PDA

View Full Version : Barretta and Lee

SplinterHands
05-24-2005, 05:54 AM
I watched the Barretta/Kelly and Fisher/Lee matches last night. I must say that I was impressed with Jennifer Baretta's game. She stays down on the shot very well. Too bad her break wasn't working. Does anyone else find Jeanette Lee's behavior irritating after she wins? Not only the final win, but every win along the way. I find it difficult to watch her unsportmanlike antics. Oh, and I loved the Super Shot of the Match. Mitch must have picked that one.

Gayle in MD
05-24-2005, 06:03 AM
Yes, I find her antics distracting and unsportsmanlike, but I don't think we'll have to be watching her too often in the future with all the great young talent on the way up. How about when she was running up to the camera to say, "I love you Mom, I love you Mom" and her Mother was right behind her, /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif LOL.

Gayle in Md.

Vagabond
05-24-2005, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>when she was running up to the camera to say, "I love you Mom, I love you Mom" and her Mother was right behind her, /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif LOL.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi,
Is it similar to a guy sending flowers to his wife to her work place on her birth day instead of giving those flowers at home?
I do not see anything wrong with celebration of ones victory.Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cueless Joey
05-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Jeannete Lee is an attention hog.
She was milking the crowd and tv. I think she has the Reggie Jackson disease.
She caught Allison on Allison's very bad day.
Allison seemed like she was in lala land .

9 Ball Girl
05-24-2005, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>"I love you Mom, I love you Mom" and her Mother was right behind her, /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif LOL.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>Gayle, you're killing me! LOL

Stick
05-24-2005, 08:03 PM
I must say that I don't really enjoy when she is doing the comentary on games. She did a few for the WPBA in 2004 with Mitch Lawrence and I found her rather annoying. She was not quite used to the microphone and some of what she was saying was lost as she seemed to be almost whispering.

I also thought she was over critical of a few players, which was interesting because the only reason she was providing the commentary was because she was no longer in the tournaments!

I am not sure if anyone caught this but in one match as a ball bounced off the side pocket point she yelled, "Don't hit the tit". I was thinking.... did she just say that on ESPN? Sure enough after a few rewinds of the tape it was clear that is exactly what she said. I will have to try and find the match again so I can point out which one it was.

That said, she is also a great player.

Rip
05-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Especially if you're wearing great looking shoes!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Rip

sneakypapi
05-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey what's the deal here? Bad mouthing Janette Lee, come on guys lighten up. Just because she has personality unlike many of the WPBA players, doesn't mean you have to critcize her. It seems like you want pool to be prim and proper all the time, pool needs characters and personality to keep it on TV, everybody knows that. Case in point look at the the preshow interviews on ESPN with Mitch and Ewa they try to get some feedback and comments from some boring pros. You have to remember one thing, Janette is not Number 1, but I do know that Allison will flaunt her status in interviews, but she comes across as charming maybe? because of being a proper English player? Allison in an understated way will go out on a limb and say she could very well be the best female player of all time ( I don't dissagree with this, but if Janette stated that, then look out pool world). By the way how come we don't see Baretta's plumbers crack? LOL

Gayle in MD
05-25-2005, 03:35 AM
Hi Stick,
I saw and taped the match you are talking about. I remember thinking the same thing about her overly critical commentary of the gals who were shooting. She just turns me off. When compared to the class displayed by the other women on tour, she falls way short, IMO.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
05-25-2005, 06:29 AM
I think if you would go to Allison's website, and read her stats, you would see that her given her consistant record breaking performance, her public behavior, in interviews, and in general, is very humble. The same could also be said for Karen Corr.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sneakypapi:</font><hr>Allison in an understated way will go out on a limb and say she could very well be the best female player of all time <font color="blue">Perhaps because she is... </font color> ( I don't dissagree with this, but if Janette stated that, then look out pool world) <font color="blue"> Perhaps because she is not. </font color> . By the way how come we don't see Baretta's plumbers crack? LOL <font color="blue"> More Baretta Crack is o.k. by most of us... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

sneakypapi
05-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Im still alone on this? LOL. Janette has the right to say what she wants, remember this you, you do not have to be number 1 to act like you are number 1. In the Florida Open Janette beat Allison 7-0 that says alot. Janette has been on the Pro tour longer than Allison and Karen, plus she is an American player (not too many top American Players). I remember back in the early and mid 90's the womens' game was not that great. I will even go out on a limb and say there was no true champion back then. Janette has come a long way in her game to stay up in the top 5, that says alot espically for being a pro for so many years. There are only handful of men from the 90's that I can think of that still are playing top pool, or I should say like 3? maybe?

Cueless Joey
05-25-2005, 09:33 AM
The 90's top players were Archer, Efren and Strickland imo.
They still are up there today.

Qtec
05-25-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im still alone on this? <font color="blue">Who knows? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color> LOL. Janette has the right to say what she wants, <font color="blue">Yes, and people have the right to comment. </font color> remember this you, you do not have to be number 1 to act like you are number 1. <font color="blue">How should a nummber one act? </font color> In the Florida Open Janette beat Allison 7-0 that says alot. <font color="blue"> If she beat her 70 x 7-0 THAT would say a lot.</font color> Janette has been on the Pro tour longer than Allison and Karen, plus she is an American player (not too many top American Players). <font color="blue">So what? </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

I think you are missing the point. ie, her mother was right behind her. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifLOL

Q.........dont you see it??????????????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif..it IS funny......... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

opposedtwin2
05-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Although Lee's personality isn't my favorite she unquestionably has been a huge part of the success of WPBA and has helped pool in general. She, arguably, is responsible for the money awarded at WPBA tournaments which all their members share in. She doesn't have the polish and humility or talent IMO of Allison (who is my favorite) but she is true to the American ideal of "Show Me The Money".

landshark77
05-25-2005, 10:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote opposedtwin2:</font><hr> She, arguably, is responsible for the money awarded at WPBA tournaments which all their members share in. <hr /></blockquote>

I think you are giving her too much credit. I wouldn't say all that. Can she sell product...yes...but is she responsable for getting more money for the WPBA tourneys...LMAO NO!

