PDA

View Full Version : Efren's cue on e-bay

pooltchr
05-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Just thought any fans or cue collectors might be interested in this item on e-bay. I have seen the cue in person, and it is gorgeous!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1292&item=71595016 56&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Steve

catscradle
05-27-2005, 04:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Just thought any fans or cue collectors might be interested in this item on e-bay. I have seen the cue in person, and it is gorgeous!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=1292&amp;item=71595016 56&amp;rd=1&amp;ssPageName=WDVW

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Hmmmm, Efren returned it, not a ringing endorsement for Predator. I'd hardly call it the cue Efren used either since the description sounds like he tried it and rejected it pretty quickly.

pooltchr
05-27-2005, 04:58 AM
I don't know why it was returned. Possibly for sponsorship reasons.

catscradle
05-27-2005, 05:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> I don't know why it was returned. Possibly for sponsorship reasons. <hr /></blockquote>

I think we can safely say that if they weren't giving him anything but a cue there is no way he'd use it. I'm sure he could play with it, I'm also sure he could play with a cue that squirts like a leaky garden hose.

Sid_Vicious
05-27-2005, 05:13 AM
Ad says the tip is very hard and then says it is an Elkmaster soaked in milk. WTF didnt the installer start with something other than an EM to begin with???sid

tateuts
05-27-2005, 05:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ad says the tip is very hard and then says it is an Elkmaster soaked in milk. WTF didnt the installer start with something other than an EM to begin with???sid <hr /></blockquote>

Sid,

Efren only plays with an Elkmaster - got that from a cue guy who did tips for him.

Chris

Rich R.
05-27-2005, 05:59 AM
I find the ebay posting very disturbing.

They list the cue as; "You can own EFREN REYES' 1-of-a-Kind Predator Pool Cue!"

The fact of the matter is that Efren gave it a trial and gave it back. No matter why he returned it, it was never "his" cue. It is nothing more than a cue that he used, for a very short time.

catscradle
05-27-2005, 06:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Ad says the tip is very hard and then says it is an Elkmaster soaked in milk. WTF didnt the installer start with something other than an EM to begin with???sid <hr /></blockquote>
I've heard of that before. Anybody really know what the milk bath is supposed to do to the tip (other than draw the neighborhood cats)?

wolfdancer
05-27-2005, 06:36 AM
Sid, if I'm reading the ad right...it says the tip on the cue is hard...unexpectedly so...because Efran normally uses an Elkmaster.
Maybe that's one of the reasons why, he didn't like the cue.

SpiderMan
05-27-2005, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I find the ebay posting very disturbing.

The fact of the matter is that Efren gave it a trial and gave it back. No matter why he returned it, it was never "his" cue. It is nothing more than a cue that he used, for a very short time.
<hr /></blockquote>
Good summary. This cue is no more special than ones that might be produced if Efren set up a booth to "autograph" cues by hitting a ball with each of them.

SpiderMan

Eric.
05-27-2005, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> I find the ebay posting very disturbing.

<hr /></blockquote>
Good summary. This cue is no more special than ones that might be produced if Efren set up a booth to "autograph" cues by hitting a ball with each of them.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

To add, it's not like that was the cue that Efren won the US Open with, or any title, for that matter.

Eric

sneakypapi
05-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Basically, it seems like it was an experimental cue. I would say Efren gets plenty of cues to try out, but a low deflection shaft is something that will not help a great player, his game is already developed and he could probably play with almost any cue within reason of course. I am curious if he was obligated to return the cue or he just hated it so much he had to get it off his hands LOL. None the less the cue is just a modified 3k7 model nothing special just that it touched the hands of Efren.

Cueless Joey
05-27-2005, 11:09 AM
The acid in the milk penetrates the leather to soften it for the vise to compress.
Right now, Efren is actually shooting with an ebony Judd with ivory points with Sniper tip.
Efren doesn't like low-deflection shafts.
This cue, I bought from Efren on Feb, 2003.
It's made by David Lindsay in the Philippines.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/joeyincali/EFR.jpg

tateuts
05-27-2005, 04:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The acid in the milk penetrates the leather to soften it for the vise to compress.
Right now, Efren is actually shooting with an ebony Judd with ivory points with Sniper tip.
<hr /></blockquote>

I just got an e-mail from someone who knows that Efren switched to a Sniper over a year ago. Darn, now I have to switch too just when I was getting used to Elkmasters smothered in milk!

Marlon Manolo was just in town here with Filipino Danny and he was playing with a cue that looked exactly like the Efren Predator they are selling. The design can't be "one-of-a-kind".

Chris

Popcorn
05-27-2005, 05:09 PM
I am no chemist but if that is the case you would have to get raw milk from a farm. It may be the lactic acid that is being referred to, if that is the case you would be better off soaking the tip in yogurt.

Cueless Joey
05-27-2005, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I am no chemist but if that is the case you would have to get raw milk from a farm. It may be the lactic acid that is being referred to, if that is the case you would be better off soaking the tip in yogurt. <hr /></blockquote>
Well, since Efren can give the orange crush and the breaks, I'm not going to argue with him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cueless Joey
05-27-2005, 05:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> The acid in the milk penetrates the leather to soften it for the vise to compress.
<hr /></blockquote>

I just got an e-mail from someone who knows that Efren switched to a Sniper over a year ago. Darn, now I have to switch too just when I was getting used to Elkmasters smothered in milk!

Marlon Manolo was just in town here with Filipino Danny and he was playing with a cue that looked exactly like the Efren Predator they are selling. The design can't be "one-of-a-kind".

Chris
<hr /></blockquote>
Danny Petralba?
If it's Danny P, ( skinny dude with a marvelous stroke but has an ugly 17 oz. cue ) tell him I said hello.
Call him BUY when talking to him. Buy means bud in his native tounge.

tateuts
05-27-2005, 05:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
Danny Petralba?
If it's Danny P, ( skinny dude with a marvelous stroke but has an ugly 17 oz. cue ) tell him I said hello.
Call him BUY when talking to him. Buy means bud in his native tounge. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, that's my Danny. I'll let him know you said "Hi". You ought to come out to the valley and see us once in a while.

Chris

Cueless Joey
05-27-2005, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr>
Danny Petralba?
Call him BUY when talking to him. Buy means bud in his native tounge. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, that's my Danny. I'll let him know you said "Hi". You ought to come out to the valley and see us once in a while.

Chris
<hr /></blockquote>
You mean there are still pool places left out there? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Too bad Efren did not move out there and open a pool place.
There's still hope though.
I might see Danny and the gang at HT next Sunday.
I hope they find some road kill.

Popcorn
05-27-2005, 05:51 PM
You know I am thinking about this and casein glues are made from milk protein, maybe it is the milk protein that hardens the tip.

tateuts
05-27-2005, 07:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> You know I am thinking about this and casein glues are made from milk protein, maybe it is the milk protein that hardens the tip. <hr /></blockquote>

No milk for my tips. I just glue the EM on and keep working it down by tapping it with a file, playing for awhile, shaping the sides, etc. It takes about 30 minutes but they get plenty hard after they mushroom twice and hold their shape really well after that. My tip then lasts 6 - 8 months with very little maintainence.

I have a Sniper tip on another shaft. I liked the tip a lot but not the shaft. It plays similar to a hardened EM, gives a nice hit and holds chalk better than most, so i can see why Efren went to the Sniper.

Chris

sneakypapi
05-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Quote Cueless Joey:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The acid in the milk penetrates the leather to soften it for the vise to compress.
__________________________________________________ ________

I typically soak my tips in Beer, nothing like a drunk and happy tip =)