PDA

View Full Version : Mental Game

jerrodbottini
05-27-2005, 10:51 AM
I am having alot of problems with my mental game, I find myself getting destracted when I am down on shots sometimes. Do you know of any tips to help with this problem? Books, Breathing, Yoga,
Thanks Jerrod

bsmutz
05-27-2005, 11:46 AM
See the post concerning the pause at the end of the backstroke. Incorporate this into your shot routine and you should see an improvement in concentration. It's hard to do this consistently when you are playing against someone else, so if you don't practice by yourself, I would suggest doing that as much as possible for awhile to really ingrain the preshot routine into your psyche. It's amazing to watch yourself on video after you have practiced all of the preshot routine steps (approaching the shot, getting into your stance, stroking a preset number of times, pausing before the final back stroke, pausing at the end of the final back stroke, following through, and freezing). If you are not doing these steps already, make a video of how you shoot now and do another later. It will open your eyes! Even without the video, you'll see your consistency improve dramatically. As far as concentration goes, I found that the mental attitude of "I am not going to 'play' pool any longer, I am going to make the most of every opportunity to pocket a ball (or shoot a shot, as your goal isn't always to pocket a ball)" helps quite a bit. If it is outside distractions, shoot with earphones and blinders. If it is internal distractions (i.e. your brain not shutting up when you need it to), then practicing the yoga techniques of concentrating on your breathing or chanting a mantra to help quiet your mind will help. I find that clearing my mind and concentrating on the aim spot on the rail or object ball during the pause on the final backstroke works really well for me. YMMV.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-27-2005, 11:50 AM
I like Phil Cappelle's book "A Mind For Pool"

Cane
05-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Go check out the "Pleasures of Small Motions" post. There are several books on there recommended concerning the mental game. Honestly, a lot of people who lose concentration, do so because they don't have a set "preshot" and "shooting" routine that they do every time. Get those consistent and your game will become more consistent.

Later,
Bob

Voodoo Daddy
05-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Art of War by Sun Zu and The Inner Book of Tennis <out of print but findable>. Tunnel Vision is not a hard concept though it is very difficult to teach. The student needs alot of control over their senses. Once its achieved and as long as the mechanics are in order, dead stroke isnt far behind...good luck

catscradle
05-27-2005, 12:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Art of War by Sun Zu and The Inner Book of Tennis &lt;out of print but findable&gt;. Tunnel Vision is not a hard concept though it is very difficult to teach. The student needs alot of control over their senses. Once its achieved and as long as the mechanics are in order, dead stroke isnt far behind...good luck <hr /></blockquote>

Voodoo (I figured that was better than VD for short),
What is the nature of the "Art of War" that it applies to the mental side of pool?

Voodoo Daddy
05-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Cats...the method of direction, reward from conquering your enemy and the way the overall plan weakens the opposition...but that may have been perception. The lady that I instruct now has a full understanding of the Art of War and will show it as her table maturity unfolds. Its a must read IMO, but who am I?

Barbara
05-27-2005, 01:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> The lady that I instruct now has a full understanding of the Art of War and will show it as her table maturity unfolds. Its a must read IMO, but who am I? <hr /></blockquote>

If your lady is ready for battle, don't forget I have 3 State Championships coming up that are all open to the WPBA Touring Pros...

Karen Corr's the Defending Champion of the NJ State event in July... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara

Drop1
05-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Ok,here is what I do,and my concetration is like a cat watching a dog. I do all the stuff all the book,videos,and intructors say to do. While I walk to the table I read the balls,and decide the shot,and all I think about is the shot..Then I do one thing extra,I have two syllables I say softly,as I adjust my aim,and focus on the object ball.This gives me full concetration on the object ball. The syllables are like a mantra one on the back stroke,and the other at the moment,of the stroke forward. I use "ooh" on the draw back,and "wah' on the forward stroke. If you do this you will have no problem with distraction. Try it.

DickLeonard
05-30-2005, 12:17 PM
Voodoo Daddy

Here was my recipe for playing my best in tournaments,a full stomach of pasta and short breaths and exhale in the same time. I learned that playing against the Babe in Hudson. When I played in the Salt Cit in Syracuse I used it against Cisero Murphy and Ron Cailleo and had the same results. ####