it as a game. I'll be taking her to the Nationals this year and maybe i'll get a chance to talk with ya there. Good Luck, Terry

hawk
05-25-2005, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Dee,

Dee, Unfair, you're a pro. Wtf, you trying to shark me?

Hawk...

Haven't seen the Stanley Cup lately, but Stevie N's mvp is lookin pretty good. Go Suns

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hawk:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Dee,

Dee, Unfair, you're a pro. Wtf, you trying to shark me?

Hawk...

Haven't seen the Stanley Cup lately, but Stevie N's mvp is lookin pretty good. Go Suns
<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">LOL, Yep, Stevie has a lock. GO SUNS!!!!

Deeman </font color>

BoroNut
05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Hey Moderator. Wake up. This thread has been hijacked by the North American Mutual Appreciation Society. Get a grip man. They're having a love-in here, and there might be kids watching. Can you warn people not to get sidetracked please, and just remain focussed on the original 'Canada Is Crap' thread derail.

Boro Nut

hawk
05-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey Boronut, just a few words for you. Like we say up here "Go to Texas" and while you're down there say hi to my new pal Deeman.

1pRoscoe
05-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Dee - where in TX?

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 01:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BoroNut:</font><hr> Hey Moderator. Wake up. This thread has been hijacked by the North American Mutual Appreciation Society. Get a grip man. They're having a love-in here, and there might be kids watching. Can you warn people not to get sidetracked please, and just remain focussed on the original 'Canada Is Crap' thread derail.

Boro Nut <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

LMAO, now we turn our attention to England.

If it were not for Indian Restaurants, you guys wouyld be starving to death.

Beckham left you....

The Nugget has switched over to nine ball! An American invention...

Your Prince's wife is dog butt ugly.

You actually pay a women to be your queen.

You lost Hong Kong, the only place to shop.

We've got Allison!!!!

Upstairs, Downstairs has not been on in 25 years and we think your newest comic is Benny Hill....

Let's see BBC 1 or BBC2? Naw, I'll watch Baywatch again...

The Irish don't even bother to attack you anymore...

Blackpool is not Disney World. eh?

You are our allies....you have to love us... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

Deeman

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 01:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1pRoscoe:</font><hr> Dee - where in TX? <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Longview, 45 mile west of Shrieveport, LA and two miles south of Hell. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif</font color>

Deeman

Scott Lee
05-25-2005, 05:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> ....anyone seen the Stanley Cup recently? It was around here somewhere. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Dee...It got lost somewhere! That's why they couldn't play NHL hockey last season...no Stanley Cup! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Scott