PDA

View Full Version : Vivian Villarreal......

LARRY_BOY
05-26-2005, 08:32 AM
A lot of differnt opinions about Jeanette the last few days so the next question is wheather Vivian is a asset to the game or a liability.........in your own opinion of course.

9 Ball Girl
05-26-2005, 08:52 AM
My question to your question is what makes a player an asset or a liability? Things that make you go hmmmmm...

But, for what it's worth, I don't mind watching Vivian play. However, twice I saw her get distracted at something that happened in the audience and was verbal about it. I always thought that once you're at that level you don't let things shake you up or blame the rest of your match on the one thing. I've seen other players get distracted but still trudge on through. But then again, everyone deals with things in different ways.

A little off topic here since we seem to be talking about the women, when it comes to the guys, I absolutely LOVE watching Keith McCready play. Not just for his excellent play, but because of his personality. I scramble just to see him play. Some might find it annoying but that's just who he is and people like me love him for it. Another case in point is Earl Strickland. Lots of people complain about his poor sportsmanship and what not, but it's those very same people (not all) that watch him play because they're just waiting to see Earl blow a gasket.

I think it just boils down to the players fan base and who goes to see them play.

These are just my opinions, of course.

Rich R.
05-26-2005, 09:42 AM
TV coverage of pool needs to bring out more of the personalities of the players. I think Vivian, Jeanette and, of course, Keith are great to watch, whether on TV or in person. They all have strong personalities, yet, when their opponents are at the table, they are very respectful. They also are not abusive to their opponents.

I have to leave Earl off of this list because a lot of his antics are abusive to his opponents and could easily be considered "sharking". JMHO.

ras314
05-26-2005, 10:16 AM
Rich, I think the same way of all three. I also hear people complain that some players don't show enough emotion. Can't see how any of that can hurt the game.

Go to most any pool hall and listen to all the mouth and propositon bets while the other guy is shooting. Especially if they're playing 1p for decent money. Makes the TV tournament games look plum sterile.

ceebee
05-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Good Post RAS314,

I'd like to see some yow-yowing on TV, especially in Ring Games. I'd like to see a few 7-Speeds go at it for $10,000. Entertainment is always good, when lots of people can identify with the scenario being shown.

In Tulsa, at the Palace, there is always some yow-yowing in the Golf Games, One-Pocket Games & the 9-Ball Ring Games. I know the players & the audience get more enjoyment from this venue or they wouldn't play or watch the game.

The one thing I don't like is the "Scowling Game Face" on the players on TV, that to me is far too dramatic. They are supposed to be having fun. Having fun is the bright side of our chosen game.

As for Vivian, I enjoy watching her play, she is a good competitor & she interfaces with the paying audience. However, I too have seen her give up when things don't go her way. If she ever overcomes that, she'll be tougher than she is.

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2005, 11:13 AM
I'll tune in for Vivian, Jeanette or most anyone besides Corr and Fisher much quicker for entertainment viewing. Sterile is a good word...sid

LARRY_BOY
05-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Lots of people complain about his poor sportsmanship and what not, but it's those very same people (not all) that watch him play because they're just waiting to see Earl blow a gasket.(quote)

Lets face it professional pool players are entertainers and people pay to be entertained. It doesn't matter if it is Dennise Rodmen or Mike Tison they all work in the entertainment industry. Some seem to cause friction but that just makes there performance hotter.......jmho.

ras314
05-26-2005, 12:41 PM
I played Vivian a couple games in one of those charity things. First rack I break, wing ball drops and everything is out in the open. About half way thru the rack she walks up and says "just go ahead and run the whole thing then" sounded a little miffed. Well ok, so I was showing off a little and instead of shooting a simple easy shot for position on the next ball I tried a two rail bank in the side pocket that didn't quite go. What does Vivian do? Shoots a fairly difficult como on the nine.

Next rack wasn't so open and was more saftey play than offensive and I finally wound up with almost the same shot on the nine as I'd missed the previous rack. Drilled the two rail bank that time and I think the whole room heard her squall "NOT THAT WAY!".

I would rather play her than anyone, she is fun. And a whole lot better player than me, suspect I just blindsided her a bit that night.

Scott Lee
05-26-2005, 01:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr>

Lets face it professional pool players are entertainers and people pay to be entertained. It doesn't matter if it is Dennise Rodmen or Mike Tison they all work in the entertainment industry. Some seem to cause friction but that just makes there performance hotter.......jmho.
<hr /></blockquote>

I have to disagree with you here. I am an entertainer, Mike Massey is an entertainer, Dr. Cue is an entertainer.
What you're talking about is an athlete with an "attitude".
How that is perceived by the public, goes a long way in determining their 'acceptance' as such. Rodman and Tyson are perfect examples. The majority of people who know who these two athletes are, do NOT respect them, nor care for the way they act. Interesting to note that neither of them are much in the news anymore. Rodman seems to have toned down his antics, and Tyson can't even get a fight (of course, who would WANT to fight someone who will bite off your ear to try to win! LOL). As far as people paying to see this kind of behavior, especially in pool...we can't even get poolplayers to pay much to watch the men pros. Far more fans pay to watch the women play...go figure! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif jmo

Scott Lee

Deeman2
05-26-2005, 01:26 PM
Scott:

I would pay to see Earl bite off Jennette's ear. I mean, wouldn't you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Hell, I'd sell the tickets. I know Spiderman would buy one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deeman
"I Love You, George!"

LARRY_BOY
05-26-2005, 01:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Scott:

I would pay to see Earl bite off Jennette's ear. I mean, wouldn't you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Hell, I'd sell the tickets. I know Spiderman would buy one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Deeman
"I Love You, George!" <hr /></blockquote>

Make it Jeanette and Jenifer and I'm in....... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif