PDA

View Full Version : Billard parlors

Drop1
05-27-2005, 06:23 PM
A lot of people in the forum are involved in pool,as a business.My question is what is the biggest reason pool halls belly up? I mean besides the fact no one shows up when its open. Excuse my spelling, I went to school in California. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mavis
05-27-2005, 09:16 PM
The people who do show up don't have any money.

Drop1
05-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Mavis,
I think you are as good as I'm going to get. Love the humor.

PQQLK9
05-28-2005, 02:35 AM
So many Rooms fall short with customer sevice and treat people like crap or just plain indifference. They act as though they are doing you a favor by letting you in.
How many times have you heard this ..."Thanks for coming, I hope everything was OK, please come again." ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stretch
05-28-2005, 05:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> So many Rooms fall short with customer sevice and treat people like crap or just plain indifference. They act as though they are doing you a favor by letting you in.
How many times have you heard this ..."Thanks for coming, I hope everything was OK, please come again." ? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Lot's, the winner usually say's that to me. lol

Wally_in_Cincy
05-28-2005, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> So many Rooms fall short with customer sevice and treat people like crap <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. Room owners have to understand these days people have many, many options of where to spend their money and they are not going to go someplace where they are disrespected. I have 3 pretty good pool halls within 20 minutes drive.

Another reason for pool hall failure could be failure to maintain the equipment. I think it was popcorn that said once "I love having the tables re-covered. That means they are getting used" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Billy_Bob
05-28-2005, 06:18 AM
I read in a book from the 1800's that a successful billiard room will have well maintained equipment. And that poorly maintained equipment will mean little or no customers.

I think this is still good advice.

Fran Crimi
05-28-2005, 06:20 AM
The same reasons any other business fails. Poor business planning, poor management, lack of understanding of your customer base, no marketing strategy. You need a certain amount of creative thinking to keep your business going. I've seen so many people mistakenly think that all they have to do is open their doors and the people will just keep coming.

There was a boom here in NY back in the early 90's where everyone wanted to open a pool room. The funniest thing was that they were putting in these huge wall-to-wall pastry display counters, as if pastries were going to attract customers. Most of them went out of business in a couple of years.

I never associated canoles with pool, and I'm Italian. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Perhaps that money would have been better served paying the staff a little more and demanding courteousness to customers.

Fran

ceebee
05-28-2005, 09:10 AM
the fellow that owns the Pool Hall, in my small town, is only interested in 2 things. Renting you a spot to bang balls &amp; selling you some beer.

If you went to the bowling alley &amp; you threw the bowling ball in the gutter everytime you tried, very soon you would not even drive by the bowling alley. You will have developed a distaste for bowling. However, if you threw strikes, the owner would probably have to throw you out of the place, so he could close up.

If the Pool Room owners would show some interest in their customer's game, their customer's behavior &amp; the cleanliness of their Pool Room, the Pool Room owner might have a nicer place, more customers &amp; a great stable of League Players.

People like to have fun doing what they do. The better they play, the more fun they have. People like clean homes &amp; clean places of business. A Pool Hall with good tables &amp; comfortable chairs is very important. Customers of quality is very important too.

My Pool Hall has become a teenager hangout. The bathrooms are a mess, the floors are dirty, the tables are dirty &amp; the kids stack themselves 3 deep against the wall. They just hangout, they don't buy anything, except drugs in the alley. They talk filthy, they act stupid &amp; they have no manners or regard for any body else.

There are only 6 players that come to my Pool Hall anymore, very soon there will only be 5, I am moving to another town. When the cops shut the place down, because of alcohol or drug charges, the kids will scatter like a covey of quail &amp; the Pool Hall will be no more.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-28-2005, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr> ...If the Pool Room owners would show some interest in their customer's game, .... <hr /></blockquote>

When I first started playing, I found out one of the owners offered free lessons on Tuesday night. I showed up but the owner didn't, offering some lame excuse, so I never bothered to ask again.

When I was going in there 4 or 5 days a week practicing by myself in the back room the other owner would walk by and say something like "you should be a champ by now". Maybe he thought he was being friendly but I didn't appreciate it.

