PDA

View Full Version : Forms for Cue Cases

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 12:07 PM
I took an old 3 butt, 6 shaft case that a freind had outgrown and I decided to cover it with leather. The original cover was fake leather (a Geuseppi). I ordered a couple of skins of textured crocodile and snakeskin but ended up repairing the old covering so well it looks new.

I am considering using the hides I have to make a case. I have all the leather working tools I need but am looking for a form to make up the outter shell ot the case. The leather I have is too thin (2mm) to use as a structural support. I am considering using some 4" round PVC and forming it, then attaching the leather and caping it off on the ends with turned wooden burl pieces. Anyone know of how to get, build, buy or steal a form for this if the PVC is not a good idea. I sure don't need another case but I'd like to try this and see what happens rather than let this beautiful leather sit around and collect dust.

Anyone out there made a case? Please share your knowledge. It will be appreciated.

Deeman

ras314
05-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Maybe you could try a sheet metal place? Better would be a coppersmith if there are any left.

Sounds like one heck of a job with pvc unless you just want a round tube.

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Maybe you could try a sheet metal place? Better would be a coppersmith if there are any left.

Sounds like one heck of a job with pvc unless you just want a round tube. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

raz,

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try that. My idea was to heat the round PVC and mash it a bit to get an oval shape. I'll see if there is a sheet metal guy willing to do me a cheap tube. </font color>

Thanks,

Deeman
I'll try to bring my effort to PettyPoint as you will be there...

Deeman2
05-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Cane just sent me via e-mail, the best description of a great method for doing this. The man knows his oats.

Deeman /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
will take Cane's secrets to my grave, but not too soon...

Cane
05-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Dee, Check your email. I sent you a procedure that I use for making leather case forms for Bamboo Fly Rods. It will work for Cue Cases, also.

Later,
Bob

Cane
05-25-2005, 02:09 PM
LOL, I saw you were still posting and hadn't received the email yet, so thought I'd give you a heads up on here. No secret really, just figured it was too long and detailed to clutter up the board with. If anyone else is interested, it's a method I use to make leather cases for my custom Bamboo Fly Rods (for those who want to throw down the bucks for them /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ). Would be happy to share, just PM or email me, or if enough really want to know, I'll post it on here.

Later,
Bob

Popcorn
05-25-2005, 02:42 PM
I friend of mine wanted to make cases and he had the dies made to make the tubes. He was going to make a case like the old Fellini case, it turned out to be incredibility easy. The tubes were extruded in two sizes. One was the outer and the other was the short sleeve that the cap slipped over. All you did was cover the long tube with the leather of vinyl and then cut it where you wanted the cap to be. You then glue in the short piece so you can slip the cap back on. You slide in the lining and glue it in place and add the end caps and latch. That's it. He paid like $5000.00 to get the dies made but the final case only cost like $.50 plus the covering and lining. ( of course you have to amortize in the cost of the dies but they would last a life time and make millions of cases.) If it was vinyl, the whole case cost maybe $2.00 to make plus labor which was not much. I haven't seen him in a few years and I don't know what ever happened to the dies for the tubing. He only had them for the one butt two shaft. To do it seriously he would have needed two more dies for the two butt four shaft. He never finished the project, he is worse then me at starting things and not finishing. I know John Barton is going to chime in here to say there is more to it then that, but not to make the simple Fellini style, making those cases are like stealing, I could working by myself with the system I worked out I would say I could make 30 to 40 cases a week. The big cost is the dies for extruding the tubing but I would bet if you did a search you could find an off the shelf tube that would work from some supplier out there that you can just buy. No necessarily oval but maybe a triangle like the Whitten case or square. I think still have some of those tubes around somewhere.

Popcorn
05-25-2005, 02:49 PM
I would like to see it.

Cane
05-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Popcorn, this is the method I use for making leather rod tubes for my fly rods. might sound crude, but a patient worker can make a GREAT looking setup with this method. Good enough that I get $500 for a rod tube made this way...
Of course, that price includes some very elaborate tooling, like fishing scenes or a brown trout or something like that on the leather. BTW, as I told Deeman, I took orders three of these one day on the Eagle Fork River in Colorado. One guy was looking at mine and liked it, but didn't think it would protect his rod, so I laid mine on the ground with a $1200 bamboo fly rod in it and drove over it with the front tire of my Isuzu Trooper... All it did was scratch the leather up a little, it didn't even come close to hurting the fly rod. I would imagine it would be just as tough for a cue case, well, just in case you ever get ran over in the parking lot of a pool room! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyways, I'll just copy the email I sent Deeman to here...

