PDA

View Full Version : Draw shot

Drop1
05-26-2005, 06:20 PM
A week ago,I could not draw the cue ball two inches. Last night, at the American Legieon, using my ooh wha ritual,I drew that sucker two feet back,and half way to the other side of the table. I can actually do a decent draw for position...Thanks Bob,and thanks Scott Lee /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy_Bob
05-27-2005, 07:50 AM
Now practice, practice, practice drawing the cue ball back different distances. It comes in really handy to be able to draw the cue ball back 1/2 diamond, or 1 diamond, or 2, or 3, etc. at will.

It took me two months of daily practice to learn to draw, then about a year to learn to draw back specific distances and be consistent at it. And this is just with the cue ball close to the object ball (one to two diamonds away). Object ball further away of course changes everything.

And so far as cloth speed, part of my warm-up is to practice draw about 6 times on a table I will be playing a tournament on. Then I get the "feel" (speed) of the table.

This skill is a tournament winner for me. Being able to draw the cue ball back just the right amount can mean I will be able to continue a run. In some situations too little draw will not work and too much draw will not work (lots of other balls in way in these situations).

And I may only need to do this once or twice during a tournament. But when I need it, I need it!

Also being able to follow specific distances comes in quite handy - no one practices this, but it is very easy to learn and do. Follow 1 diamond, 2 diamonds, 3 diamonds, etc.

I frequently see players shooting a fairly straight in shot along the long rail with CB and OB at one end of table - shooting to far corner pocket. They need to leave the CB near the center pocket or at the other end of the table for their next shot, but the CB stops where OB was. Is is easy to get the CB to follow the OB and stop at the center pockets or travel all the way down table and stop. Just takes daily practice is all.

Cane
05-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Steve,
Great! Now, don't do like me and get pumped up during a game and draw a ball twice the table length! Adrenaline is a mean thing to a pool player! Seriously, now that you've got the draw down, that means your stroke is coming together nicely and that your finishing well. Keep working on it and you'll soon be able to walk the rock anywhere you want it.

Later,
Bob

Cueless Joey
05-27-2005, 11:19 AM
A pendulum stroke, loose wrist and no-elbow drop follow through works for me.