Regulator
05-25-2005, 10:46 AM
People, it's marketing.

Where's the money coming from to pay "boring" pool players. Not much from TV. Other than Lee and Massey, where's the excitement ??

Tiger swears, slams down clubs and does lots of arm pumping. He was paid a lot of marketing money before he won a pro tournament.

Wrestling, football, baseball, auto racing, tennis - they've all become more and more about the personalities. In fact, people complaining seems to increase the hype.

What pool needs is someone with a "tennis scream" after every shot.

Nostroke
05-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I have to disagree Shark. I know you have seen/heard countless fans ask about the 'Black Widow' When one of her matches ends, 30% of the fans leave the arena. It's only because fans show up that the WPBA has had the "success" it has and many of them come to see Jeanette like it or not.

landshark77
05-25-2005, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> I have to disagree Shark. I know you have seen/heard countless fans ask about the 'Black Widow' When one of her matches ends, 30% of the fans leave the arena. It's only because fans show up that the WPBA has had the "success" it has and many of them come to see Jeanette like it or not. <hr /></blockquote>

Now that, Nostroke, I can agree with...I read it as she was the one doing all the marketing, the one approaching ESPN and sponsors to make the purse bigger. Which she wasn't. But yes fans came to see her...and if it wasn't for the fans ESPN and the sponsors wouldn't be too interested.

Scott Lee
05-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah...what SHE said! Besides, Jennifer Baretta is BETTER looking than JLee anyhow! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL

Scott

sneakypapi
05-25-2005, 03:32 PM
I think that many people who don't like over the top personalities lack a decent personality themselves and make up for it by lashing out. The bottom line is look at Bowling it made quite a comeback within the last 5 years because of marketing and the marketing of it players and developing player personalities.

And don't forget one thing about pool; where did the nick names come from????? that is an obivious attempt to "market" players by using nick names.

cuechick
05-25-2005, 03:51 PM
I do not think Jeanette is not anywhere near as over the top as Vivian... who boarders on sharking. I also think the directors coach the players to be over the top to make it more interesting...
And Jeanette has more than any other player brought the sport to the mainstream.

Nightstalker
05-25-2005, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Yeah...what SHE said! Besides, Jennifer Baretta is BETTER looking than JLee anyhow! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Werd dawg! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ryushen21
05-25-2005, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Yeah...what SHE said! Besides, Jennifer Baretta is BETTER looking than JLee anyhow! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

So is Jennifer Chen IMHO.

CarolNYC
05-26-2005, 02:39 AM
Hey there,
Jeanette is the icon of pool-have you ever talked to someone who has NO IDEA about pool and the very first question they ask is "Did you ever play that CHINESE girl,the Black Widow"Well, shes not chinese! But, she is the NAME of pool-and if any man out there tells me they dont watch her bend over to shoot a shot, your full of sh&amp;t!
Knowing Jeanette, she gives her fans the time of day,unless its during a match,which we all really have no time,but fans is what its all about because without them, their would be empty seats and pool wouldnt be pool!
Jeanette looks good,plays good and the crowd LOVES her and Im glad shes here!
There are some players who are just SO obnoxious to watch,I mean, they take FOREVER to shoot and then stay on the ball for like,50 seconds,cm'on now,shoot the damn ball-this is why I love watching men-they just go for the gusto-aggression,I love it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Carol~likes Jeanette /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BoroNut
05-26-2005, 01:18 PM
I can't believe this has descended into another X is better than Y slanging match, but that's women for you. It's all lovey-dovey in front of the cameras but off screen they're slagging each other off left right and centre. It's all "What DO you look like" and "Who cut your hair, Oxfam? It's childish and trivialises the sport. It's about time they grew up and left these playground antics behind them. They should take a leaf out of the menís book and sort themselves out once an for all. Show a bit of maturity for a change. Just get in the showers and see who has got the biggest clitoris.

Boro Nut

Rackin_Zack
05-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Speaking of Jeanette and Jennifer, here's a pic of a "tribute" cue that is in the works:

http://www.missouri.edu/~richardsonz/JLscrimClspWb.jpg

The three WPBA players that will be on this cue are Jeanette Lee, Jennifer Barretta and Allison Fisher.

CarolNYC
05-26-2005, 01:50 PM
Very cool! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
05-26-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all lovey-dovey in front of the cameras but off screen they're slagging each other off left right and centre. It's all "What DO you look like" and "Who cut your hair, Oxfam?<hr /></blockquote>

BALONEY! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Show a bit of maturity for a change. Just get in the showers and see who has got the biggest clitoris
<hr /></blockquote>

I guess you've done that before /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifReal mature!
Carol

landshark77
05-27-2005, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BoroNut:</font><hr> It's all lovey-dovey in front of the cameras but off screen they're slagging each other off left right and centre. It's all "What DO you look like" and "Who cut your hair, Oxfam? It's childish and trivialises the sport. <hr /></blockquote>

Ummm..it's not like THAT.