OK Dee, try this. I do this for my custom Fly Rods if someone wants a $500 leather case to go along with them! It's a pain in the ass but it works. LOL Of course, I'm not a leather worker, so I just send it to the saddle shop to get it covered once I get the form finished.
First, decide on the configuration of your case, whether you want it 2x4, 4x6 or whatever. Get the appropriate sized PVC pipe (use the cheap stuff, not the schedule 40... schedule 40 is too heavy) and configure it how you want it for the case. I like using the PVC because you can then put the cues in tip first, but first, whatever you want. OK, cut them to length, tape them together about 2" from each end with duct tape... now the fun part. Make a form for the shape of the case out of poster board. Tape it together around the PVC tubes, use whatever you want to space it off of the tubing so that it will stay stable during the next step. Now, what you have is a bunch of PVC tubes inside a paper form, ok... Drill several holes
in the paper form (you'll see why in a minute) about a quarter inch or so diameter.
Next, get a couple of cans of expanding foam from the hardware store and A LITTLE AT A TIME, start filling the paper form through the drilled holes.
A little of this stuff goes a LONG ways, so just do it a little at a time until you get it close to coming out the ends. OK, now when the form is almost full from both ends, squirt this stuff in each end, top and bottom until it builds out past the end of the tubing. Let it cure overnight then simply trim it off flush with the tubing on both ends, then peel the paper off of the outside. You can then, with a razor knife or sanding block, clean up any impections or "humps" in the surface.. You can then make nice liners for the tubes with crushed velvet or whatever material you want. I just made mine by sewing up long socks, out of red crushed velvet, stuck them over wood dowels, swabbed the inside of the holes with Weldwood Contact Cement and VERY QUICKLY rammed the liners in with a wooden dowel and smoothed them out. Gotta do this fast, or they'll stick before your ready! I did it with the contact cement still wet so I'd have a little room for error. Now, cut a piece to cover the top out of the same material and
VOILA! you have the perfect hard case and all it needs is the leather over the outside to make it look good.

Well, that's how I make those bulletproof fly rod cases, and I really don't see any reason it wouldn't work just fine for a cue case.

Later,
Bob

ras314
05-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Sounds like Cane has a good scheme. In looking over my Proper 2X4 it could well be made with that method. You also get some thermal insulation which is good.

The Justis is made basically by wraping the leather around the tubes, winds up about rectangular except the sides are round. Two butt tubes on the outside, four shaft tubes in the middle. The leather is about .1" thick and all but a few inches at the cap are supported by the tubes.

Then there is always the older hinged and latched rigid type. I like them when the are made so they hold the cue tight and don't rattle. Need a good wood worker involved with that one...

One of my gripes is too small dia tubes and short cases. The Justis accepts any cue I've got, the Porper will not. Some of these are house cues I've put joints in and have odd length butts or shafts. And I just got a 60" cue that barely fits in the Justis.

Will be well south of Angle Fire going over, in fact I haven't been north of Albuquerque much.

SpiderMan
05-26-2005, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I friend of mine wanted to make cases and he had the dies made to make the tubes. He was going to make a case like the old Fellini case, it turned out to be incredibility easy. The tubes were extruded in two sizes. One was the outer and the other was the short sleeve that the cap slipped over. All you did was cover the long tube with the leather of vinyl and then cut it where you wanted the cap to be. You then glue in the short piece so you can slip the cap back on. You slide in the lining and glue it in place and add the end caps and latch. That's it. He paid like $5000.00 to get the dies made but the final case only cost like $.50 plus the covering and lining. ( of course you have to amortize in the cost of the dies but they would last a life time and make millions of cases.) If it was vinyl, the whole case cost maybe $2.00 to make plus labor which was not much. I haven't seen him in a few years and I don't know what ever happened to the dies for the tubing. He only had them for the one butt two shaft. To do it seriously he would have needed two more dies for the two butt four shaft. He never finished the project, he is worse then me at starting things and not finishing. I know John Barton is going to chime in here to say there is more to it then that, but not to make the simple Fellini style, making those cases are like stealing, I could working by myself with the system I worked out I would say I could make 30 to 40 cases a week. The big cost is the dies for extruding the tubing but I would bet if you did a search you could find an off the shelf tube that would work from some supplier out there that you can just buy. No necessarily oval but maybe a triangle like the Whitten case or square. I think still have some of those tubes around somewhere. <hr /></blockquote>

Aluminum tubing is sold in standard sizes that are a slip-fit over one another. If you could stand a round case, you wouldn't need a special product. Us ham-radio guys use that tubing to make antenna masts. It might even be possible to "flatten" the tubing a little by slipping one inside the other and filling with sand before compressing it oval in some sort of inexpensive homemade die.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
05-26-2005, 08:16 AM
Bob, that is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time. So obvious and elegant a solution that it makes you want to slap your forehead. As soon as you mentioned the holes in the cardboard, I knew exactly what was coming next. DUH! Why didn't I think of this? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I do have a suggestion for a possible improvement - instead of waiting until after you foam everything, insert the liner socks in the PVC tubes first. That way, you can "turn down" the ends of the socks a few inches on the outside of the tubes. When you bundle the tubes together, there will be only smooth finished/covered ends showing, and no trimming required.

BTW, how do you seam the leather covering so that it looks good on the case body? Can you bring one of your fishin-rod cases to Pettypoint next month so I can look?

