PDA

View Full Version : Pace

Drop1
05-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Is it my imagination,or is there a certain speed of movement while playing the game,that creates an almost out of body experience,while you sink ball after ball,and your stroke is smooth and true,and you move about the table almost dancing on wind. In horse racing pace is a great tool for handicapping,as you time the speed between poles.Maybe every athelete has a combination of pace and timing,for best performance. What do you think.

sack316
05-24-2005, 12:37 PM
I agree with ya on this one, just based on the fact that when I get going good in some sort of zone, I tend to move very quickly.I know moving fast is also one of my downfalls a lot of times too though, as sometimes I'm down ready to shoot again almost before the cue ball stops moving. I think for me sometimes it's more of a comfort level thing, knowing my crazy mind if I take too much time I'll overthink my shot and it usually isn't too pretty. But if I'm natural in my flow around the table, it has resulted in some great shooting

Scott Lee
05-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Drop1...What you're describing is often referred to by poolplayers as being "in the zone" or "playing unconscious"!
It is a mental/physical state where everything seems to fall into place. It is generally NOT something we can control, at least for more than short periods of play. Sometimes it lasts as little as 2-3 shots, and other times might last for several games. However, the 'pace' is subject to the individual. Some play very quickly when in this "state", and others play very methodically and slow.
I happen to believe that by developing your fundamentals and your game "behind the CB", it allows a player to more frequently move towards, or into, this almost subconscious state of mind and body.

Scott Lee

Drop1
05-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Scott,
Thanks for your response.I'm starting to work on my stroke using ritual so far the results are amazing. You have a good way of making the complex clear.