PDA

View Full Version : RP aces reach 9-ball semis

06-09-2002, 12:02 PM
RP aces reach 9-ball semis
Posted: 11:26 PM (Manila Time) | Jun. 09, 2002
By Dennis Eroa
Inquirer News Service

FILIPINO aces Efren 'Bata' Reyes and Francisco 'Django' Bustamante clash with American sensation Corey Deuel and Japanese number Kunihiko Takahashi, respectively, in the crossover semifinals of the 2002 Motolite 9-Ball World Challenge Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum.

Reyes completed a sweep of his elimination assignments by besting reigning US Open titleholder Deuel, 7-4, while Bustamante advanced despite losing a controversial 7-6 decision to Japanese ace Kunihiko Takahashi.

While Reyes, who topped the eliminations with a 4-0 card, earned thunderous applause from the fans, Bustamante's form left jaded observers wondering.

Bustamante finished with a second-best 2-2 record and will meet Takahashi (3-1) anew in the semis starting at 4 p.m. The winners of today's matches (race to 9) will dispute the $15,000 champion's purse in a race-to-13 final.

Veteran Earl 'The Pearl' Strickland beat Antonio Lining and finished tied with Deuel at the end of the eliminations with 2-2 slates. But Deuel entered the semis due to a better tiebreak.

Strickland, known for his imperious ways, criticized Bustamante's setback to Takahashi. The Filipino bet bungled two easy chances to put away the Japanese ace, the most glaring mistake came when he missed the 8th ball, giving Takahashi the breather in the 13th rack.

Bustamante was in fighting mood when told of Strickland's observation. "You can write it. Strickland's a bad guy, he's an animal. His fellow Americans doesn't even like him. He should show respect and I'll hit him with a cue stick if he doesn't'stop talking," Bustamante told reporters

"I don't want to lose but this kind of thing happens in billiards," added Bustamante.

06-11-2002, 10:02 AM
well...bustamante just beat corey for the finals. i guess earl is even more upset. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
06-11-2002, 10:04 AM
Doesn't surprize me. It's all a mind game.IMO Busty's a true player and does his best to win. He's also very quite as most Filopino players. They just come to play, that's all. Strickland seems to start a lot of fires everywhere he goes.

Busty, is IMO one of the greatest players I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I met him at a tourney in Alsip, Il. about 10 yrs ago. He asked me, if he could practice with me. I said yes to this quite, well manner'd kid. I liked him. I believe he stayed at Mark Wilsons house, when he was in town, at the time.

No matter what Busty said, he's good kid and Earl shouldn't comment on anyones shortcomings. Not that he or any other players that share this fine sport ever missed a shot or sold out.

Regards,

C.C.~~I don't know how much to believe here? I do know it's meant to imflame us into dogging Earl once again. I don't have a problem with either players, all players talk smack every now and then. IMO

Wally_in_Cincy
06-12-2002, 06:43 AM
According to a report at azb, Earl (to a third party) accused Bustamante of dumping againt Takahashi.

http://azbilliards.com/2000storya.cfm?storynum=218

Cueless Joey
06-12-2002, 10:31 AM
I think Earl dump his match against Efren in the Color of Money. Why would he start playing like someone removed his brain when the score was at 117-117 race to 120?
How would Earl like if I accused of him that?
Busty suddenly dumping the match at hill-hill is very unlikely.

Chris Cass
06-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Well Wally,

After reading that, I'll just say. It might have been a move. When money is involved and in a round robin situation. There is strategy and control. We'll have to see what happens next. I still don't think Busty would dump. Just maybe, didn't try real hard to win.

Thanks for the update,

C.C.~~finally learned to spell quiet.LOL

Drake
06-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Are you guys the same guy yelling at the end of the game when the quarterback takes a knee?? Bustey just didn't try that hard....an indirect dump of the match. These players are shooting for a living. Bustey did what he thought would give him the best chance of winning the money...and HE DID!! Is it wrong?? Yes, so is a pitcher throwing a 90 mph fastball at your head. This is another reason why pool tournaments need to be overhauled. Alternate breaks??? Longer races??? Round Robin formats(obviously not)?? Seeding through the brackets???? Any ideas??

bigalerickson
06-12-2002, 01:23 PM
I still believe in alternating breaks. not that I want to pick a fight, I just wanted to throw my 2 pennies in to the equation.

Unfortuneatly for Earl, when he yells, people have stopped listening. To the point where it does not matter if he is right or wrong, because its just noise.

BigAl - still roots for Earl, if only because John McEnroe was my childhood hero.

Chris Cass
06-12-2002, 11:22 PM
Hi Drake,

How goes it in Ga.? Well seeding is a good idea. The pros used to do that when supplied by Brunswick. I myself believe the players will continue this type of stuff till the events start paying more money.

I don't scream about anything. I don't care unless it involves me personally. If I had to make that type of move? It would be to support my family. That's the only thing that would ever make me give up my integraty.(sp?) Although, my wife wouldn't ask me to do that. She's all about what right.

I see your point. Don't complain about a situation, without having a solution.

Regards,

C.C.

Drake
06-13-2002, 08:02 AM
I personally have never tried to make all of my income off of pool. My hat is off to the few that do. Back to Bustey indirect dump. Earl should have blamed himself for being in that position instead of accusing Bustey of dumping. Yes, Bustey did make the right move to increase his chances of winning. And we all have pretty strong feelings against matches being dumped and supporting the public's viewpoint of our beloved game. I believe that a player that is confirmed guilty of dumping by the UPA Board should have some type of penalty. A money fine is not reasonable for a low paid professionals. Maybe a choice of being banned from the next two major tournaments OR Giving 20 free lessons at the offending player's local Y or boy's club?? Just a couple of ideas.