SpiderMan

Deeman2
05-26-2005, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Bob, that is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time. So obvious and elegant a solution that it makes you want to slap your forehead. As soon as you mentioned the holes in the cardboard, I knew exactly what was coming next. DUH! Why didn't I think of this? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I do have a suggestion for a possible improvement - instead of waiting until after you foam everything, insert the liner socks in the PVC tubes first. That way, you can "turn down" the ends of the socks a few inches on the outside of the tubes. When you bundle the tubes together, there will be only smooth finished/covered ends showing, and no trimming required. <font color="blue"> I think I'll try this. I'll just have the keep the foam away form the very ends of the tubes. </font color>

BTW, how do you seam the leather covering so that it looks good on the case body? <font color="blue"> Cane said he sends his out for the leather work. My plan is to lay a cobra skin on the back side, leaving a couple of inches gap. I'll then bring the leather around and overlap the snakehide but leave an inch or so showing. I'll put eyelets in the leather and run a cross-stich lace pattern with the laces over the snakehide. May do the same thing at the bottom of the case. May look cool, may be trash but I will find out in a few days as I get everything together.

I am now trying to figure out the best method for spacing between the tubes and the cardboard form. Maybe some bent up paperclips, I'm not sure on this one. </font color> Can you bring one of your fishin-rod cases to Pettypoint next month so I can look?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman

SpiderMan
05-27-2005, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Bob, that is one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time. So obvious and elegant a solution that it makes you want to slap your forehead. As soon as you mentioned the holes in the cardboard, I knew exactly what was coming next. DUH! Why didn't I think of this? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I do have a suggestion for a possible improvement - instead of waiting until after you foam everything, insert the liner socks in the PVC tubes first. That way, you can "turn down" the ends of the socks a few inches on the outside of the tubes. When you bundle the tubes together, there will be only smooth finished/covered ends showing, and no trimming required. <font color="blue"> I think I'll try this. I'll just have the keep the foam away form the very ends of the tubes. </font color>

BTW, how do you seam the leather covering so that it looks good on the case body? <font color="blue"> Cane said he sends his out for the leather work. My plan is to lay a cobra skin on the back side, leaving a couple of inches gap. I'll then bring the leather around and overlap the snakehide but leave an inch or so showing. I'll put eyelets in the leather and run a cross-stich lace pattern with the laces over the snakehide. May do the same thing at the bottom of the case. May look cool, may be trash but I will find out in a few days as I get everything together.

I am now trying to figure out the best method for spacing between the tubes and the cardboard form. Maybe some bent up paperclips, I'm not sure on this one. </font color> Can you bring one of your fishin-rod cases to Pettypoint next month so I can look?

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Dee,

Would there necessarily need to be a space between the tubes and the cardboard? I don't see a problem if the outside of the tubes is at the surface of the foam. And if there are a few gaps left, you can always fill by squirting some foam on the surface and sanding it back down.

All this talk is making me want to try it. I only have about a dozen unfinished projects going at the moment.

SpiderMan

Deeman2
05-27-2005, 07:52 AM
Spiderman,

I was thinking along the same lines. Maybe it will be solid enough to hold together. My other thoughts are:

How do you arrange for handles, straps, etc. I am thinking about imbedding some attachment points in the foam or wrapping wire around the tubes that can later be used to attach other hang ons.

What is the best method to make a top that will open and close?

Maybe I should attach short tube on the outside for a jump butt.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm gonna dive in over the weekend. Not many tournaments this weekend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Deeman

Cane
05-27-2005, 11:38 AM
OK, Guys, let's modify a little here... First, the reason I use spacers is that the sections of a bamboo fly rod are not near as big (diameter) as a cue, so I have one 1" tube and two 1/2" tubes. In order to get those centered in a round tube to be covered by leather, I need to space them out. Might not be necessary with a cue case. I don't see why you couldn't just tape your tubes together in the configuration you wanted, cover it in the form and go from there.

OK, on attachments, like handles. I don't make any fixtures or reinforcments for handles because the leather crafter uses full cow hide, and he sews on any loops and rings I want for shoulder straps, handles etc. If you're using a light weight leather, like a pig skin thickness or less than half thickness cow hide, then why not get the fixtures you want, cut holes in the paper form, put a reinforcing wire of some kind through a hole in the tab on the fixture and just mold it into place on when you're filling the tube with foam. You could trim out around these with the same leather you're covering with and not have to worry about anything "showing through".

As for the lid. On mine, I have the saddle guy put a hinged cap with a turn latch, almost exactly like what you see on the InStroke Cowboy Leather pool cases (which is what I carry). Again, he doesn't have to anchor anything into the molding, because the full hide leather itself is more than strong enough to hold all fixtures (which he either sews or rivits in place).

Actually, since this thread got started, I came up with an idea for a modification to help me center my tubes. I'm going to make a metal template so I can repeatedly cut 1/8" plywood "centering jigs" so that my tubes will be in exactly the same place every time in my rod cases. Not only will that help me center up my tubes better, but will eliminate the need or spacers and will make it much easier to roll the poster board form around the set of tubes and keep everything nice and round.