The place is not doing nearly as well now for various reasons, but I know folks who don't go in there because of something smart one of the owners had said.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>
My Pool Hall has become a teenager hangout. The bathrooms are a mess, the floors are dirty, the tables are dirty &amp; the kids stack themselves 3 deep against the wall. They just hangout, they don't buy anything, except drugs in the alley. They talk filthy, they act stupid &amp; they have no manners or regard for any body else.... <hr /></blockquote>

Michael's in Fairfield had a lot of kids years ago but it has changed and is much better now. I would not go in there when all those kids were there. I would rather play in a tavern than deal with that.

Nostroke
05-28-2005, 10:28 AM
There was even one in Queens that had (in the middle) a circular Italian Ice Cream Counter with at least 20 different flavors of Italian Ice Cream (Gelato?).

Tom_In_Cincy
05-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Wow Wally, you brought back some memories with those comments about the two room owners.
How they continued to make money in spite of their 'less than friendly' approach to their customes, surprized a lot of us regulars.
I still miss the players and great friends from that place.

MacGyver
05-31-2005, 02:31 AM
I just had an interesting experience I'd like to share:

I live and play in a suburb of St. Louis(pretty high pop, a big area) and the only 3 pool halls that are close have comparable prices and quality.

The local tables all had old discoloured felt that had many worn spots, the pool hall is nearly always very poorly lit (only a small table light but you can't even see the tip of your cue unless you hold it over the table and under the table light) and smokey, There are no chairs but just high bar stools along the wall. And they only provide very cheap plastic racks that bend easily. All the tables were cloth/leather/plastic pockets, and the balls were usually yellowish or chipped.

The local places charge a bit less, but often seems to round based on whim and usually to the half-hour. The waitresses ask what you want to drink(not if) and service takes awhile.

ANYWAY, the reason for posting this was I just came back from a small out of town trip to central Illinois around the University of Illinois campus, and happened upon a pizzeria + Billiard parlor.

Inside I was very suprised!

It was very well lit(I could see my tip to see if it was chalked), fans and I am assuming air purifiers because the air was very clean even with people smoking. The felt was nice and new on all the tables, there were chairs to sit on with backs, the service was great and they had great food. They had nice quality wooden racks, the balls were extremely white and new, and all the tables returned the balls automatically to one end.

Finally when I checked out I had been there for 1h 52 minutes and I was charged for exactly those 112 minutes and not a minute over.

The prices were comparable to the ones back home, and even though they were a tad more(about a dollar), I would certaintly goto this place over any of the other local pool halls.

Just my 2 cents and what I enjoyed and dislike about the different pool halls(And I am a beginner, so these are first impressions really).

SplinterHands
05-31-2005, 05:34 AM
The pool halls that try to make money on pool will fail. You have to have a successful bar, good atmoshere, attractive employees and good location to survive.

1pRoscoe
05-31-2005, 05:46 AM
I think one of the biggest key factors is the owner attitude.

Several months ago, I was playing in the weekly Sunday 9ball tournament at the PH that I have been going to for about 7 yrs. I usually went there 4-5 times a week, and spent on average $15-$20 a day, usually on beer, food, etc.

Anyways, the place has come on some hard times (because of the owner driving people away), and due to this being a tournament, I was drinking water. There were only about 15-20 people in the place total at this time, and only 2-3 people had water.

The owner was standing about 3 feet from me and saw that I had water. He looked around and saw one or two others with the same. There was no music at the time, and he literally YELLED out "You know, this will probably be the last (expletive) tournament that I have because I have these things for you (expletive) to come in here and drink!! Not all this water (expletive)..."

Needless to say, I haven't been back. I have started going to another place, that is actually nicer, and it's funny how well I am treated there....

I give the place as previously mentioned less than one year to remain in business.

catscradle
05-31-2005, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SplinterHands:</font><hr> The pool halls that try to make money on pool will fail. You have to have a successful bar, good atmoshere, attractive employees and good location to survive. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree, but consider that unfortunate.