PDA

View Full Version : Chris Cass Rembrances

SPetty
05-31-2005, 02:02 PM
This is my favorite Chris Cass story about the mexican beer sucking carpet:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=15028& F

Barbara
05-31-2005, 02:13 PM
I was hoping you'd repost that one!

I have a lot of good ones, but bringing back that year we were all in Vegas reminded me of when Rip and I were sweating CC's matches. CC could bust up a rack like you couldn't believe! Just watching him gave me and Rip a hernia and we'd turn to each other and say "Ouch" or something and then giggle. That poor cue ball...

But the best moment was when I located Barry and Chris at the Expo in 2004 and finally got to introduce the two to each other.

Barbara

cueball1950
05-31-2005, 06:50 PM
excellent post. I also have not been able to get Mr. C.C. off my mind today.
My favorite story about Chris is from the last time we all got together last year at the Open. I had a big surprise for Chris that i had cooked up on my own and i gave it to him at that dinner. I gave him the CCC Man Of The Year Award. It was a pool clock with his name on it describing it him being the man of the year. it also came with a pool watch. The look on his face showed how proud he was of that clock.
So what does he do. He surprises me with Grady Matthews and his wife coming to dinner with us. I firmly believe that Chris knew that there had been some bad blood between us and that this way his gentle way of getting us together to patch things up. Which we did. Always the gentle man, he knew it would work. He did claim to not know about grady and myself not seeing eye to eye, but he was real happy to see me shake hands before and after dinner with Grady like the gentleman we both are..........Go with Gods speed my Friend and in that ring game of life, you played even. Now just remember to give Frank Glenn and Dave Syrja the called 8 and let them both know that they are forever in our hearts.........................mike

Rip
05-31-2005, 07:13 PM
SPetty,
Thanks for bringing back that "had to have been there" moment. We were all in tears that day from laughing so hard. Today it's for a different reason. I feel privileged to have met Chris and his family. Like others here, I learned a lot from what he had to say and I admired the way he said it.

I'll bet Chris and Ervolino are going to be best buddies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
God speed CC,
Rip

Fran Crimi
05-31-2005, 09:04 PM
SPetty, I've been thinking of Chris today as well....

I remember the first time I met Chris. It was in Vegas and I knew who he was before he knew who I was. So I went up to him and said, "So I hear you're quite a gambler. Do you gamble against women?" He just looked at me in shock. He said, "No, I'm not really a big gambler, and I don't usually gamble against women." So I said, "Want to play me some 9 Ball for some cash?" The poor guy just didn't know what to say. He said, "No, really, I'm just here with my wife and son just enjoying playing in the tournament.

So I said, "So you have a problem with women?" Again, he was as nice as can be, and clearly uncomfortable. He said, "No! No! not at all, it's just that I'm here with my family to have fun."

Finally I decided to let him off the hook. I said, "I know you're Chris Cass." He was shocked. "You do? How do you know that?" I said, Because I'm Fran Crimi.

He broke into this huge ear-to-ear grin and started laughing. Then we hugged. Over the years he always ended his correspondence to me with "Give yourself a hug for me."

Fran

CarolNYC
06-01-2005, 12:51 AM
Yep, that was the post,Spetty,
March of 2002-right after 9/11-to find Chris was my main goal-I remember not finding his name (cause vowels) and standing near the main cashier and seeing this couple walking on the red carpet (cause children are only allowed to walk on the carpet) and I KNEW it was him-thats all she wrote!And by the pool, Christ had a tattoo of a dagger-that was too cool!
Then seeing him outside at SBE-I couldnt let him go-theres too many emails,pms ,messages,inspirations to mention,but I really will miss him and will ALWAYS think about him!
Peace!
Carol

Wally_in_Cincy
06-01-2005, 05:37 AM
The thing I will remember most about CC was that he never got involved in any of the flame wars on here, unless he was trying to be a peacemaker.