Dammit, guys, now you have me wanting to make a cue case! LOL I think, considering my lack of leatherworking skills, I'd just be better off buying a Justis and forgetting it, but hell, I'm not the "forget it" kind. I'll spend $1500 making a case that I could have bought for $500! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Later,
Bob

Deeman2
05-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Bob,

Momre good ideas. I'm gonna get dirty this weekend. I just cut the tubes for two (2) 3x6 cases and picked up the foam. Tori said I got some more leather and snakeskins in (I must have forgotten how many bids I placed!

Anyway, I'm trying to stay away from a couple of pool tournaments this weekend so I'll busy myself with case making...Like I need more cases....

Deeman2
05-31-2005, 08:08 AM
O.K. I made three cue cases this weekend. Found out several valuable lessons. First you need a mold release on the cardboard form or the insulation tears very badly. Second, Pam does not work as a mold release!

Case number 1

It is a free form of flowing insulation material painted black. This is a great looking case. It holds three butts and four shafts. I used two other small tubes to make a guide for two dowells that slid the top on. The top is held in place by two magnets on the end of the dowels that mate with corresponding magnets in the body of the case. I added a metal handle with a crocodile wrap and a leather pull cord on the top. Its' a little heavy (not as heavy as my Justis) but one of a kind and looks pretty awesome.

Case number two
A three by six with a 4 inch PVC outer cover covered with brown embossed leather. I am adding a handle to the top and a sling on the sides. This one is very heavy and will only be given to a weight lifter.

Case number 3
A two by four that is to be wrapped in black ostrige leather with a snakeskin under layer. This is a normal weight case. If I do the leather work properly, this one will look good as well.

Maybe a wasted weekend but better than braving the Texas rain.

Warning, don't get the insulation spray on your hands. It will take days to get off. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Deeman

SpiderMan
05-31-2005, 08:41 AM
How about posting some pictures?

SpiderMan

Deeman2
05-31-2005, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> How about posting some pictures?

<font color="blue"> Spiderman,

I can't post pictures but I'll take a couple tonight and send them to you tomorrow and you can post them.

I have a web site that allows me to store pictures but it never works when I try to post them. Just not enough computer nerd in me I guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>

Deeman

Cane
05-31-2005, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> O.K. I made three cue cases this weekend. Found out several valuable lessons. First you need a mold release on the cardboard form or the insulation tears very badly. Second, Pam does not work as a mold release!

Oops, Sorry Dee... uh... Vaseline works for a mold release. You can also buy mold release in spray cans at most Auto Body Repair Supply Stores. Damn, pretty important detail to forget, huh! LOL What did you end up using?

Later, (and sorry! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif )
Bob

Deeman2
05-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Bob,

No problem. I used KY jelly. And who says there's not another use for it! Just joking, I used some mold release from work. I hope my hands clear up by PettyPoint. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'll bring my efforts to PettyPoint and you can see what I end up with. I'm still wating for my last bit of leather to come in for the last case.

Deeman

SpiderMan
05-31-2005, 10:08 AM
I just put them in a Yahoo album and post a link to them. It works. I don't have one of those sites that can make the picture appear in-line with this text.

SpiderMan

Deeman2
05-31-2005, 11:10 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2125960371

O.K. Try this. If it works, I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Deeman

Deeman2
05-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Yikes!

No one will be safe now that Deeman can link pictures to the board. This could get ugly.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125959083

Deeman

SPetty
05-31-2005, 11:50 AM
Yikes! Who is that skinny little runt?

Does this work?:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p7a5f6ac2a2e37b16dba2d188b487dadf/f3e7e137.jpg

Barbara
05-31-2005, 12:03 PM
I didn't see any cases...

Barbara

Deeman2
05-31-2005, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Yikes! Who is that skinny little runt? <font color="blue"> You know you want me...LOL.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif</font color>

Does this work?: <font color="blue"> One day, I'll learn all this stuff and they'll have to ban me from the CCB. Can't wait until the Chili Wolfoff.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman
only thing keeping me away from SPetty is Leroy and SPety's good taste.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Barbara,

I have to take the pictures first! I can't do that from work....

Popcorn
05-31-2005, 12:10 PM
You need to right click on the picture and put the actual address of the picture.

Deeman2
05-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Popcorn,

Thanks, I'll try it when I get the case pictures taken.

Deeman

ras314
05-31-2005, 01:20 PM
Like this? Finally figured out how to post a pic. Darn I'n slow!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid140/p9e322190a063eaeea61377136d8dd280/f6f1ceb2.jpg

A gift someone thought suited Barbra.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid169/p62e94c35535aefae72347e0895a3c859/f4047372.jpg
Justis case

Deeman2
06-01-2005, 07:10 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125898064

Here is my first case. I call it "The Incredible Hulk"

It is a three by four. It has six small tubes but two are used for runners that slide the case together with magnets on the ends for solid attachment. I will now shoot some clear coat on it to protect the finish although I don't think nicks will be noticable. It has a crocodyle carry handle and a leather pull at the top.

I have not finished the other two but will post pictures when I complete them. This case is so ugly it might grow on me over time.

