PDA

View Full Version : Social Security

9 Ball Girl
05-31-2005, 01:41 PM
The Musical! (http://www.grab.com/tellafriend/c/A7916D33B9FD490094FB9E6E065E5814)

Vagabond
06-04-2005, 07:25 PM
9 Ball girl,
u are a federal employee and u do not have to worry about it.U have good retirement system( FERS).Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif : /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
06-05-2005, 02:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> 9 Ball girl,
u are a federal employee and u do not have to worry about it.U have good retirement system( FERS).Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif : /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Vagabond, "FERS" includes coverage under Social Security.

Vagabond
06-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Hi RichR,
I forgot about it.Thank u for correcting me.Are n`t u a retired federal Employee( Social security administration)? Are u enjoying the retired life?Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rich R.
06-05-2005, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Hi RichR,
I forgot about it.Thank u for correcting me.Are n`t u a retired federal Employee( Social security administration)? Are u enjoying the retired life?Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I'm not retired, yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Hopefully, I will be, before too long. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

catscradle
06-06-2005, 06:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Hi RichR,
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I'm not retired, yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Hopefully, I will be, before too long. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Lucky you. I figure I work at a good job 'til I'm too old (soon, I'm 59) then it's off to McDonalds or Walmart for me at which time I'll be selling my house and my cues and moving into a double-wide. I don't figure my 120K 401-k will carry me far, nor will Social Security. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich R.
06-06-2005, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> Lucky you. I figure I work at a good job 'til I'm too old (soon, I'm 59) then it's off to McDonalds or Walmart for me at which time I'll be selling my house and my cues and moving into a double-wide. I don't figure my 120K 401-k will carry me far, nor will Social Security. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I said that I hoped to be retiring before too long. I didn't say that I would be living in the lap of luxury. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
That double-wide sounds mighty nice, as opposed to working my job longer than I have to. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Qtec
06-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Things might not be so bad with SS.

[ QUOTE ]
According to Gary Ott, who was then a reporter for the Plainview Daily Herald, Bush stopped by the paper’s little office "maybe five or six times. He’d sit down at my desk; he was a fun guy. He was very outgoing, very friendly, and we would argue politics since I was a liberal. We’d argue over Carter policies." Bush criticized energy policy, federal land use policy, subsidized housing, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration ("a misuse of power," he said), and he warned that Social Security would go bust in ten years unless people were given a chance to invest the money themselves <hr /></blockquote>

Sound familiar?

The was GW in..................

1978 /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

catscradle
06-06-2005, 03:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Things might not be so bad with SS.

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
According to Gary Ott, who was then a reporter for the Plainview Daily Herald, Bush stopped by the paper’s little office "maybe five or six times. He’d sit down at my desk; he was a fun guy. He was very outgoing, very friendly, and we would argue politics since I was a liberal. We’d argue over Carter policies." Bush criticized energy policy, federal land use policy, subsidized housing, and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration ("a misuse of power," he said), and he warned that Social Security would go bust in ten years unless people were given a chance to invest the money themselves <hr /></blockquote>

Sound familiar?

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

SS is supposed to be self-supporting, it isn't and never will be. Eventually the burden on people earning money will reach the point where they can't pay it anymore. However, it is already inadequate to support a person and it never was adequate. Without additional income a person is going to live a pretty restricted life. You can't blame GW for this. It was in trouble from the day FDR started it.
Incidentally, I am a very, very distance relative of FDR (via the Delano, nee De La Noye in Leyden in the 1600's) and I'm think I'm related very, very distantly to GW's mother, now wouldn't it be the balls if GW and FDR were distantly related as well.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-07-2005, 05:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

... he warned that Social Security would go bust in ten years unless people were given a chance to invest the money themselves

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If I'm not mistaken, the SS system was re-structured (read: taxes raised) during the Reagan admin.

So maybe GW was right.

