PDA

View Full Version : Looking for pool cue..need help

rickf28
05-30-2005, 03:52 PM
Im sure you all get this alot but im asking anyway. Ive been shooting pool for about 14 years. I dont play every day, usually one night a week. I usually use a house stick and stand my ground with the locals (many have high end sticks and i dint ask to use them). I want to buy a cue and i did own a McDermott about 6-7 years ago (EK5 I believe) it was used but in great shape and i loved it. Ive been looking at sticks on the internet (only place that sells sticks in this town are retail and bars)and have found that there are many companys and different cue makers with many price ranges. I look mostly at McDermotts because i have had time with one, but even in their line there is great difference in prices. I guess my real question is....is there alot of difference between a $200 dollar McDermott and a $600 one or is it mostley the artwork on butt. Also any suggestions for a nice cue that will last me long time in the $200-300 range would be nice. Im thinking about joining a league and i am going to start shooting local Tourneys so im ready to make investment but if a $200 pool cue is going to disappoint please let me know. Ive been shooting with house cue for so long i can stick it out until i can afford something that i will enjoy for long time.Also it does not have to be McDermott but like i said ealier i have owned one and liked it a great deal. thanx for you help all Rick

disturbed_won
05-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Have your searched on a Cuetec there excellent cues me and many of my friends use them there nice and dont get any dings or dents in them and play very well i choose a Cuetec over viking predator meucci and all others i just like the solid hit and feel of a Cuetec...

Regulator
05-30-2005, 11:28 PM
The McDermotts are pretty much the same cue from $200 to $600 - yes, the difference is the look.

Just like the difference between a custom $800 and a $2,000 cue from the same maker. If the joint, ferrule and tip are the same, the "hit" will be very, very similar. In fact, many people who buy expensive cues say "buy a xyz because his cues have a great hit."

So, buy a McDermott (USA) or Lucasi (China). The Cuetec is a different animal, though many people love them.

disturbed_won
05-31-2005, 08:05 PM
Yeah no lies there i just like the Cuetec's hit and a Scorpions hit its a good solid hit and i just overall like them and there cheap and well thats about it McDermott is a good cue as well as Lucasi as in any cue is good just depends on how you look at it i likie Dufferin's cues also..........

Nightstalker
05-31-2005, 08:48 PM
McDermott makes very good cues. Their warranty is the best in the business.

DonD
06-13-2005, 02:23 PM
for a nice two piece cue, you can't go wrong buying a dufferin, they last forever, and you can get one starting about $35-$50 and up to a whopping 150.00 for their prized
high end cue. I would like to give u more info but i feel if you read this article at, http://www.billiardworld.com/sticks.htm, you will get the gist of selecting a cue.

Don D

06-14-2005, 02:13 PM
i have a budweiser pool cue if your interested brand new..