Deeman

SpiderMan
06-01-2005, 07:22 AM
Dee,

Check that link. The "case" pictured just looks like a wadded-up black trash bag, maybe with a shoestring tied around it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Deeman2
06-01-2005, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Dee,

Check that link. The "case" pictured just looks like a wadded-up black trash bag, maybe with a shoestring tied around it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> I ressemble that remark. O.K. Spiderman. Let's see your's....

If you can't appreciate art, just say something like ,"Ummm, unusual". Remember they laughed at Felini, they laughed at Einstein, they laughed at Groucho...

Artists are nver appreciated in their own time. Anyway, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

Deeman
wadded up trash bags are art too....

SPetty
06-01-2005, 07:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>The "case" pictured just looks like a wadded-up black trash bag, maybe with a shoestring tied around it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<hr /></blockquote> http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p03578994ef4fee3cdf52967b3c29920c/f3e3620f.jpg

Barbara
06-01-2005, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p03578994ef4fee3cdf52967b3c29920c/f3e3620f.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

What the... ??????

ras314
06-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Deeman, I think you used the url to the album, rather than the paticular picture you wanted. Least thats what I did several times.

OK, I signed in to ImageStation and looked at all the pics in the album.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/pd63eaac9071fdead1dd89fb47eff892c/f3e3620a.jpg

Guess I don't understand art. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SPetty
06-01-2005, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Guess I don't understand art. <hr /></blockquote> http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/pd63eaac9071fdead1dd89fb47eff892c/f3e3620a.jpg

SpiderMan
06-01-2005, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Deeman, I think you used the url to the album, rather than the paticular picture you wanted. Least thats what I did several times.

OK, I signed in to ImageStation and looked at all the pics in the album.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/pd63eaac9071fdead1dd89fb47eff892c/f3e3620a.jpg

Guess I don't understand art. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Hi-Dee-Ho, boys and girls!

Mr Hanky (http://www.deeplake.com/southpark/mr_hanky.shtml)

Give it a cap and mittens, and you'd have a dead ringer /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

SPetty
06-01-2005, 09:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Give it a cap and mittens, and you'd have a dead ringer<hr /></blockquote> Mr Hanky, the Christmas Poo:
http://www.deeplake.com/southpark/mrhanky.gif

Deeman2
06-01-2005, 09:32 AM
The cap and mittens are now on order. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif You just did this so I won't post the pictures of the other cases. Oh, well, maybe I should have started with something that looks like a normal case. Maybe next year.

Deeman

highsea
06-01-2005, 11:42 AM
WoW! Mr. Hanky meets the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

It might look cool with a camo pattern....lol, you can carry your most expensive cues in that sucker, cause nobody will steal that one... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd call it "The Coprolite" Lolol

CM~~~OMG, that's a classic...I'm still laughing

SpiderMan
06-01-2005, 12:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> WoW! Mr. Hanky meets the Creature from the Black Lagoon.
I'd call it "The Coprolite" Lolol
ing <hr /></blockquote>

Guess someone kept Dee "in the seat" too long at his Friday tournament. Wonder if that thing comes in brown? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Deeman2
06-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Post deleted by Deeman2

SPetty
06-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Post deleted by SPetty

Deeman2
06-01-2005, 12:55 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2125883259&amp;idx=1

SPetty,

Sorry, I just can't seem to get the hang of all this picture pasteing stuff. Maybe in time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

SpiderMan
06-01-2005, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2125883259&amp;idx=1

<hr /></blockquote>

Ok, that definitely proves you can take a joke. You have my blessing to continue "dishing it out". But please try not to get any on the next case, OK? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

SPetty
06-01-2005, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I just can't seem to get the hang of all this picture pasting stuff. <hr /></blockquote>Maybe ras314 can help you? Even he figured it out... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p2e6fbe7ec9d3addeb6c069184f50c26c/f3e24d15.jpg

Deeman2
06-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Spiderman,

Admit it. It's growing on you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SpiderMan
06-01-2005, 02:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Spiderman,

Admit it. It's growing on you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe it's growing in me. I'll try not to get it on me /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
06-01-2005, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I just can't seem to get the hang of all this picture pasting stuff. <hr /></blockquote>Maybe ras314 can help you? Even he figured it out... /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p2e6fbe7ec9d3addeb6c069184f50c26c/f3e24d15.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

What did I tell you? It's a spittin' image, couldn't be more lifelike if he'd sculpted it from a photo! I can see it now, DeeMan's larger-than-life Southpark action figure play set!

SpiderMan

ras314
06-01-2005, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2125883259&amp;idx=1

SPetty,

Sorry, I just can't seem to get the hang of all this picture pasteing stuff. Maybe in time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

OK try this:
view the image in imagestation...be sure it's the image, not the album.

Right click the image, then open Properities. Check that the Adress URL shows picture, not album in it, then copy it (the URL) to the clipboard. I highlight the url and use Ctrl c.

Start your post and click Image in the Instant UBB Code box. Paste the url in the box that opens. Notice you don't want two http://. I use Ctrl v to paste.

This is 31 KB on imagestation, reduced with Paint from about 300 KB

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/pf72f51950edc37ef5b783c7beef28842/f3e17952.jpg

For big downloads it's probly better to just paste the image url itself in the post to keep from slowing down CCB.

