PDA

View Full Version : Final Call: CCB Chili CookOff

SPetty
05-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Hello Fellow CCBers,

Now that everyone's back from their respective pool "nationals", here's a reminder: It's less than four weeks until the PettyPoint CCB Chili CookOff and Tamale Eating and Pool Playing Weekend! It's coming up quickly on the weekend of June 25. It's a good excuse to get away for the weekend! (older thread (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=npr&Number=190841&page=1&v iew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1))

If you are thinking about coming, it's time to let me know and start finalizing your plans.

<font color="orange">Confirmed Entrants</font color>:<ul type="square"> Spiderman - Spiderman's Pretty Good Chili
Deeman - Memphis Beale Street Sweet Chili
ras314 - New Mexico Chili (warm)
ryushen21 - Special Ingredient "X" Mexican Chili
9 Ball Girl - New Yawk Canned Chili
ceebee - CB's Chili Meat Loaf
stroker - Rocky Mountain Venison Chili
PoolFool - "Who's Finger Is It" Chili? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif [/list]
<font color="orange">Confirmed Judges</font color>:<ul type="square"> Chopstick
Cane
Sid_Vicious
UTAddb
poolturtle [/list]
<font color="orange">Unconfirmed Maybes</font color>: (Please let me know) <ul type="square"> Eric.(NY) - New York Strip Steak Chili (really, Susie and Tori will make great pals)
caedos &amp; littleCajun - Spicy Cajun Chili
griffith_d
1pRoscoe - Eurowest Cues (sponsors CarolNYC) [/list]

&gt;&gt;&gt; Now, who's planning on spending the night what days? <font color="red">Let me know!</font color>, or you might not get a bed. These are the ONLY ones I KNOW about (maybe it won't be as crowded as I thought!):
ras314 - Friday &amp; Saturday
9 Ball Girl - Friday &amp; Saturday

Just a reminder:
Plan to bring your chili in your own crock pot or heating device of your choice. Bring your drinks in your own cooler with plenty of ice and plenty of drinks.

As for the Friday night real Texas bar (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=npr&amp;Number=192500&amp;page=1&amp;v iew=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1) hopping - I won't be able to make it. I've got company coming, and I've got a lot of work to do to make it look like it doesn't take hardly any work at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif So, all y'all can figure out what all y'all want to do and just keep me posted, or all y'all can come on over for a cookout (just burgers, I'm thinking) and some pool playing. Or, all y'all can come over for a cookout and some pool playing and then go out to a real Texas bar, the Silver Saloon in Terrell, TX. I've never been there, so I can't vouch for it, but I believe there would be more cowboys out here in Terrell than there would be in a bar in Dallas... But, if y'all are going to bars in Dallas, maybe someone else can pick up 9 Ball Girl from the airport and take her out to the bars and get her to PettyPoint, remembering that the later it gets, the longer the drive out here gets.

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all here! Keep in touch!

9 Ball Girl
05-30-2005, 06:24 PM
Damn I can't wait! Hey, I don't mind doing the latter where we can hit a bar afterwards. I sure wouldn't mind helping you set up. If I don't get to ride a mechanical bull, well that's just another excuse for me to have to come down and visit you!

Rip
05-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Is it too late for me to enter my "Wayne Nootin' Rootin' Tootin' Las Vegas style chili?
Rip /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Deeman2
05-31-2005, 06:08 AM
SPetty,

I'm still on for this and will be bringing my Beale Street Chili aswell as the cue cases I made this weekend.

Tori and I might stay on Saturday night. I'll check with her to see what she wants to do.

Get those taste buds ready.

Deeman

SPetty
06-01-2005, 07:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> Is it too late for me to enter my "Wayne Nootin' Rootin' Tootin' Las Vegas style chili? <hr /></blockquote>As long as it doesn't have that hair in it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

stroker
06-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Hi Spetty,
Iwould be happy to pick 9 Ball Girl up and show her the town. Let me know!
Tony "Molassas"

ceebee
06-02-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi Susan, I'll be there for the Friday &amp; Saturday thing. Please let me know if I have a bed or if I need to find a room at a motel.

Are you reserving beds this time?

Sid_Vicious
06-02-2005, 07:37 AM
Weather permitting I'll be on the bike, so an overnighter there for me would be supreme. I also have no problem going to DFW in the GT instead of the cycle for a Wendy's pickup and delivery, we'd have troubles carrying the cues and us on the bike, might be interesting trying though. You ever pop a wheelie doing 70 Wendy? I'll follow this thread to see where it goes from here.

