PDA

View Full Version : Break Cues?

UTAddb
05-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey guys, haven't been around in a while. I know there have been discussions before but I like to stay up to date. What are the best break cues around? I hear good things about the sledgehammer, does it only come in the jump break? I would doubt it jumps as well as a Lucasi. Does the predator BK just have a leather tip?
Thanks

ryushen21
05-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Good to see that you are still alive. As far as break cues on the market at the moment, My fav is the Jerico Thumper or the sledge. With the thumper you have to be really good at not getting any english on your break. The sledgehammer is a little more forgiving. Both of them are excellent jump cues as well and i would say that they both jump as good or better than the Lucasi.

So are you gonna make it to the chili cookoff at Spetty's Place. You have no reason not to make it.

disturbed_won
05-29-2005, 02:47 PM
I use Cuetec cues i have used all other cues that i can think of production wise and i have over all liked Cuetecs and I use a Cuetec J/B and it works flawlessly....

Rip
05-29-2005, 04:04 PM
The Sledgehammer jumps better for me than my Lucasi jumper and as good as the Stealth jump stick. I really don't know why I have the Sledgehammer since I don't need a break cue for playing 1 Pocket and jump sticks are not allowed where I play anyway!
If anyone wants a great deal on a like new Sledgehammer, PM me!
Have a safe holiday weekend,
Rip

SPetty
05-29-2005, 07:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr>If anyone wants a great deal on a like new Sledgehammer, PM me!<hr /></blockquote>Like you couldn't have said that when I was standing next to you with money burning a hole in my pocket??!? Geez... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

UTAddb
05-29-2005, 07:18 PM
Yeah, I'll be at SPetty's and will be ready to eat some chili.

cueball1950
05-29-2005, 08:55 PM
well i use an older "Biaggio" 21oz sneaky pete to break with. and friends that have the so-called break cues keep offering me money for it. They are no longer made. I love the wy it feels and i love the balance............mike

PQQLK9
05-30-2005, 02:31 AM
web page (https://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_break.php?sid=34f567e1f2ac053e415e2672b7e1a 73a) Try this link for an independent evaluation.
I use the Fury J/B and the jump portion jumps better than my Lucasi and yes the Predator BK does come with a leather tip.

mworkman
05-30-2005, 05:53 AM
I use a cuetech jump/break. I added a phenolic tip and it jumps like a champ. I also didn't like how slippery it was so I sprayed clear poly over the wrap area and now it has a leathery feel to it.

Sid_Vicious
05-30-2005, 06:05 AM
UTAddb...You are fortunate in that Jerry is local. I've hit with his Thumper, jumped with it, and it is superb! I never tried the Sledgehammer but I can't imagine that it works as well as the Thumper. I was amazed at how it hopped. Most JB cues only do one of the two jobs well, this one does both very, very well. Get over to Dallas sometime and we'll find ya a player with one for a test drive. You'll see...sid

littleCajun
05-31-2005, 08:15 AM
Jerry's new break cue the "Stinger" is far better than his thumper. It breaks like a train and jumps like a rabbit.

Sid_Vicious
05-31-2005, 09:40 AM
Sounds interesting, but the suggested retail will probably keep my arsenal without the Stinger today. I'll ask to hit with one when I get a chance though...sid

ceebee
06-08-2005, 02:04 PM
I use a Predator BK as a trial jump cue for my BreakRAK presentations... People really like that cue.

My good friend John Parker is making some new Break Cues &amp; they are very good. The shaft is 13.5 in diameter &amp; has a break curve taper (some real column strength). The cues weigh in at 18oz, but a threaded weight bolt is available. I might have one at Petty's Chili Cook Off.

BigRigTom
06-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I use a Scorpion Break Jump Cue and it was OK, I kinda liked it then I (just this past weekend) had the stock tip replaced with a PHENOLIC TIP and WOW! SHAAZAAAM! It is like magic! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I am amazed the difference it made and when I break now it is like tossing a grenade into the rack.
In otherwords I like it a LOT NOW!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AmazingBrewdini
06-08-2005, 06:52 PM
I have a Predator BK and a McDermott Break/Jump. Both have had phenolic tips installed. I gotta say I like the McDermott better. Breaks hard as all hell and works very well as a jumper as well.

I think my next break cue will be a Jerico. I like their jump cue also. Heard good things about 'em.

I would never willingly go back to leather tips on break or jump cues. Sorry, gotta have my phenolic! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Stick
06-08-2005, 09:38 PM
My sledgehammer works great, especially for jumping. I like the jump\break models, especially since sometimes I like to use a soft break. No sense in using a fancy stick with the soft break. Jumping is fantastic though. I fully expect to hit 80% of the balls I jump for, and plan on making a good amount of those as well.

It sounds like almost everyone agrees that phenolic is the way to go.... let's hope they do not ban it anytime soon (I have been hearing rumours), which would be wrong in my opinion. The phenolic tip definately gives an edge in jumping, but few things are as exciting as a great jump shot. I am sure that does wonders for TV ratings. As for the advantage during the break, I think it is a little less clear, and the use of things like the Sardo rack have improved peoples break far more than the phenolic tip.

-Stick

rocky
06-09-2005, 05:30 AM
It amazes me how many people use a jump break cue. They are a terrible combination. The dynamics of what makes a good jump cue and what makes a good break cue are completely different.

cheese_ball
06-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Rocky-

While this may be true (in fact I've never used a good jump section from a j/b cue), these are popular for convenience. I own a j/b cue, AND a seperate jumper. It's just not always worth pulling out the jumper if I have a long jump for example. It's much easier to remove the 3rd piece of my combo. Also, how many accomplished players do you know that use a jump cue very often? It is by far worse odds than being able to kick! NEVER GIVE UP THE ROCK!!!