This one is about 471 KB on imagestation, for some reason it downloads a reduced resolution version.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p3ce0557537bc84a1d717e0de6aef8a81/f3e188d9.jpg

Both of those are from the front yard of my summer place.

HTH

Deeman2
06-02-2005, 06:01 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125883259

O.K , here's my next one. It is a PVC shell with brown textured leather. I have made a collar and diamond shapes as well as a handle from thick black leather. The top is made of wood covered with leather and will be attached with a hidden hinge. I will add a black leather hard pouch as well as a chalk dispenser. The bottom is a plywood base covered with leather. Not as inspiring as Mr. Hanky but faster to build and much lighter. It's a 3 by 6.

Deeman
I'll try Raz's direct image thing as soon as I get a few minutes.

Deeman2
06-02-2005, 06:08 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p31d06c314ef971003d956bc19ad7b0ff/f3dfb368.jpg

Did this work?

Deeman2
06-02-2005, 06:12 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p416910cdf58d5e6a6f580e30eea56d03/f3dfb36a.jpg

And this? The album has more pictures...

ras314
06-02-2005, 06:25 AM
I think you've got it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cheese_ball
06-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Dee,

What diameter tubing did you use for your case? I've been toying around with the idea of building my own for a couple days now...

Deeman2
06-02-2005, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> Dee,

What diameter tubing did you use for your case? I've been toying around with the idea of building my own for a couple days now... <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Cheese,

I used 4 inch for the outer shell, 1 &amp; 1/4 inch for the butt tubes and 3/4 inch for the shaft tubes. One nice thing about the 4 inch outer tube is in application of the spray-in insulation material. There is no mess to clean up, you only squirt it in from the ends. Once it sets up, you are in business.

The leather outer shell covering material is a little tricky but after cutting you glue it on and start adding trim. I am fortunate to have a lot of leather working and other tools. This case will cost about $50 to make with PVC, leather and hardware. The third one I am making is without a PVC outer shell but will be wrapped in thick Ostrisch leather, bought on the internet for $25 so it will cost about $15 more than this one. I have about six hours labor in each of the cases.

Don't use the heavy schedule 40 PVC, get the cheapo stuff as it is lighter.

Best of luck...

Deeman </font color>

cheese_ball
06-02-2005, 08:10 AM
Hey, thanks Dee! It doesn't look very hard to do... I want to make my own Mr. Hanky! JK! Have you explored any other possibilities for building materials? I think that wrapping the outside in a thin polyethylene shell would shave some size/weight and give a more sleek appearance. Pretty much any thin plastic sheet that retains strength upon flex would work... HDPE or LDPE. You could even use industrial shrink wrap!!! Well, I'll let you know how it goes... thanks again!

SPetty
06-02-2005, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> The album has more pictures... <hr /></blockquote>But I have to sign up and join and log in to see them, so I appreciate you posting the pics here.

Deeman2
06-02-2005, 09:52 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/pdff500390953e8a97c3b36ea0b6711bc/f3dfb36c.jpg

After this photo I lined the inside of the collar wiht another leather collar and attached a hinge to the top cap.

Deeman2
06-02-2005, 09:55 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/p8fdde3c17204d202074393bf74263083/f3dfb36e.jpg

I think that's about all I did of it.

Deeman

cheese_ball
06-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Dee-

I started my project last night... I was so excited about it, that when I left work, I immediately stopped at Home Depot for the PVC, and foam sealer. I grabbed a sheet of LDPE and some brown sow leather from work... I've got my form about half-complete... it's coming along rather nicely! The LDPE does wonders! It's half way between using the round PVC pipe for the outer shell, and Cane's method of using cardboard to make a form for the foam. The only drawback is that it will add some weight to the whole thing vs. removing the outer shell after spraying the foam inside. Does anyone have any more slick tricks for making the closing mechanism for the "lid?" I'm halfway tempted to try to install a heavy zipper closure like a Whitten or Giuseppe... any other ideas?

Deeman2
06-03-2005, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheese_ball:</font><hr> Dee-

I started my project last night... I was so excited about it, that when I left work, I immediately stopped at Home Depot for the PVC, and foam sealer. I grabbed a sheet of LDPE and some brown sow leather from work... I've got my form about half-complete... it's coming along rather nicely! The LDPE does wonders! It's half way between using the round PVC pipe for the outer shell, and Cane's method of using cardboard to make a form for the foam. The only drawback is that it will add some weight to the whole thing vs. removing the outer shell after spraying the foam inside. <font color="blue">Sounds like a good idea to me. </font color> Does anyone have any more slick tricks for making the closing mechanism for the "lid?" I'm halfway tempted to try to install a heavy zipper closure like a Whitten or Giuseppe... any other ideas? <font color="blue">On my first one I used two dowell pins and magnets, the scond is a leather hinge with a clasp in the opposite side. The next one I am planning will be s slipdown lid and have a couple of leather straps that will slide over small protrusions on the side of the case. After that, who knows?