I'd be interested in knowing where y'all might drop into concerning a bar/ph Tony. Most any place I frequent is in N. Dallas, about half an hour from the gathering, TRAFFIC dependent. Remember that about the rush hour warning, be early or after 7pm(imo)...sid~~~be fun seeing 9BG fleece some sheep at Skillman on the way /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif sid

9 Ball Girl
06-02-2005, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>You ever pop a wheelie doing 70 Wendy?<hr /></blockquote>Nope. Can't say that I have!

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>be fun seeing 9BG fleece some sheep at Skillman on the way /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif sid <hr /></blockquote>Ok. You got me there. What the hell is fleecing sheep??? And the smirk to go along with it?

Wendy&lt;---raising an eyebrow!

Wally_in_Cincy
06-02-2005, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> ... What the hell is fleecing sheep??? ...<hr /></blockquote>

Even though Deeman says sheep in Texas are nervous /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, in this case Sid is referring to hustling pool

Chopstick
06-02-2005, 11:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>You ever pop a wheelie doing 70 Wendy?<hr /></blockquote>Nope. Can't say that I have!
<font color="blue">I used to do 'em at 100. </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr>be fun seeing 9BG fleece some sheep at Skillman on the way /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif sid <hr /></blockquote>Ok. You got me there. What the hell is fleecing sheep??? And the smirk to go along with it?

Wendy&lt;---raising an eyebrow! <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">I'm your huckleberry and it's shearing sheep Sydney. </font color>

9 Ball Girl
06-02-2005, 11:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Even though Deeman says sheep in Texas are nervous /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, in this case Sid is referring to hustling pool <hr /></blockquote>Ahhhh, I'm beginning to like this down-home lingo!

Deeman2
06-02-2005, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>Even though Deeman says sheep in Texas are nervous /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif, in this case Sid is referring to hustling pool <hr /></blockquote>Ahhhh, I'm beginning to like this down-home lingo! <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

NBG,

Sheep shearing or sheep fleecing comes from the actual act of cutting the hair/wool off sheep. However, the southern preachers along with southern con men used it in reference to getting money out of their "flock". Another term you might like is "in a pickle". If you are playing Gerda a race to nine for $1000 and she is up 8-3, you are "fer shore" "in a pickle!" (No relation to Bobby Pickle except when he makes those stupid bets...</font color>

Deeman
not just for breakfast anymore...

Wally_in_Cincy
06-02-2005, 12:40 PM
then there's the various tenses of y'all

y'all (Kentucky singular tense)

y'all's (Texas possesive tense)

y'all's's (Tennessee plural possessive tense)

y'all're (Georgia trouble tense, as in "y'all're in trouble now")

HTH

SpiderMan
06-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Actually, Tennessee mountain slang is "you-uns". Doesn't become y'all until you hit the delta land.

SpiderMan

Deeman2
06-02-2005, 01:09 PM
Some more old favories for NBG....

"Yon side o" - On the other side of

"Tote" - to carry

"Yomominem" - Your mother and her family frequently prefixed by "How's"

"Watch this Bubba" - The lasts words of a high percentage of southerners.

"Warsh" - wash (Deewoman loves the way I say this).

"after all we is first cousins" - foreplay

"Down B**ch!" - Texas foreplay....

Deeman
not from Texas, just imprisoned here...

9 Ball Girl
06-02-2005, 01:39 PM
I like it, I like it! Here are some Brooklyn-isms that you'll hear outta me:

"Whatta you tawkin' 'bout?" trans. Please elaborate

"Yo" trans. Excuse me, Sir

"Fuggehadaboutit" trans. Forget About It

"Not For Nuttin' But..." trans. The Truth Is...

"I Got Agita" trans. I've Got Heartburn

"Hey, Hiyadoin'" trans. Hey, How Are You Doing? (my fav)

Scott Lee
06-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Wally...Technically, the plural of y'all is ALL y'all! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott ~ still tryin' to git to all y'all in my travels

SPetty
06-02-2005, 02:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stroker:</font><hr>I would be happy to pick 9 Ball Girl up and show her the town. Let me know!<hr /></blockquote>Howdy Tony "Molasses" aka stroker,

I've touched base with 9 Ball Girl and confirmed that I will pick her up from the airport on Friday afternoon, and take her straight to PettyPoint so she can destress from the flight and set down her luggage and cue and have a frosty cold one!