I don't think he had a mean bone in his body.

rukiddingme
06-01-2005, 06:25 AM
I was visiting my brother inlaw and sister in law in East Moline and decided to walk in Leisure Time to play some pool.
I got on a 9ft table and started running some drills that Scott Lee had shown me. I'm not paying too much attention but I notice that there is a woman playing next to me and she is doing some very similar drills. A guy walks up to the woman and says "wow I've not seen people trying to match up during drills in a long time".
I'm thinking to myself what is that all about. After a period of time we get comfortable enough to start talking to each other and I tell them that I'm from out of town visiting family and all. Before I leave, I ask them if they had ever heard of the CCB board and there faces light up and they proceed to tell me they are on there all the time posting as Chris Cass and Karatemom. I said "rukiddingme"...they said "no"...I said "really I'm rukiddingme".
We laughed and hugged like old friends.
Actually we have been friends ever since. Everytime I go to the QC I look them up and we play a little at Leisure Time.
Chris helped me get a good deal on a Ned Morris cue I bought. He took the time to give me some pointers on how to improve my stroke.
I'd especially enjoyed the interaction Chris had with Spike...they'd woof it up pretty well.
It was really nice to see how well Chris was rehabilitating from his ordeal with the cancer. Although it was slow, every time I saw him he had gained strength, weight, and there was color to his face and a sparkle in his eye. He had a new lease on life and he was going to go full ahead. What a shock it was to hear the cancer came back. He never gave up though.
I'll never forget Chris...the love he had for life, his family, friends and pool.
As I have said before, I'm a better person for having met him.
God bless you Chris. I know you'll be looking out for Heide and Spike always.
ruk

Scott Lee
06-01-2005, 12:10 PM
mike...Don't let Chris fool ya! lol He had called me, after speaking with Grady about the dinner, because he was worried that you might not "get along" with Grady! I told him, in my best NY accent, "fugedaboutit...mike will LOVE it!"...and that turned out to be true, huh?

My first meeting with CC was at JimS's house, where the three of us proceeded to put in 8 hours on his Diamond table, having a blast with each other! I am lucky enough to have a picture (taken with a timer on Jim's camera), that is posted on my talisman page)... www.talismanbilliards.com/scottlee.asp (http://www.talismanbilliards.com/scottlee.asp)

My only regret is that we were never able to reprise that wonderful day, although I had LOTS of times with CC, including taking he and Spike, with me to VF in 2003!

God Bless you buddy! I'll miss ya forever... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott

SPetty
06-01-2005, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>I am lucky enough to have a picture (taken with a timer on Jim's camera)<hr /></blockquote> http://www.talismanbilliards.com/images/ScottFriends.jpg

Scott Lee
06-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Thanks SPetty! THAT'S the way I want to remember CC...healthy and vibrant!

Scott

shoutout33
06-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey all. Damn. Just read the reply Ruk sent me about Chris. Which one is Cass in this pic? I never even got a chance to meet him in person. The big thing for me was that he was from my hometown, the Quad-Cities. Damn I miss him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif God Bless you Chris and much love...always.

Daris L. Cotton (AKA Shoutout)

shoutout33
06-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Never mind...I know who is who now. Still can't believe he's gone you guys.

Voodoo Daddy
06-01-2005, 02:24 PM
My fondest memory of Chris goes back to a winter when he was stuck in the house, bored to tears and a box arrived at is place FULL of accustat tapes I sent him. He called me raving about them, all I said was enjoy them and send 'em back, HAHAHA. Months later I get a package in the mail from Corn Field heaven from him and the family. Inside it was 2 hats that had "Szamboti Custom Cues" embriodered on them with some business cards from Barry and Gus. I was floored, called him to thank him, he just laughed and said "I hope the hat fits" &lt;knowing I have a LARGE MELLON&gt;. I still hear him laugh..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Voodoo Daddy
06-02-2005, 12:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rip:</font><hr> I'll bet Chris and Ervolino are going to be best buddies. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
God speed CC,
Rip
<hr /></blockquote>

Amen Rip...I know they will /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JimS
06-03-2005, 05:53 AM
In the picture it's me on the left, Scott Lee in the middle and Chris on the right. We had a lot of fun that day/night.... and I think it was more like 12 hours!

Perk
06-03-2005, 10:34 AM
I will remember the good heartfull and thoughtfull posts that Chris always seemed to type. He seemed to have a gift in that way to touch everyone in the right way.

I specifically will remember last October when I got to meet CC, KarateMom, and Spike. The first thing out of his mouth was "WOW, Perk, your just a youngster. I thought you were quite a bit older!" Was a funny moment at that time.

