PDA

View Full Version : Marlon Manalo

lsabado
05-30-2005, 09:34 PM
I was at the California billiards club last weekend and I saw Marlon Manalo from the Philippines shoot some pool. I've seen a lot of players like Efren Reyes play on tape but, Marlon Manalo is the best player I've seen shoot live. He was playing perfect position most of the time and he's an amazing safety player too. And lastly, he is calm as a cucumber. He never looses his composure no matter what situation his in. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

demonrho
05-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah. He showed up at the Tues nite tourny at House of Billiards in Santa Monica and played some picture perfect 9 ball. Somebody says he's Efren's nephew but his style is closer to Parica's.

Patrick
05-31-2005, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote lsabado:</font><hr> He was playing perfect position most of the time and he's an amazing safety player too.<hr /></blockquote>I have never heard you need to play safeties when playing perfect position. With perfect do you mean 12 cm distance of cueball from object ball? Or are you exaggerating and it is 20-30 cm instead?

Patrick
05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote demonrho:</font><hr> and played some picture perfect 9 ball. <hr /></blockquote>What is picture perfect 9-ball?

Jazz
06-01-2005, 08:11 PM
I was at California Billard too!!! Marlong was fantastic to watch. I've seen him on TV before (World Pool Championship) when I was living in Thailand - he looks almost same in person . Very calm nature about him.

Not to generalize but those Philippino players sure know how to spin the balls ... it's like watching Jazz improvision rather than classical recital.

Qtec
06-02-2005, 08:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never heard you need to play safeties when playing perfect position. <hr /></blockquote>

What do youdo when you are unable to pot the ball? [ bearing in mind that we are talking about real pool, so you dont have the option of sending the Qb around 16 rails and making the ball in side pocket].

Qtec

Qtec
06-02-2005, 08:36 AM
I seen him at the Amsterdam Open. I was also impressed! I hear he started as a snooker player.

Qtec

Wally_in_Cincy
06-02-2005, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> I seen him at the Amsterdam Open. I was also impressed! I hear he started as a snooker player.

Qtec <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, he was mainly a snooker player until recently (last 3 years)

...I think that's what I read.

Jazz
06-02-2005, 11:42 PM
I read/heard same thing (snooker background) ... but I was talking to a Philippino guy at California Billiard and he said Marlon had 3 cushion background (might explain how he can spin and control the cue ball so well)

Cueless Joey
06-03-2005, 07:04 AM
He was a gold medalist in the Asian games on snooker.
Pretty incredible considering there are only a handful of snooker tables in the Philippines.
He had to have some pool background as well though.
They don't play much 3-c in the Philippines. When they do, I am told it's on 9-foot variety. That explains Efren's billiard knowledge. Efren one time was the carom king of the Philippines.