PDA

View Full Version : Wannabees to Can Doers..

06-09-2002, 10:08 AM
Folks, my post about the WANNABEES & the MAGIC WANDS was meant to get people thinking. Just about any one of the players, that fit the scenario I described, would give up a great deal to be a good 8-10 speed. BUT the deal has to fit one criteria.. it has to be instantaneous. It ain't gonna happen.
Bowlers that roll the ball in the gutter most of the evening, after a little time passes, they won't even drive by the Bowling Alley. The same goes for Golfers, Pool Players & just about any activity. Hey, I'm for buying nice equipment & I'm damn glad it's there for the purchase.
My point is this >>>> A few lessons are necessary for most of us. A couple of Instructional Books or a Video Series will work wonders. I played on & off for 40 years & never studied the Diamond System for an example, but I never made it to a be a good 6 Speed either. One summer of study with 5 GOOD BOOKS, a GREAT VIDEO SERIES & I rocketed to be a good 7-8 Speed in 6 months. I've won several High Dollar Tournaments & a State Championship. I'm 60 years old & have to wear thick glsses. Imagine what some of you young folks can do with your youth & good eyesight...JUST IMAGINE! And don't wait 35 years to do it...

06-09-2002, 11:14 AM
Hello Bystander,
I agree with you about the whole lesson theory. At first I thought your original post was going to be another knock on Predator, which would have sucked. (they're not for everyone, as it does require some thought and intelligence to use them) I think you'll find that if you took a poll of the folks on this board, you'd find that the money they spend on equipment pales in comparison to the money they spend on lessons and practice time. Well, except for a very small number of custom cue collectors, that is. I myself have purchased only three cues in the past six or seven years (Predator 1st edition, Predator 2, and Predator BK) and I waited almost six years in between the first and second purchases. But the money I've spent on lessons and practice time.....well, lets just say I could probably own another house. What the hell, I can only live in one at a time, right?

PQQLK9
06-11-2002, 09:32 AM
Point well taken Bystander...personally I have just about every Video and Instruction Book on the market plus lessons from Pros and BCA Instructors...and every game for me is still a struggle...by the way I've got you by one year and I am picking up my new glasses this week...After I walk in a room with my Leather Insroke 3x5 Cowboy full of goodies it all goes downhill from there....I LOVE THIS GAME!

cheesemouse
06-12-2002, 06:12 AM
bystander,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Folks, my post about the WANNABEES &amp; the MAGIC WANDS was meant to get people thinking. Just about any one of the players, that fit the scenario I described, would give up a great deal to be a good 8-10 speed. BUT the deal has to fit one criteria.. it has to be instantaneous. It ain't gonna happen.<hr></blockquote>

This has been my experience while giving free lessons. they want the magic bullet and they want it now. Like you said It ain't gonna happen. I am happy to say that once I started charging for lessons it became a more rewarding experience for both. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif There is no magic bullet.