After getting to meet his family, it was very easy to see the impact he has on them, and that he is definately true to his form on this board. He will be missed!

DebraLiStarr
06-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Chris was always very nice. Even though he had cancer he took the time to pass along words of encouragement to me during a very difficult time in my life. I will never forget that. He was a very special person with a very special heart. His suffering is over.

Troy
06-03-2005, 01:55 PM
CC was in the hospital about the same time I was going through my "ordeal", but he had the thoughtfulness to give me his phone number in case I needed to talk with someone.
I will never forget that act of supreme kindness.
May CC Rest in Peace.

Troy

Vagabond
06-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Howdy,
I never met chris.I always thought that he is a nice guy.One time in a post refering to me he said that he did not know whether I am a man or woman for long time.I got a kick out of that.
10 weeks before he passed away we had exchange of E-mails regards the benefit of eating grapes.
May his soul rest in peace.
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sid_Vicious
06-04-2005, 08:06 AM
It's been stated that if you really want to know what kinda of a person someone was in life that you can see what people say about them after they are gone. Well we see here what kind of person Chris was in this world, and we should all aspire in general to become more like him. What he did here was genuine, he did not muddy up water, he only "gave" and "cared" at times of other people's troubles and angry spells. Chris was a diplomat above diplomats, just a plain and yet not so simple man who wished all others well in all that they chose to do. I personally was gifted in being able to talk with Chris during those last weeks, Chris certainly with excuses to become depressed and seclusive, but NO, Chris was still offering help with a phenolic tip install for me, using his influence with the cue maker for me,,,what a fine man we are going to be living without in this world today. Chris wanted to live with a passion, and anyone who had the pleasure of hearing his voice will understand the impression it made on me to hear just that phrase, I'll carry those words with me forever.

I've always dreaded the day that would be required to collect here and mourn Chris' passing, I prayed it wouldn't be necessary, but even if we'd not had the cancer to blame, eventually there would have been something to alter our ability to keep him. What his battle taught me was a grand lesson in good will and absolute caring for all others, an unselfish expression from someone who was the greatest expression, of the universe's greatest artist. God gave us the greatest gift in that we all had the time here to share with him, and that my friends is the real treasure.

I still have a video Chris sent me a couple of years ago when he sent me some Sumo tips, one conditioned in milk and pressed in a vice, one of his tricks of the trade, the video supposedly has him giving a personal lesson in the technique. I have not seen it, and to tell the truth I am saving it for a solemn moment so I can intimately react to the reality of today, and I imagine I'll smile a bit but cry a lot when the VCR hums away with the persona of our lost comrade of this sport, more importantly someone we all should aspire to learn from concerning the way we react to one another. Chris may be gone from this earth but he is still inside each of us who took the time to let him in to our inner souls, that part of ourselves we seldom show the world. That was what Chris did with all of us here, be it the ones who warmly sided next to him or the ones who didn't. It is that unselfish, nonjudgmental, loving man whom I will remember. Life does indeed go on and yet it can't possibly do as well without this man to help it along.

I honestly wish everyone well and that we each have just a fraction of the outpouring that Chris has gotten here added to our own testimonial words following that last day we each have here on this earth, I know that I do, and Chris wants the same even today for everyone.

"I'll see you latter CC, and we'll find felt amongst the puffy clouds for a set."

Sincerely,
Sid

haywood
06-23-2005, 10:53 PM
I know I haven't posted in quite some time, and never really did stay up with all that was going on with the CCB (this is the first time I have even read anything from it in about 4 months), but I thought I'd say a thing or two about Chris.

I had the priviledge of playing some with him at his local room a few times when I was passing through town with my job. Each time I got to spend some time there, I learned a little more about pool, had some great laughs, and learned even more about being the best person you can be. Traveling the country the way I do with my job, I meet a lot of people. Chris was one of those 1 in a trillion people that you just don't come across very often.

I think the best way to describe what I think of Chris is total class, and nothing but heart. He hadn't known me for 10 minutes and made me feel as if I had been his best friend all of his life. Judging by all of the kind words that I have read in regards to Chris from everyone on this board, I think it's safe to say that he made everyone feel like they were his best friend. I'll reiterate all of the other posts I have read from other users here and say that I'll dearly miss Chris and the way that he approached life. My prayers will be with you Heide and Spike.