Rich R.
06-07-2005, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>However, it is already inadequate to support a person and it never was adequate. Without additional income a person is going to live a pretty restricted life. <hr /></blockquote>Catscradle, Social Security was never intended to be the only source of retirement income. It was inteneded to supplement an individuals private retirement plan. Unfortunately, many people have relied on Social Security, alone, for their retirement. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
06-07-2005, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> Social Security was never intended to be the only source of retirement income. It was inteneded to supplement an individuals private retirement plan. Unfortunately, many people have relied on Social Security, alone, for their retirement. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Didn't it start out strictly as a "widows and orphans" program, with very few people actually being eligible?

Rich R.
06-07-2005, 08:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Didn't it start out strictly as a "widows and orphans" program, with very few people actually being eligible? <hr /></blockquote>
Wally, I'm really not up on my history, but I believe the "Widows and Orphans" program was one of many social programs that existed prior to the passing of the Social Security Act in 1935. The primary purpose of the original Social Security program was to make a contibution based program to provide an income for retired workers, after age 65.
Many other provisions have been added since 1935 including disability coverage and medical benefits.
The Social Security Act also includes unemployment insurance, old-age assistance and aid to dependent children, but I'm not sure which were included in the original Act and which were added later.

eg8r
06-07-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, many people have relied on Social Security, alone, for their retirement. <hr /></blockquote> While you mention what your definition of what Social security should be, most of the people I have overheard when discussing it, have felt the need to set up alternative retirement programs because SS would not cut it. I am willing to bet this is not because they understand the idea behind SS as you do.

I agree, it will never cover everything and with all the politicians using SS funds to pay for everything but SS there is never a gaurantee it will cover anything. It should be called insurance not security.

eg8r

ras314
06-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Vagabond, you may be thinking of the older CSRA retirement which has no ss or private investment options. It is the system I retired under.

DebraLiStarr
06-07-2005, 10:36 AM
http://www.socialsecuritychoice.org/images/TomBriscoeTop5SSMyths53005.gif

Rich R.
06-07-2005, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>While you mention what your definition of what Social security should be, most of the people I have overheard when discussing it, have felt the need to set up alternative retirement programs because SS would not cut it.<hr /></blockquote>
Don't add words to my post. This is not MY definition of what Social Security "should be". Social Security is not, and was never intended to be, a complete retirement plan.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>I am willing to bet this is not because they understand the idea behind SS as you do.<hr /></blockquote>
I have to agree. If you ask most people on the street, especially those in the lower economic brackets, they will say that they plan to retire on SS. They are sadly mistaken and they will have trouble when they retire.
I'm not sure if this is a result of SS not educating the public or the public only hearing what they want to hear.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>I agree, it will never cover everything and with all the politicians using SS funds to pay for everything but SS there is never a gaurantee it will cover anything. It should be called insurance not security.<hr /></blockquote>
Social Security shouldn't be called "insurance", it is "insurance".

DebraLiStarr
06-07-2005, 10:53 AM
http://www.socialsecuritychoice.org/images/EdGambleSSMoneyDownHole.jpg

catscradle
06-07-2005, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr>
... I have to agree. If you ask most people on the street, especially those in the lower economic brackets, they will say that they plan to retire on SS. They are sadly mistaken and they will have trouble when they retire.
I'm not sure if this is a result of SS not educating the public or the public only hearing what they want to hear.
... <hr /></blockquote>

I don't think any comprehensive attempt has every been made to educate people what social security is or is not during my lifetime (I'm 59). I think my generation is a transition generation that was left kind of in the lurch due partly to our own ignorance and partially due to changing times. The social security safety net though not stated was implied. Prior to our generation people died fairly young and retirement wasn't something we thought about (if you told me in 1955, I'd see the year 2005 I would have been very skeptical, "yea, maybe"). Prior to our generation children stayed in the area and were semi expected to provide support for their parents if they reached an elder age. My generation expected the retirement benefits from our place of employment that our parents got. In my generation virtually nobody thought about the stock market unless that was how they made their living.
A lot of factors converged to leave us in a state of ill preparedness for the looming doom of retirement. That said most guys on my &gt;60 soccer team are prepared, maybe it's just me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I have this weird faith that I'll somehow get by, I always have and always will; but to say I'm unprepared is an understatement. My only real concern is that my wife is stuck on the same train I'm on.

eg8r
06-07-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't add words to my post. This is not MY definition of what Social Security "should be". Social Security is not, and was never intended to be, a complete retirement plan.
<hr /></blockquote> Are you this defensive in everything you do. I can't imagine you putting your name on anything. I said it was your definition (probably a definition of expectation rather SS) because you offered no proof otherwise that it was anyone else's. This is not even the point, however, your quickness to remove yourself from your own post is a funny.