You have to poist a picture of you progress like I am. NO guts, no glory....Good luck.</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman

Deeman2
06-06-2005, 06:36 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid172/p5bafad6e6992e835105fa106fe4e2c94/f3d0f5c7.jpg

Just a picture of the final case I finished this weekend. It holds 3butts and 4 shafts, has a chalk holder, a pouch at the bottom for accessories and a handle. It cost me $45 to make not counting my labor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just wanted to show it to those who will not make PettyPoint. I am now waiting on a special snakeskin for my next one although I have finished the shell. It will be a 2x4.

Deeman

Deeman2
06-06-2005, 06:39 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2125649648

Here are some more details of the case if you want to see them in an album.

Deeman

SpiderMan
06-06-2005, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid172/p5bafad6e6992e835105fa106fe4e2c94/f3d0f5c7.jpg

Just a picture of the final case I finished this weekend. It holds 3butts and 4 shafts, has a chalk holder, a pouch at the bottom for accessories and a handle. It cost me $45 to make not counting my labor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just wanted to show it to those who will not make PettyPoint. I am now waiting on a special snakeskin for my next one although I have finished the shell. It will be a 2x4.

I like this one. It looks like a case!

SpiderMan

Deeman2
06-06-2005, 07:39 AM
<hr /></blockquote>

I like this one. It looks like a case!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Yep, figures. That's about the only thing I don't like about it. Anyone can make one that looks "normal". Anyway, the next will look even more normal but will have that Deeman difference. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

Deeman

Deeman2
06-10-2005, 06:12 AM
O.K.

Here's the case I finished last night. It is a simple 1 x 1 with crocidile leather, a white diamond inlaid lizard skin with a rattlesnake trimed cap. I made this as a friend wanted a simple case for carrying his bar stick but wanted it one of a kind.

Deeman

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid172/p3166f3ae43956c6eb9a0fd789098f1af/f3c2e615.jpg

SpiderMan
06-10-2005, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> O.K.

Here's the case I finished last night. It is a simple 1 x 1 with crocidile leather, a white diamond inlaid lizard skin with a rattlesnake trimed cap. I made this as a friend wanted a simple case for carrying his bar stick but wanted it one of a kind.

Deeman

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid172/p3166f3ae43956c6eb9a0fd789098f1af/f3c2e615.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

Dee,

You're turning into a one-man production shop! Can you hang onto this one until Saturday night, so I can see it along with the larger case and that other thing?

SpiderMan

Deeman2
06-10-2005, 11:11 AM
I'll try. I may not see the guy before then anyway. I don't know for sure if I'll make the Saturday night thing as I just lost my job and am not sure what I'll be doing over the weekend.

If I come, I'll bring them. I'm waiting for some special leather to finish a few others I'm working on.

Deeman
not much to do now but look for work and make cases.... need any mechanical engineers at your place?

SPetty
06-10-2005, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>I don't know for sure if I'll make the Saturday night thing as I just lost my job and am not sure what I'll be doing over the weekend. <hr /></blockquote>C'mon Deeman. BTW - it's an all day deal, not just a Saturday night thing - I'll feed you free all day long! And you can even steal some hot dogs and stuff 'em in your pockets before you leave!

Really, if you can make it, I'd really like to see your cases as well. Even if you can't stay late enough for Spiderman to enjoy the cases, maybe you could stop by a little earlier while Tori's riding?

Deeman2
06-10-2005, 11:43 AM
SPetty,

You know I can't resist your food or hugs. I'll do my best to make it. I sure need a SPetty Hug this weekend...

Deeman

SpiderMan
06-10-2005, 11:55 AM
I wish we did. I'd recruit you for my 8-ball team.

SpiderMan

rukiddingme
06-11-2005, 08:47 AM
that 1x1 is gorgeous...
pm me when you get a chance with info on the case.
I'd like a custom case as well.
ruk

rukiddingme
06-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Deeman,
Sorry to hear about your job situation.
Try to make it to the "thing" this weekend and show off your creations. I think much good will come of it.
ruk

SPetty
05-12-2006, 08:38 AM
How important do y'all think it is to have the expanding foam compressed behind paper? Would it work just as well to glue the pipes together and then just add the expanding foam along the cracks and have it swell and then trim it to size?

And why remove the paper? Couldn't you just leave it there? And what about using plastic paper like mylar?

SpiderMan
05-12-2006, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> How important do y'all think it is to have the expanding foam compressed behind paper? Would it work just as well to glue the pipes together and then just add the expanding foam along the cracks and have it swell and then trim it to size?
<hr /></blockquote>

Susan,

I asked the same question in the original thread, and got this reply: http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=194522&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

Apparently Bob does it that way because his case would just be too skinny if things weren't spaced out.

SpiderMan

SPetty
05-12-2006, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> How important do y'all think it is to have the expanding foam compressed behind paper? Would it work just as well to glue the pipes together and then just add the expanding foam along the cracks and have it swell and then trim it to size?
<hr /></blockquote>I asked the same question in the original thread, and got this reply: http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=194522&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1<hr /></blockquote>Thanks for the response. Of course I reread the thread before I posted this question. Your question was slightly different in that it was asking about the space between the tubes and the cardboard. I'm asking about the foam compression/density factor.