Now, since this is the PettyPoint CCB Chili CookOff and Tamale Eating and Pool Playing Weekend, all y'all are welcome to come on out and start the festivities with us on Friday night, say around 6 p.m.? I'm thinking a cookout - burgers (or steak or any other hunk of meat if y'all bring it), beans and potato salad if I can get one of you that's not participating in the chili cookoff to bring potato salad. Please let me know if you're coming on Friday.

I'm asking LeRoy to make up a pot of beans in case there are impurists who want beans in their chili, so we can have those with the burgers the night before.

How's that for a plan?

I'm showing overnighter folks (so far) as:
9 Ball Girl
ras314
ceebee
Sid_Vicious
(maybe Deeman &amp; Tori)

I'm guessing ryushen21 will be added to that list, but I haven't heard from him lately.

I've heard back from Eric. that he simply isn't going to make it this time, but he's trying to figure out how to get his chili here without him. I heard back from 1pRoscoe that he can't make it, but then it sounded like he's changing his mind, so who knows? I'd love to see his cues... Haven't heard back yet from griffith_d or caedos or littleCajun.

Just about three weeks from now... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

ryushen21
06-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Don't forget about the important tequila drinking aspect of the weekend. I'm bringin two bottles myself. If there is still room available, i'll need to stay the night out there as well. For those who are going out for dinner with NBG, where are we goin and when are we goin there?

ceebee
06-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi there RYushen21... I saw your friend Shin &amp; one of his buddies at Clicks on 360. Both of them bought a book from me.

Shin said he was headed for the homeland until late July, he said to say hello.

ceebee
06-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Is Chopsticks coming?

poolturtle
06-02-2005, 05:09 PM
SPetty,

I'm still working out the kinks in the plans to show up.

Assuming I get to go, I'll just wing it at a motel unless you happen to have an extra bed open (or NBG's willing to share! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k)

As soon as I know if I'm coming for sure, you'll know.

Spiderman,

Assuming I do show up, I'll take you up on the offer of the Friday night tournament, if you're still interested. I'll guess we'll see what happens.

I'm not going to make it to anymore Thursday tournaments for the rest of the month. I took vacation to keep my son, so I'm spending every weekend in Brownwood.

Chopstick
06-03-2005, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Wally...Technically, the plural of y'all is ALL y'all! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott ~ still tryin' to git to all y'all in my travels <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">First let me extend my condolences to those of you who were so cruelly snubbed by nature, by being denied southern birth. Since you snow birds insist on coming down here anyway you should learn the proper conjugation of that most eloquent of all phrases "ya'll".

Y'all is the southern equivalent of the yankeeism youz guys. It is however vastly superior in the following aspect. Just how many guys can you actually address with youz guys. Two or three guys, tops! Spoken correctly ya'll can address the entire room.

You may then ask what if you do not wish to address the entire room? In that case you would employ the modifing adjectives alla and somma. As in:</font color> alla ya'll and somma ya'll

<font color="blue">PS. I'm gonna git steam rolled at SPettys. I haven't played a match all year and my stick still ain't done. </font color>

SpiderMan
06-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Yes, he'll be here. But he's not sure if his new cue will be finished. If it is, he said he would ship it to me to bring.

SpiderMan

Chopstick
06-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Hey SPetty. I just got this on DVD. Can I bring it?

http://www.bobthebarfly.com/spiderwonder2.gif

Deeman2
06-03-2005, 08:52 AM
I have the Kevin Cosner long Version..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/pc52d272b1cfc9ff2f6809ed11954cda0/f3dbd3eb.jpg

Now that I can post pictures, no one is safe...

Deeman

9 Ball Girl
06-03-2005, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>PS. I'm gonna git steam rolled at SPettys. I haven't played a match all year and my stick still ain't done.<hr /></blockquote>Hey Chopstick! Then me and you should partner up! I've played about 3 times since after the CCB tourney in VA last September!