The main point is that most people don't look at SS as you do (or as you have pointed it, it should be looked at). No more, no less. Now sit back and relax, my post was not attacking you at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Social Security shouldn't be called "insurance", it is "insurance". <hr /></blockquote> It should be called "insurance" if that is what it is (car insurance, home-owner insurance). Are you just being argumentative for the sake of it. Right now it is being called Security, and frankly no one feels "secure" about any part of SS. Insurance is something we dump money into with no expectation of ever having to get anything back. This is very much true of SS so it should be renamed to include the word insurance. This is not rocket science and it is evident in the more traditional sense of insurance. You don't have "car security" or home owner "security". You have car insurance, home insurance, and retirement insurance.

eg8r

Vagabond
06-07-2005, 07:38 PM
you lucky dog.
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vagabond
06-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Hi Rich R,
My apologies and I did not mean to refer to u as a old man.Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ras314
06-07-2005, 08:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> you lucky dog.
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Yeah. I don't really want to comment on FERS, though I could have switched had I been REALLY stupid.

Rich R.
06-08-2005, 04:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Are you this defensive in everything you do.
<hr /></blockquote>
I wasn't being defensive. You are the first one to tell people when they misquote you or go off topic. I was just giving you a little bit of your own medicine.

I didn't provide any proof of my statements, because it is all public record and the law. I don't have time to look up specific references. If you need proof, do the research.

BTW, I put my name to dozens of documents every day and they are much more important than this forum.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>The main point is that most people don't look at SS as you do (or as you have pointed it, it should be looked at). No more, no less. <hr /></blockquote>

Most people don't look at SS the way I do and that is a fact. Most, like yourself, sit back and make assumptions about SS, based on what they would like it to be and not on what it was actually set up to be. Since I am closer to the program than most, I know what it is suppose to be and I can tell you, from SS, you get the more bang from your bucks than from any other government program.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>It should be called "insurance" if that is what it is (car insurance, home-owner insurance). Are you just being argumentative for the sake of it. Right now it is being called Security, and frankly no one feels "secure" about any part of SS. Insurance is something we dump money into with no expectation of ever having to get anything back. This is very much true of SS so it should be renamed to include the word insurance. This is not rocket science and it is evident in the more traditional sense of insurance. You don't have "car security" or home owner "security". You have car insurance, home insurance, and retirement insurance. <hr /></blockquote>
I am not being argumentative, but as usual, you are making ignorant assumptions, without doing the research, as you expect everyone else to do.
There are several programs that fall under the Social Security Act, which are administered by the Social Security Administration.
The official name of one is "Old-Age and Survivors Insurance" and an other one is "Disability Insurance" .
These are the two main programs administered by the Social Security Administration, although there are others.
As you can see, the official names of the programs do include the word "insurance".

And no, this is not "rocket science". Although I'm closer to Social Security than most, I am no expert. I'm sure you can find a lot more information about Social Security and the programs involved via Google, if you spend the time to look, rather than just complain about things you assume to be true.

eg8r
06-08-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't being defensive. You are the first one to tell people when they misquote you or go off topic. I was just giving you a little bit of your own medicine.
<hr /></blockquote> I did not misquote you. I stated it was your definition because you said it without any proof of it being another's word.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't provide any proof of my statements, because it is all public record and the law. <hr /></blockquote> I am guessing, you did not offer the public law, you offered your paraphrased version. Which is your definition.

