PDA

View Full Version : Simonis Pro 860

griffith_d
05-23-2005, 04:53 PM
I just got my Connelly 8+ foot recovered yesterday in green Simonis Pro 860. It had the standard "good" stuff that came with it when I bought it new 2 years ago.

This matchs the same at Classics and installed by David, the same guy that cover Classics.

I have played a few games and what a difference!!!

I looked a Simonis's web site and they said that the 860 is slightly slower than the standard 760.

Has anyone got comments about the differences. Should I have bought the faster 760?

David is one of the best table mechanics in Houston and works all over. He did a superb job.

Griff

dg-in-centralpa
05-23-2005, 05:33 PM
I have 860 on my bar box at home and 760 at the pool hall. Personally I like the 860. It is a little slower but I can control the cueball easier. Certain shots, the CB seems to skid rather than roll. Just my opinion.

DG

JimS
05-24-2005, 04:16 AM
I like the 860 better because that's what is usually encountered out there in the rest of the world. I believe the 760 is intended as a snooker cloth.

PQQLK9
05-24-2005, 10:41 AM
I have had both on my table and like 860 the best (more body IMHO).
The room I play in here has 18 tables, 10 of which are Diamond Pros with 860. Well they just put new cushions and 760 on one of them and some smoker burnt a penny size hole in the cloth right at the first diamond on the long rail on the first day. Go figure /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I like the 860 better because that's what is usually encountered out there in the rest of the world. I believe the 760 is intended as a snooker cloth. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> I think 760 is more for Three Cushion than for snooker.</font color>

Cane
05-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I have 760 on my home table and definitely prefer 860. I do have the 860 at the house to put on it, but just too lazy to get 'er done.

The 760 is nice, but as someone said, the 860 has more "body" to it, and the 760, while it looks nice and is easier to keep clean of chalk and such, is thinner and, like Dee said, not really designed for snooker or pocket billiards. Not sure, but I believe he's right when he says it was designed for 3C. Sure is FAST!!!

Later,
Bob

Cane
05-25-2005, 12:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Well they just put new cushions and 760 on one of them and some smoker burnt a penny size hole in the cloth right at the first diamond on the long rail on the first day. Go figure /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. <hr /></blockquote>

Nick, I'm a smoker, BUT.... the guy that burned the hole in the cloth should have been beheaded, drawn and quartered and his body parts scattered to the 4 corners of the state for even getting a cigarette close to a pool table!!! Well, at least they should have barred him or made him pay for new cloth and cost of recovering.

Later,
Bob (smokes like a train, but NOT over anyones pool tables)

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 12:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Well they just put new cushions and 760 on one of them and some smoker burnt a penny size hole in the cloth right at the first diamond on the long rail on the first day. Go figure /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. <hr /></blockquote>

Nick, I'm a smoker, BUT.... the guy that burned the hole in the cloth should have been beheaded, drawn and quartered and his body parts scattered to the 4 corners of the state for even getting a cigarette close to a pool table!!! Well, at least they should have barred him or made him pay for new cloth and cost of recovering.

Later,
Bob (smokes like a train, but NOT over anyones pool tables) <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Even as a smoker, I have never had a cigarette near a pool table. I see guys in the bars leaning over with a cigarette and even putting them on the rail while shooting. This is ignorant and slovenly. How can you play this game and not respect the equipment? </font color>

Deeman

Bob_Jewett
05-25-2005, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> I like the 860 better because that's what is usually encountered out there in the rest of the world. I believe the 760 is intended as a snooker cloth. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> I think 760 is more for Three Cushion than for snooker.</font color> <hr /></blockquote>
Simonis 300 Rapide is for three cushion. The Simonis web site discusses this.

760 is not for snooker, but I suppose you could use it for golf. Traditional snooker cloth has a nap and a different color.

AmazingBrewdini
05-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Simonis 760 is a bit too fast for my taste,I prefer Simonis 860. IMO 860 strikes just the right balance between speed and control.

For billiards (as in carom billiards) Simonis makes 300 carom cloth. 300 is the fastest cloth made by Simonis.

For snooker, Simonis makes 4000, 5000, and 7000 cloth. As do all proper Snooker cloths, all of them have a nap and are directional. 4000 is their fastest, 5000 is medium fast, and 7000 is fast, although not as fast as 4000.

Gorina (Spain) is also a top notch manufacturer and makes a broad range of excellent quality cloths for pool, billiards, and snooker. For pool, Gorina Granito is, IMO, an excellent alternative to Simonis 860.