9 Ball Girl
06-03-2005, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I have the Kevin Cosner long Version..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/pc52d272b1cfc9ff2f6809ed11954cda0/f3dbd3eb.jpg <hr /></blockquote>
What the?! LOLOLOLOL

SPetty
06-03-2005, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> Assuming I get to go, I'll just wing it at a motel unless you happen to have an extra bed open (or NBG's willing to share! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k)<hr /></blockquote>You're a young enough kid /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif that you can have one of the "singles" - one's a cot and the other is an air mattress on the floor if all the beds are taken. I got an additional twin bed while buying a replacement for the leaking queen sized air mattress, so now we've got three queens, two twins, plus the two singles.

And, you've got to get here to pick up your sunglasses. I think they're yours. They've been here since the last get-together, and no one has claimed them yet.

SpiderMan
06-03-2005, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I have the Kevin Cosner long Version..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid171/pc52d272b1cfc9ff2f6809ed11954cda0/f3dbd3eb.jpg <hr /></blockquote>
What the?! LOLOLOLOL <hr /></blockquote>

That's what I said ... I see me ... I see NBG ... But who's that Dyke in the middle?

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
06-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey Doug,

Did you win the tournament last night? I won last week, so I had to sit out. Spent a lovely evening on the driveway, working underneath my girlfriend's van /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SpiderMan

poolturtle
06-03-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And, you've got to get here to pick up your sunglasses. I think they're yours. They've been here since the last get-together, and no one has claimed them yet.
<hr /></blockquote>

I don't think they're mine...I only have 2 pairs. 1 cheap pair and my Oakley's, and both of them are in my car.

But I'll take them if noone claims them and they fit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can't beat door prizes at Petty Point!

poolturtle
06-03-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did you win the tournament last night? I won last week, so I had to sit out. Spent a lovely evening on the driveway, working underneath my girlfriend's van <hr /></blockquote>

I didn't go. I'm in Brownwood. Spent the last few days doing electrical work.

9 Ball Girl
06-04-2005, 12:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> Assuming I get to go, I'll just wing it at a motel unless you happen to have an extra bed open (or NBG's willing to share! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k)<hr /></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>You're a young enough kid /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif that you can have one of the "singles" <hr /></blockquote>

Now wait a minute. Exactly how old is pooturtle? Is he one of them young'uns?

CarolNYC
06-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Hey Guys,(and ladies)
It sounds like your gonna have a real good time-I wish I could be there-I love southern accents and guns are legal in Texas,huh?OMG-I can just see it now,north vs.south,LMAO!
And Wendy,
If anyones coming from Brooklyn,(Italian) you may hear this (my husbands family),which I've heard:
"Not For Nuttin' But.....": A phrase often used before telling someone the truth. As in, "not for nuttin' but, that guy you hang out with is a real duh-ta-duh."

Duh-ta-duh: An idiot or oaf.

Skel: A junkie, street-person, or lowlife. (Two retired NYPD officers wrote us to say that "skel" was commonly used by cops on the Brooklyn beat in the early 1960's. The term had entered general usage by the 80's

Weasel Deal: A deal that's not quite on the up and up...like getting that cheap stereo that "fell off the truck" or getting a "discount" on your cable hookup. "Why can't you ever buy anything in a store? It's always some weasel deal with you." "

She Thinks Who She Is.....": She's got a very high opinion of herself. "Did you see the attitude I got from her? She really thinks who she is, that one." also, MISS THING!!!!!

Scootch (Or Scutch): A real pain in the ass.

Agita: Heartburn, or a general pain from stress

Cugine: (Coo JEEN) A self-styled Saturday Night Fever kinda guy. Usually has slicked back hair, and sports a lot of gold. Cruising 86th Street in Bensonhurst ls sometimes derogatively referred to as "going up the cugine"
Goombah: This word has taken on two different meanings. Traditionally, to say that someone is a "goomba" is to say that they are like family

Gavoon: A knucklehead

Skeeve : To totally dislike something

Go See Where You Gotta Go: Stop wasting my time.

Wack/Whack: Depending on what part of Brooklyn you're from, this either means "crazy", as in "he is wack"; or it means "to rub someone out" as in "he was a rat, so he got whacked."

Hiya: A greeting. The South Brooklyn version of New York City's more widely used "hawarya?"

Hey Hayadooin : An alternate greeting, or an appropriate response to "hiya"
Jeet?: Did you eat?

Jeetjet?: Did you eat yet?

Gates Are Closed: If a game is in progress, no one else can be admitted or join the game..... or if someone was not well liked, this was a perfect way of keeping the individual out of the game.

Fugazy: Not on the up and up....if someone pulled a con....a fugazy was pulled.

