PDA

View Full Version : Practicing w/Large balls on Snooker table.???

cheesemouse
06-09-2002, 07:54 AM
Although I haven't done this in many years I seem to remember that it is actually easier to pocket the large ball on a snooker table as it's larger stance and weight allow it to compress the left or right rounds of the pocket and feed the ball down and into the hole. It is a simple matter of amping up the speed. Is this true???

Tom_In_Cincy
06-09-2002, 07:58 AM
Not from my experience. Its quite the opposite.

Doctor_D
06-09-2002, 11:42 AM
Good afternoon:

I have used conventional pocket billiard balls on a 6' x 12' Snooker table and have found the pockets to be quite challenging. However, due to the fact that I do not have access to a Snooker table on a regular basis, I routinely use the pocket reducers to aid in my practicde sessions. Merciless, they are down right merciless!

Dr. D.

TonyM
06-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Yes I believe it is Cheese Mouse! I've always found it a bit easier to pocket the larger balls on the Snooker table. Another reason is that the heavier ball stays on course better than the light ball. Also, the light ball squirts more than the heavier ball.

Most people have thought that I was crazy to claim this however!

Keep in mind that the diameter difference is only 3/16" to 1/8". Trivial with regards to pocket width imo.

Tony

06-15-2002, 09:56 AM
Can't say as it would be easier pocketing larger balls on a snooker table as I haven't tried it. The pocket dimensions 1 1/2 (snooker small ball) width compared to 2 (pool-large ball) width would likely make it difficult. As the rail height is relative to the ball size I would certainly think you'ld have problems keeping the large balls from jumping off the table wtih the lower snooker rails. ...Bob

Tom_In_Cincy
06-15-2002, 10:06 AM
The pocket dimentions on a snooker table vary from manufacturer and tournament specs. There are many "templates" use to make the pockes of a snooker table. Most snooker pockets are 3 inches or less.

Pool balls are standardized to have a diameter of 2 inches while Snooker Balls are 2 inches.

The pocket dimentions for a pool table vary from just a hair less than 4 inches to 5 inches. Tournaments say they have pockets that are 4 inch pockets.

06-15-2002, 11:13 AM
I agree Tom, I was only speaking in very general terms regarding pocket widths. Match tournament pockets in snooker are know for being incredibly tight. It was amazing to watch Stephen Hendry recently in the Premier Snooker League Championships as he knocked in his record 500th career match century break against Ronnie O'Sullivan. Awesome accuracy on such large tables and tight pockets. ...Bob

TonyM
06-17-2002, 12:49 AM
Actually Snooker balls are not 2". They are 2 1/16" to 2 1/8" in diameter. Thus you are looking at a difference in ball diameters of only 1/8" to 3/16". This is not really significant with respect to pocket size, even on a Snooker table.

And keep in mind folks that the original question was regarding the difference between potting a pool ball versus a Snooker ball on a SNOOKER table. Not potting pool balls on a Snooker table versus a pool table.

Tony