[ QUOTE ]
Most people don't look at SS the way I do and that is a fact. Most, like yourself, sit back and make assumptions about SS, based on what they would like it to be and not on what it was actually set up to be. Since I am closer to the program than most, I know what it is suppose to be and I can tell you, from SS, you get the more bang from your bucks than from any other government program. <hr /></blockquote> None of this matters as relevance to this post. People don't look at SS that way and that is the problem. I was agreeing with you, but you were backpedaling ownership of your own statement so fast you were unable to see this.

[ QUOTE ]
I am not being argumentative, but as usual, you are making ignorant assumptions, without doing the research, as you expect everyone else to do.
There are several programs that fall under the Social Security Act, which are administered by the Social Security Administration.
The official name of one is "Old-Age and Survivors Insurance" and an other one is "Disability Insurance" .
These are the two main programs administered by the Social Security Administration, although there are others.
As you can see, the official names of the programs do include the word "insurance".
<hr /></blockquote> Correct me if I am wrong but how is SS most often referred to (including those in the know, Congress, lay people)? If you say SS, then I don't care what you have as official names you are still misleading people. Call it what it is, don't make up extra titles that are misleading. There is nothing secure about Social Security, it is insurance.

[ QUOTE ]
if you spend the time to look, rather than just complain about things you assume to be true. <hr /></blockquote> Here you are complaining again. It is obvious I am not assuming anything. I stated SS was insurance and you proved it. Your desire to argue this is overwhelming. Time to move on. Last word is yours if you like.

eg8r

9 Ball Girl
06-08-2005, 10:36 AM
I started to work here when I was a senior in high school at 17 back in '91. (They still say "G'nite Kiddo!" LOL) Anyway, I was automtically in FERS upon my hiring.

9 Ball Girl
06-08-2005, 10:38 AM
I intended for this thread to be funny... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SpiderMan
06-08-2005, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I intended for this thread to be funny... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
The original link won't play without downloading and installing macromedia flash, so many of us never saw the funny part.

SpiderMan

catscradle
06-08-2005, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I intended for this thread to be funny... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I thought we were being funny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DebraLiStarr
06-08-2005, 12:21 PM

I think Eg8r IS funny!!!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
/ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

eg8r
06-09-2005, 05:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Eg8r IS funny!!! <hr /></blockquote> Thanks, I think. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

DebraLiStarr
06-09-2005, 06:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>
Thanks, I think. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>

Ed
I'm being genuinely nice .... we haven't argued with each other for years. It's a mutual respect thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
06-09-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ed
I'm being genuinely nice .... we haven't argued with each other for years. It's a mutual respect thing. <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif We have no reason to argue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Does your family still own the pool hall in Kississimme?

I wish I had the opportunity to go out to the pool halls more, but next time Stretch is in town, maybe we can all meet up.

eg8r &lt;~~~genuinely nice person /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DebraLiStarr
06-09-2005, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Ed
I'm being genuinely nice .... we haven't argued with each other for years. It's a mutual respect thing. <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif We have no reason to argue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Does your family still own the pool hall in Kississimme?

I wish I had the opportunity to go out to the pool halls more, but next time Stretch is in town, maybe we can all meet up.

eg8r &lt;~~~genuinely nice person /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

They sold Beach Club a few years ago. Now it is called Beach Billiards, but its not really a pool hall anymore. My Mom opened up a Restaurant near Disney (Golden China - shameless plug). I recently moved into my new home in Kissimmee and I have a new Olhausen table. I work 65-70 hrs a week so it doesn't leave much time for playing pool, so it doubles as a laundry table. I still haven't been to OBC since it reopened. When I complete my game room maybe we can have a get together at my home. I promise to be nice. lol.

catscradle
06-09-2005, 10:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> ... so it doesn't leave much time for playing pool, so it doubles as a laundry table...
<hr /></blockquote>

I read an article about Willie Mosconi in his post retirement years. When the interviewer went down in Willie's basement, what was his pool table covered with....
you guessed it, laundry. You're in good company.

eg8r
06-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Pretty interesting. Ever since I moved back to Orlando, I have been busier than when I left. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Keep me posted about the game room. Also, if you would like any helpful friendly pointers about doing a game room, ask SPetty. She has done a marvelous job with her game room. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r