Earl: Oil

"Who died and made YOU boss?": Phrase used for letting someone know they're not running the show

Lucy (or Loosie) : Bodegas in Brooklyn will often sell you a single cigarette from an open pack. The single cigarette is called a "Lucy".

"He don't know from nothin." : He's not very bright.

Axe: Ask

Axeya : Ask you.

Tree : The number three.

Whatsamattaferu : What's the problem?

Johnny On A Pony: Known as "Buck-Buck" in New England and other parts of the country, a particularly brutal game where one kid grabs on to a fire hydrant (or a tree) while two other kids grab onto him from behind and hold on tight. Then, one by one, other kids take a running start and jump on their backs, trying to make them collapse. Chiropractors everywhere have make a good living off this game.

Yooze: Plural of "you". Also correct is "yooze guys". Probably derived from Irish dialect, as "youse" turns up in Civil War era Irish songs. In some parts of Brooklyn, people will say "yuz guys": this is similar to the New England dialect, except New Englanders just say "yuz" and drop the word "guys". "Y'all" is starting to make inroads some neighborhoods, but this is definitely of Southern origin. We are still waiting for the New Orleanian "all y'all" to make its first appearance.

Shlub: A slob

The Bomb: The best, as in "their new CD is the bomb".

Fuggedaboudit: Never mind

These were found on a "brooklynism" website,but they're the ones I'm familiar with-
And hey, if anyones near Hollywood Seminole Hardrock between June 22nd-26th, the WPBA will be there,myself&amp; family and I just spoke to Tony (Robles) yesterday-he's coming,also, to help support "Vivians Kids" charity-

Have a good time and hope some Floridians come!VOODOO???????????
See ya,
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

poolturtle
06-04-2005, 07:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote poolturtle:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assuming I get to go, I'll just wing it at a motel unless you happen to have an extra bed open (or NBG's willing to share! j/k)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote SPetty:
You're a young enough kid that you can have one of the "singles"

Now wait a minute. Exactly how old is pooturtle? Is he one of them young'uns? <hr /></blockquote>

I'm 25 (will be 26 on June 14 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

So, I guess I'm "old enough to know better, but still too young to care." (good song /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

ras314
06-04-2005, 08:08 AM
And you Yankees think southerners talk funny! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fugazy?

I tried to buy a pack of smokes at La Guadia airport once, never could make myself understood. Had to just lean over the counter and grab some, salesperson acted like I was trying to rob the place or something. And then acted scared to take my money. Strange folks. Not only did them yankees talk funny, they couldn't understand plain english. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lets see, NYC is a fur piece up the road from mungomery ain't it?

I thought guns were legal anywhere in the USA. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
People out here don't see why I won't go to Mexico. My usual answer is I'm not going to visit any country that don't even allow their own law abiding citizens to have guns, it must be pretty dangerous there. Uh, well California is almost as bad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Yup, I'm guilty of using about 75% of the lingo listed there.

Wendy&lt;---going to have fun, fun, fun! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick
06-04-2005, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> And you Yankees think southerners talk funny! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Remember back when Jimmy Carter was president. There is a little known executive order that he enacted when he was in office. Officially, we no longer have accents, ya'll do! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-04-2005, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr>I'm 25 (will be 26 on June 14 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

So, I guess I'm "old enough to know better, but still too young to care." (good song /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) <hr /></blockquote>

Very cute! You sound like a hot potatah (it's how I pronounce it)

Wendy&lt;---there I go again...

PoolFool
06-04-2005, 10:18 AM
CarolNYC wrote "and guns are legal in Texas,huh?" That is another urban legend about Texas. A lot of people own guns in Texas but very few can carry one legally. You have to have a permit (background check, school on laws and safety and be registered). If you have a permit to carry a handgun, it must be concealed at all times. Since I do not have a permit to carry, if I take a handgun from my house to a target range I am breaking the law and can spend up to 10 years in jail. They just passed a law in Collin, a nearby county, that you can't fire a gun on your own land unless it is over 10 acres. Texas ain't what it used to be. Just like every place else, only the criminals can carry guns.

PoolFool

SpiderMan
06-04-2005, 04:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PoolFool:</font><hr> Since I do not have a permit to carry, if I take a handgun from my house to a target range I am breaking the law and can spend up to 10 years in jail. PoolFool <hr /></blockquote>

PoolFool,

That's a common misconception. You are actually legal in that scenario, transporting to/from ranges and other legal activites is an exception written into the law.