If you put the same amount of expanding foam in an open area versus in a closed area (behind the cardboard), I would imagine that the density of the final material will be different.

And then the rest of my question is about how important it is to remove the paper/cardboard if you're forced to use it. Couldn't you just leave it in place?

It seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to simply spray the expanding foam into the cracks after glueing the tubes together and then cutting it down with a hacksaw resting on the tubes as guides to get a nicely shaped case.

SpiderMan
05-12-2006, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> How important do y'all think it is to have the expanding foam compressed behind paper? Would it work just as well to glue the pipes together and then just add the expanding foam along the cracks and have it swell and then trim it to size?
<hr /></blockquote>I asked the same question in the original thread, and got this reply: http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=194522&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1<hr /></blockquote>Thanks for the response. Of course I reread the thread before I posted this question. Your question was slightly different in that it was asking about the space between the tubes and the cardboard. I'm asking about the foam compression/density factor.

If you put the same amount of expanding foam in an open area versus in a closed area (behind the cardboard), I would imagine that the density of the final material will be different.

And then the rest of my question is about how important it is to remove the paper/cardboard if you're forced to use it. Couldn't you just leave it in place?

It seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to simply spray the expanding foam into the cracks after glueing the tubes together and then cutting it down with a hacksaw resting on the tubes as guides to get a nicely shaped case.
<hr /></blockquote>

One concern I might have, if no foam gets forced into the cracks between tubes (on a large case with many tubes), is that the "dry" tubes in the center might shift around. Also, depending on how good the adhesion is, I would wonder if dropping the case might crack the bond - and be less likely to do so if foam had been pressure-forced deeper into the pack.

I agree on the paper thing - it might be OK to leave it if the surface is exactly as you want. In Bob's assembly, he was spacing the cardboard away from the case to get additional thickness, so it might have been uneven and needed sanding down. If you built a cue case with the cardboard resting directly against the tubes, perhaps the shape would already be OK?

Deeman, what was your final process? And are you still building "Hankys"?

SpiderMan

SPetty
05-16-2006, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Would it work just as well to glue the pipes together and then just add the expanding foam along the cracks and have it swell and then trim it to size?
<hr /></blockquote> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>It seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to simply spray the expanding foam into the cracks after glueing the tubes together and then cutting it down with a hacksaw resting on the tubes as guides to get a nicely shaped case.<hr /></blockquote>Well, I tried this weekend. I am trying to simply glue the pipes together, then add the expanding foam around the outside in order to trim to size and have it perfectly shaped.

Well, the expanding foam doesn't want to stick to the pipes very well, so it didn't get all down in there. So I attempted to put some patch foam on. hahaha - doesn't work well - leaves big hollow spaces. I didn't realize how much I'd have to put on there to get "pipe-to-pipe" coverage of the space, so there are gaps between the foam and the pipes.

I think it could have worked if the pipes had been prepped to somehow accept the foam rather than to have it slide off, and if I had simply completely covered the thing rather than trying to stay in the gaps.

So to remedy it, I'm trying to figure out how to glue (and what glue to use) a big piece of poster board all around the tubes and foam.

I'm open to suggestions here... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
05-17-2006, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Would it work just as well to glue the pipes together and then just add the expanding foam along the cracks and have it swell and then trim it to size?
<hr /></blockquote> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>It seems to me that the easiest thing to do would be to simply spray the expanding foam into the cracks after glueing the tubes together and then cutting it down with a hacksaw resting on the tubes as guides to get a nicely shaped case.<hr /></blockquote>Well, I tried this weekend. I am trying to simply glue the pipes together, then add the expanding foam around the outside in order to trim to size and have it perfectly shaped.

Well, the expanding foam doesn't want to stick to the pipes very well, so it didn't get all down in there. So I attempted to put some patch foam on. hahaha - doesn't work well - leaves big hollow spaces. I didn't realize how much I'd have to put on there to get "pipe-to-pipe" coverage of the space, so there are gaps between the foam and the pipes.

I think it could have worked if the pipes had been prepped to somehow accept the foam rather than to have it slide off, and if I had simply completely covered the thing rather than trying to stay in the gaps.

So to remedy it, I'm trying to figure out how to glue (and what glue to use) a big piece of poster board all around the tubes and foam.

I'm open to suggestions here... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

I bet we'd love to see pictures of what you have so far. Might make us realize that Deeman's "Hankytube" case was less than intentional /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

SPetty
05-17-2006, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>I bet we'd love to see pictures of what you have so far. Might make us realize that Deeman's "Hankytube" case was less than intentional<hr /></blockquote>hahaha - yeah, I'm beginning to understand it a little more now! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The pictures I've taken during construction aren't really all that interesting. Nothing like a Hankytube! I've about decided I'm going to have just start over - pull out the foam I've already applied, and then wrap the posterboard around it with the paper clip spacers like Cane talked about, and then fill it and then cut it down. Learning from Dee that I'll need to cut off the poster board rather than peel it off since Pam doesn't work as a release agent...