PDA

View Full Version : Pleasure of Small Motions

05-24-2005, 10:52 AM
This book has opened up my mind in many ways concerning my mental game in billiards. Would be interested in hereing from anybody who feels the same about the book. Not everybody feels the same way about this book,it can be at times very hard to follow, but also very valueable when it comes to learning the process of becoming at one with yourself, so you can bring your best game to the table.

catscradle
05-24-2005, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 123:</font><hr> This book has opened up my mind in many ways concerning my mental game in billiards. Would be interested in hereing from anybody who feels the same about the book. Not everybody feels the same way about this book,it can be at times very hard to follow, but also very valueable when it comes to learning the process of becoming at one with yourself, so you can bring your best game to the table. <hr /></blockquote>

Give "The Inner Game of Tennis" a shot, I think it was much better and useful.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Both books already mentioned are good sports psycology reads.

My favorite is 'Golf is not a game of Perfect'

Excellent descriptions of goals, practice and execution and how they contribute to your growth.

Deeman2
05-24-2005, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
My favorite is 'Golf is not a game of Perfect'

<hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">Mine as well. Great mental descriptions. </font color>

Deeman

caedos
05-26-2005, 11:17 PM
"The Pleasures of Small Motions" (2nd ed.) is greatness.

"The Inner game of Tennis" was great in its time, and still is for Tennis. There is much of value still, just keep in mind that it was written for a reactionary sport. Pool is a statically addressed sport; nothing moves until we decide it is time to add energy to the equation.

"Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" is one of my favorites.

"Secret Tactics" by Kazumi Tabata is very good for the samurai minded.

"The Mental Art of Putting" is also very good.

c

catscradle
05-27-2005, 04:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caedos:</font><hr> "The Pleasures of Small Motions" (2nd ed.) is greatness.

"The Inner game of Tennis" was great in its time, and still is for Tennis.
<hr /></blockquote>

I've got to disagree, "The Inner Game of Tennis" kicks "Pleasures..." butt, hands down. I'm not a tennis player btw. Maybe it is because I was a psychology major in college and I don't like all the psuedo science in "Pleasures...". "The Inner Game ..." just gets to the point and skips all the meaningless mumbo-jumbo. Some of it is throwaway because it is specifically tennis, but the rest is golden.

Cane
05-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Personally, I absolutely loved "Pleasures". I have it, and still read through it from time to time (thank you Bob Jewett for recommending it to me) and got a LOT from it as far as my mental approach to pocket billiards.

I've also gotten a lot from the "Inner Game of Tennis", which Bob J also recommended, but for me, not near as much as I did from "Pleasures of Small Motions".

There is another one that I read from time to time, more of a philosophical approach but has some very good reading, Tim Miller's (the Monk) "I Came to Win".

Carl, could you post Authors names or ISBN's on the other books you mentioned, please? I'd like to get them. I've seen your mental game, and if I could duplicate or come close to that, then maybe I'd have a snowballs chance in hell against you and Jerry the next time you two decide to school me in 1Pocket! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,
Bob

catscradle
05-27-2005, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> ...
Carl, could you post Authors names or ISBN's on the other books you mentioned, please? I'd like to get them. ...
Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>
Bob,
Try amazon.com's search capabilities, I can find almost all books I'm looking for even with the skimpiest information about the title.

stickman
05-28-2005, 08:36 AM
I too, loved the Pleasure of Small Motions. I felt like I got a lot from reading it. I lost my copy due to a divorce, and haven't replaced it yet. I need to order it, so I can reread it.

pooldude
05-28-2005, 09:13 AM
Maybe I need to read the book again. What I got from it is that if I miss a shot I shouldn't worry about it because apparently I'm not good enough to have made the shot anyway.

Kato
05-28-2005, 09:29 PM
I got zero pleasure from reading the book.

Kato

Popcorn
05-28-2005, 09:55 PM
I know you read a lot and I have a respect for your opinion. What exactly did you, or didn't you like about the book. I haven't read it by the way.

BillPorter
05-29-2005, 05:18 AM
I liked the book a lot. But it's not surprising that many pool players didn't like it and got little from it. The author seems to be more of a psychologist than pool player, and for some that's a negative. It might be a good book to read for a player whose game is in a slump and who is not really enjoying the game anymore. I think there are some good insights into our motives for playing the game and the nature of competition. Bear in mind that I am a retired psychology professor, so maybe I'm sort of biased in favor of psychological analyses of the game.

caedos
06-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Just back from Beaumont and Houston.

I don't feel or think one book 'kicks' another's butt, each of us will take something we need from each.

Bob, here are ISBN's and books on my shelf some may find useful or enlightening:

'Secret Tactics'-Kazumi Tabata; ISBN 0-8048-3488-1.
'Zen in the Martial Arts' - Joe Hyams; ISBN 0-553-27559-3.
'The Mental Game of Baseball' - H.A.Dorfmann &amp; Karl Kuehl; ISBN 1-888698-54-3.
'The Mental Edge'-Kenneth Baum w/ Richard Trubo; ISBN 0-399-52481-9.
'Playing in the Zone'-Andrew Cooper; ISBN 1-57062-151-9.
'Golf's Mental Hazards'- Alan Shapiro, PhD.; ISBN 0-684-80457-3.
'Golf is Not a Game of Perfect'- Dr.Bob Rotella w/ Bob Cullen; ISBN 0-684-80364-X.
'Putting Out of Your Mind'- Dr.Bob Rotella w/ Bob Cullen; ISBN 0-7432-1213-4.
'Quantum Golf'- Kjell Enhager; ISBN 0-446-39196-4.
'Pleasures of Small Motions; revised and expanded edition'-Bob Fancher, PhD.; ISBN 1-58574-539-1.

Golf and pool are extraordinarily similar in many regards, so the list includes some of those books. The baseball book is okay, especially if you take it from the pitcher's perspective since he is the one who starts the action. My Gallwey books have dissappeared but they are also good: The Inner Game of Tennis and the Inner Game of Golf.

Hope this helps.

C