You can also carry a handgun for protecton in your vehicle without a permint, if you are "traveling". I believe case law has set the precedent of "traveling" to be crossing two county lines and staying overnight, but don't quote me without verification.

Last time I looked, "traveling" was in the penal code as an "affirmative defense" against illegal carry in a vehicle. That means you may be arrested at the officer's discretion, but if you can prove you were a "traveler" at the time, it's an affirmative defense and you are acquitted. So if you're an obvious traveler, he's not likely to make an arrest just to waste the court's time, unless you do something to piss him off.

Once you reach your destination, you are no longer a traveler and can't contine to transport the pistol around until you get ready to head back home.

Of course, loaded shotguns and rifles are still legal cargo in most areas.

SpiderMan (got the concealed-carry permit to simplify this thought process)

SpiderMan
06-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Y'all do talk funny up there! BTW, what's a "bodega"?

SpiderMan

9 Ball Girl
06-05-2005, 06:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Y'all do talk funny up there! BTW, what's a "bodega"?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>"Bodega" pronounced bo-deh-gah means store. Typically, they're neighborhood corner stores.

poolturtle
06-05-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very cute! You sound like a hot potatah (it's how I pronounce it)
<hr /></blockquote>

I'm assuming that's a compliment. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although most people immediately drop the "hot potatah".

Hey spiderman, I finally got a decent cue ball to carry with me. Now when I play at the local tournament(which has less than perfect felt and cueballs that could pass for bowling balls, both in weight and size) I'll be able get some decent action! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug---excited he's now got a decent ball! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ras314
06-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Poolturtle, I assume you got either the Dynamo heavy red dot or more likely a Valley magnetic ball. Try 'em in the tables first, might have to crank in some quarters to get 'em back.

It is polite to let people know you switched the cb, paticularly the management. I got in a big hassel doing that once, fool claimed that bowling ball was part of a set. Oddly most "players" don't seem to notice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

See you at PPPH in a few weeks.

SpiderMan
06-06-2005, 07:33 AM
OK, we have those in Texas. We call them 7-11s, little stores where you use sign language to make your needs known /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
06-06-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm eligible now to play this Thursday. Will you be there?

I won the LoneStar pot on Saturday, but they don't make you sit out. Had to skip Sunday to repair my girlfriend's car.

SpiderMan

9 Ball Girl
06-06-2005, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> OK, we have those in Texas. We call them 7-11s, little stores where you use sign language to make your needs known <hr /></blockquote>We have 7-11s too but bodegas are different in that you can find more products that you would find in a supermarket.

Deeman2
06-06-2005, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> OK, we have those in Texas. We call them 7-11s, little stores where you use sign language to make your needs known <hr /></blockquote>We have 7-11s too but bodegas are different in that you can find more products that you would find in a supermarket. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

NBG,

Most of these are not 7/11's either but we call all little markets 7/11. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif 7/11 was the first convienence store in the south so we refer to them all, regardless of brand/size as 7/11. Sort of like "Yank**s" call Coke "Pop". We might be going out for a Pepsi but we say we're going fer a Coke....</font color>

Deeman

SpiderMan
06-06-2005, 08:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> OK, we have those in Texas. We call them 7-11s, little stores where you use sign language to make your needs known <hr /></blockquote>We have 7-11s too but bodegas are different in that you can find more products that you would find in a supermarket. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

NBG,

Most of these are not 7/11's either but we call all little markets 7/11. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif 7/11 was the first convienence store in the south so we refer to them all, regardless of brand/size as 7/11. Sort of like "Yank**s" call Coke "Pop". We might be going out for a Pepsi but we say we're going fer a Coke....</font color>
Deeman <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, down here all brown soda is "coke". Except for Dr Pepper, a laxative/purgative made of tobacco spit and soured prune juice (exact proportions unknown). And strangely enough, in many parts of Oklahoma, cokes are "pop".

SpiderMan

ryushen21
06-06-2005, 09:17 AM
Wow, i couldn't believe that that with all the language discdussions on this thread we managed to forget about the "Coke" discussion. Although i'm not too sure about SpiderMan's description of Dr. Pepper.

Then again, in the part of town where i went to high school we all drank "refrescos." It's like a soda but kind of different. Mainly fruit flavors but man are they good.

poolturtle
06-06-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Poolturtle, I assume you got either the Dynamo heavy red dot or more likely a Valley magnetic ball. Try 'em in the tables first, might have to crank in some quarters to get 'em back.

It is polite to let people know you switched the cb, paticularly the management. I got in a big hassel doing that once, fool claimed that bowling ball was part of a set. Oddly most "players" don't seem to notice.

See you at PPPH in a few weeks <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, it's one of the cue balls from the room I play the tournaments at. It's the only ball I've been able to do anything with. I talked to the manager and he let me take it with me. I know it works in all the tables. I'm going to mark it so I know it's mine when I get ready to leave.

Spiderman,

I can't make it to any of the tournaments up there this whole month. I have my son all month. I took off Thursdays to keep him and as soon as I get off work Wednesday afternoon, I drive to Brownwood to stay with him the whole weekend.

CarolNYC
06-07-2005, 01:42 AM
Sorry for not getting back to you Marty!
I had a "NEWT" event this weekend-but Wendy girl covered it!
See ya!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
06-07-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We have 7-11s too but bodegas are different in that you can find more products that you would find in a supermarket <hr /></blockquote>

Yep,yep,yep,well, one thing for sure, we dont have "Wawa's" who the heck thought of THAT name? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
LMAO!
Carol~seen her FIRST WAWA at SBE in '99-LMAO!

CarolNYC
06-07-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sort of like "Yank**s" call Coke "Pop". We might be going out for a Pepsi but we say we're going fer a Coke....

<hr /></blockquote>
Hey there,
I've heard New Englanders call it "pop"but I think NY just calls it soda-
Pop means,like, "he got popped" or "Im gonna pop someone"(shoot )
And depending on the person saying it, "to go get coke" may mean getting drugs.

Carol~allright y'all? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifHave fun! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
06-07-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CarolNYC wrote "and guns are legal in Texas,huh?" That is another urban legend about Texas <hr /></blockquote>
So then, Miss Congeniality jumped on that guy FOR NOTHING?
There goes my day,LMAO!
Stay well!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman2
06-09-2005, 09:30 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid172/pe643c12f63ed93b9b24199a789c3b50b/f3c589f6.jpg

It's getting closer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

9 Ball Girl
06-09-2005, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>It's getting closer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>And hotter! It's about 87 degrees here today and it feels like 90! What's the temp in Terrell during the end of June???

SPetty
06-09-2005, 09:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>What's the temp in Terrell during the end of June??? <hr /></blockquote>What difference does that make?

And I quote (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=npr&amp;Number=186021&amp;page =&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) :

"I don't mind the heat. I like it hot! I'm sure it's a different kind of heat than New York sans the humidity."

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-09-2005, 09:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>What difference does that make?<hr /></blockquote>Ah yes. Well, it depends on the amount of articles of clothing--do I pack them in a duffle bag or stuff them in my purse! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

More heat, More skin...Yeeha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
06-09-2005, 10:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>

More heat, More skin...Yeeha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Uh! It's about 107 degrees in the shade so you might not need any clothes.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

Deeman
wonders if Deewoman is lurking? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-09-2005, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>Uh! It's about 107 degrees in the shade so you might not need any clothes.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

wonders if Deewoman is lurking? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>Not to worry. I'm not planning on giving anyone any good laughs! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
06-09-2005, 02:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>Uh! It's about 107 degrees in the shade so you might not need any clothes.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

wonders if Deewoman is lurking? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>Not to worry. I'm not planning on giving anyone any good laughs! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
You have tatoons?

SpiderMan

Stretch
06-09-2005, 05:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>

More heat, More skin...Yeeha! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Uh! It's about 107 degrees in the shade so you might not need any clothes.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

Deeman
wonders if Deewoman is lurking? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Geezes that's hot! I bet ya i'd do well with a truck load of ice cream down there. St ~~always has treats for the lady's~~

9 Ball Girl
06-09-2005, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>You have tatoons?<hr /></blockquote>LOL Yes. Yes I do. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

poolturtle
06-09-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote SpiderMan:
You have tatoons?

LOL Yes. Yes I do. <hr /></blockquote>

Wow. This is quickly turning into "Petty Point Chili Cookoff/Pool Playing/Dinner With 9BG/Bikini Contest/Tatoo Modeling/Wet T-shirt Contest Weekend /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, that last part was my own addition. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-09-2005, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr>Wow. This is quickly turning into "Petty Point Chili Cookoff/Pool Playing/Dinner With 9BG/Bikini Contest/Tatoo Modeling/Wet T-shirt Contest Weekend /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry, that last part was my own addition. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>ROFL! Remind me to give you a nice tight hug when I see you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It's gonna be one helluva weekend!

Chopstick
06-10-2005, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr>

Wow. This is quickly turning into "Petty Point Chili Cookoff/Pool Playing/Dinner With 9BG/Bikini Contest/Tatoo Modeling/Wet T-shirt Contest Weekend /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

So, don't ya'll do that every weekend. I start mine on Thursday. Hey, wait a minute. I'm on the judge list. Where's Leroy keep the hose? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SpiderMan
06-10-2005, 10:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr>

<hr /></blockquote>

So, don't ya'll do that every weekend. I start mine on Thursday. Hey, wait a minute. I'm on the judge list. Where's Leroy keep the hose? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

We could use the hose to turn the former swimming-pool courtyard into a mud-wresting field. On second thought, Deeman2 would just get his truck stuck in it.

SpiderMan

poolturtle
06-11-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote Chopstick:

Quote poolturtle:

Wow. This is quickly turning into "Petty Point Chili Cookoff/Pool Playing/Dinner With 9BG/Bikini Contest/Tatoo Modeling/Wet T-shirt Contest Weekend

So, don't ya'll do that every weekend. I start mine on Thursday. Hey, wait a minute. I'm on the judge list. Where's Leroy keep the hose?

We could use the hose to turn the former swimming-pool courtyard into a mud-wresting field. On second thought, Deeman2 would just get his truck stuck in it.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Ok, I'm gonna rent some good video equipment. I think we have a good chance at selling this footage. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Stretch
06-11-2005, 03:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Quote Chopstick:

Quote poolturtle:

Wow. This is quickly turning into "Petty Point Chili Cookoff/Pool Playing/Dinner With 9BG/Bikini Contest/Tatoo Modeling/Wet T-shirt Contest Weekend

So, don't ya'll do that every weekend. I start mine on Thursday. Hey, wait a minute. I'm on the judge list. Where's Leroy keep the hose?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Ok, I'm gonna rent some good video equipment. I think we have a good chance at selling this footage. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Wut goes on in Petty Point, stayes in Petty Point. More fun that way i'd say /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif St. ~~camera shy~~

SPetty
06-12-2005, 06:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> What goes on in PettyPoint, stays in PettyPoint. More fun that way I'd say /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif St. ~~camera shy~~ <hr /></blockquote>That's exactly right, Stretch. I prefer no video equipment and have said that more than once.

However, if Deeman comes, word somehow gets out about everything that goes on... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif (That's O.K., I like Deeman... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

poolturtle
06-12-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote Stretch:
What goes on in PettyPoint, stays in PettyPoint. More fun that way I'd say St. ~~camera shy~~

That's exactly right, Stretch. I prefer no video equipment and have said that more than once.

However, if Deeman comes, word somehow gets out about everything that goes on... (That's O.K., I like Deeman... ) <hr /></blockquote>

For the record, I was completely joking. I would never think of recording any of the events there. (There's no telling what I might do that I don't want on video.)

Please like me to SPetty. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9 Ball Girl
06-13-2005, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr>There's no telling what I might do that I don't want on video. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif <hr /></blockquote>Oh?

poolturtle
06-13-2005, 08:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote poolturtle:
There's no telling what I might do that I don't want on video.

Oh <hr /></blockquote>

uh.....let's just say that I've utilized the "what happens here stays here" phrase a few times. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

DickLeonard
06-13-2005, 09:54 AM
SPetty you make Pearl Mesta look like an amateur.####

SPetty
06-13-2005, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> SPetty you make Pearl Mesta look like an amateur.#### <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Y'know, I'm really quite an introvert. I was having that chat with my husband a few days ago - I'm quiet at work and quiet elsewhere, and I'm probably quiet around all these pool players that honor me with their presence at PettyPoint. I'm really not the "social butterfly" type at all.

And I didn't "sneak" into NYC - I announced it here on the board... You just weren't paying attention! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm really sorry I didn't wear out my welcome and make Fran put me up for a few more days and visit and see the sights a little more. Really, I was in-and-out quick!